360 - 360 Oil Pressure Sender | FerrariChat

360 360 Oil Pressure Sender

Discussion in '360/430' started by delaney, Oct 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Replacing the oil pressure sender on my 360 2003 Spider.

Did a search and found the VDO 360-021 gauge will fit... rather than OEM.

I know it needs a thread converter but can’t find details. Appreciate some guidance.

Regards.

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I used VDO part #360-025 with this adapter.
    http://www.issprogauges.com/Metric-Adapter-Fitting-p/iss-r7965.htm

brookliner7 likes this.
  3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  5. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Thanks...appreciate the quick replies.

Question.... is the OEM sender made by VDO?

or...

Do people replace by the VDO sender because it’s cheaper or more reliable than OEM.

Thanks.

6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes, made in Germany.

brookliner7 likes this.
  7. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Got the new oil sender in...the VDO gauge that needs the thread crossover. Made sure to connect the WRK terminal to the original wire...not to G. Started the car and pressure was maxed on the gauge at 140. Engine still cold. Haven't driven it yet to see if it settles to a more reasonable figure.

Anyone have similar experience? Comments.

Appreciate it.

8. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I think you have the terminals reversed - G is the variable signal, WK is warning light which 360 does not use. Connect the signal wire to "G" terminal.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Agree with this. Turn the ignition to accessory and look through the rear window as you change the terminals. If it jumps all the way to the right, its grounding out and the wrong one.

10. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Ok I’ll try this but when the ignition is on the gauge reads 0 psi. It’s only when the engine is running that the needle climbs to 140.

I was also real careful to look at the old connections when I took them off.

Appreciate the help.

11. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Ok I reversed my connections.... how does it go... mea culpa mea culpa etc. You were both correct. Thank you.

I was so damn careful as well... even marked the old connection on the car, and colored the new connection in case it was difficult to see the G and WRK.

I think I am the first recorded case of mechanical dyslexia!

Thank you both again.

12. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #12 Performify, Aug 21, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    I ended up going this direction and am having trouble -- received my VDO 360-021 and R7965 adaptor i am assuming the nut pictured on the back of the VDO sender will spin off and the adapter spins on in its place? But i can't seem to break it free with the wrenches i've got / holding the VDO unit in a vice.

Does anyone have any suggestions or am i doing something stupid / did i get the wrong stuff?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The R7965 adapter is only used on the VDO #360-025 sender.

Performify likes this.
  14. Performify

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #14 Performify, Aug 21, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    doh. thanks @mello

So VDO 360-021 has thread: 1/4"-18 NPT -- am i correct in assuming I need a M18 to 1/4" NPTF adaptor? Anyone have an immediate suggestion / can someone confirm so I don't mess up again? :)

looks like https://www.fittings.space/gtm2p-m18x15m-08zf is an option? Another seems to be https://www.threadtoolsupply.com/m18x15-to-12-14-npt-steel-thread-adapter.html

Edit: for anyone who comes along after me.

VDO 360-025 has thread 1/8"-27 NPT and needs adaptor R7965 to go from M18 X 1.5 to 1/8" NPTF

VDO 360-021 has thread: 1/4"-18 NPT and needs adaptor (options above) to go from M18 X 1.5 to 1/4" NPTF. DO NOT order R7965 with VDO 360-021, as above.

15. Performify

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    just leaving additional breadcrumbs for anyone coming behind -- here's the thread that got me to order the VDO 360-021 instead of the -025.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/360-oil-sending-unit-sensor.433173/#post-142819273

Specifically, the -025 has the two poles which would be needed for the warning light on the F430, would work on the 360 but would potentially add confusion at install time. The -021 only has the one pole so nothing to mistakenly connect to.

16. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When I did the sender replacement years ago, I was hard-pressed to find the right adapter for the 360-021. That's why I went the 360-025 with the R7965 adapter route. You might just have to do the same. BTW, I put a silicone sock on the new sender to protect it from the engine temperature. I bought it from Ricambi, and not an exact fit for the 360-025. Had to make some cuts to it to make it fit.

17. Performify

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks mello. Definitely causing more work for myself at this stage.

Note to anyone following along the two adaptors I listed above ARE NOT right. those are 1/2 NPT and not 1/4.

This so far appears to be the only option i can find on the internet: https://www.fittings.space/gtm2p-04zf-m18x15m
    (and i am definitely not an expert and definitely not sure it will work yet).

18. Doctodd

Doctodd Rookie

Mar 12, 2022
    Hutto Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Riggan
    Hello,I am encountering some fluctuations in my oil pressure reading and am considering changing the oil sender on my 2004 360. Performity did this adapter work for you? “This so far appears to be the only option i can find on the internet: https://www.fittings.space/gtm2p-04zf-m18x15m
    And can anyone direct me to a thread that shows the procedure.
    Thanks,
    Todd

19. Performify

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've taken a very different approach after several super expensive and super frustrating lessons learned in Ferrari ownership.

1) don't try to save money on hacky parts / approaches, just do things right the first time

2) labor (even my own) is way more expensive than parts in almost every case (but not every case)

As such -- I'd personally only use the Ferrari part here. it's $120 from Eurospares.
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/Parts/135940/Ferrari/New/45014

Not to say that I don't take advantage of Maserati parts when they're direct compatible, or buying Bosch MAFs without the Ferrari logo -- but things like this where the part isn't a direct compatible and requires an adaptor? Too much risk to save too little dollars in my book. Costs way more time and effort to get to the part than it's worth in savings.

YMMV etc.

Doctor Mark likes this.
  20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Just to echo the above, when the sender went on my car.. I bought a direct Ferrari replacement from Ricambi. It was like $140 bucks? $160 maybe?.. but I knew it would work. Just unbolt the terminals and oil filter for room, unscrew with wrench, screw back on and done.

BrettC and Performify like this.
  21. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’d have no problem fitting a vdo oil pressure sensor, just make sure any adapters are up to the task of vibrations heat pressure w a 8500 rpm exotic.

Im not sure I’d want to run that pictured adapter w what appears to be a rubber o ring…. I would not want to pump the oil out of my Fcar.