400i on BAT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400i on BAT

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by JMFC, Oct 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Has anyone had experience with Coker tire? At least they're on this side of The Pond and so should be significantly less in shipping charges.

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not necessarily, get quotes from both. Longstone orders arrive quickly, given the strength of the USD vs. GBP it might be cheaper.

3. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    SF Jeff....Welcome to the group...and congrats !

I got a set of Coker tires a few months back, good deal, cheaper and faster.....unbelievable difference from the OLD hard rubber I had before...plus they are local and I have used them before for other vintage cars I owned.

I agree on shipping the car to home base and finding a local shop....if you don't do your own work, you will need to be on a first name basis with your local "Guy".
    Before I bought my non-running car, I spent dozens of hours reading every page of these threads in this group, ( tons of great info here ), I wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting involved with, but this group was shorter then also ! There are several threads listing suppliers, dealers and info on these cars, use the "search function" first.....but someone here probably has the answer to your questions.

Gary

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You would think that, but in recent years I have not found that to be true. Longstone has general been the best, and Dougal is absolutely the most knowledgeable and helpful.

5. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    That is what appears to have been done - the importer just put a sticker over the speedometer and did nothing with the odometer. You can check this against highway mile markers. Go for five miles or so and see if your odometer matches.
    You already got your answer on the dinoplex.

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Jeff
    I would skip the valve adjustment. At 70K+ miles mine were all in spec.

I stopped using Baldwin filters and went back to UFI's. The Baldwin filters leaked back to sump in spite of the "check valve" flap in them. Lots of F-owners use Baldwin but I prefer UFI's for only a few bucks more.
    Ken

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Congratulations on that car, Jeff.

Julian Majzub (Google him) convinced me to not use Coker. At least on my Pur Sang Bugatti.

Matt

8. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    OK, so then the next question is what 16" or 17" wheels will bolt on so I can use standard size tires? Anyone out there that has changed to standard size wheels?

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    You can buy some replica metric wheels for the 308, add some spacers and this will "do", but the car looks much better with the TRX.

If you want it "stock" you could try the pre TRX rims that are 15' as seen on the 400carb and first 400i, but the small tires do struggle to keep the car on track.

In France it's a no brainer: tires can be purchased for 385€ Vat and shipping included. If I were you, I would try cocker: as long as the date code on the tire is OK, a Michelin is a Michelin...

10. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Spring for the right tires on the correct wheels - you'll be much happier about how it looks and drives. Just my opinion though.

11. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    You are correct and I did. The cost of finding four wheels that would work plus tires would well exceed the cost of the correct tires. Ordered a set of TRX from Longstone yesterday. Coker only had one in stock and four from Longstone will be at the shop from 6-10 days. I think about $50 more than Coker but shipping is "included".

raemin and james.colangelo like this.
  12. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Hi Jeff,

I'm a new 400i owner as well - I just posted actually. I have had experience with Coker but mostly for wide white walls for other types of cars. I'm not sure about the TRX's. I too will be looking at some TRX tires for my car. My personal preference would be to keep these tires on the car as it's how it came and for me, looks the best. Not everyone agrees but I think you and I are in the same boat. I checked out the other tire shop mentioned here but the UK location seems more $$$ to me as well.

13. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Hi Jeff and James, I recommended Longstone before and will again. They know these cars and they get fresh rubber on a regular basis.

james.colangelo likes this.
  14. Macula

Macula Rookie

May 3, 2011
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    I also ordered a set of Michelins recently from Longstone. They showed up three days later at my doorsteps in NJ and there was no shipping charges. I would recommend them.

james.colangelo likes this.
  15. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    The TRX tires are not a bad tire; the price is the only issue. They once got me home in 2" of unexpected snow.

I opted for the replica 16" wheels from Superformance. You order four front wheels for a 328 (I think); Superformance knows the setup for the 400i and there is no surcharge for an "abnormal" set. Visually the replicas are very good and original looking; keep your old yellow caps as ones with the wheels have a real scary horse on them! Cost in 2013 was 870 Pounds = $1318 at 2013 exchange rate, including shipping.

You will need 12 mm spacers on all four wheels. My spacers were made by Tech Doc (n Florida) for $145. I sent him a sketch with dimensions. He messed up the rears on first try but all he had to do was cut additional metal to get them right. He was good to work with. You can use your original lug bolts since spacers make up for wheel hubs being thinner by 12 mm.

I wanted to keep speedo the same calibration so I use 235/60 R16 tires which are within 1 mm rolling circumference of the TRX's. This size is less common than most 'low profile' 16" tires, but you will still have many choices. I am now on my second set of Falkens. They are good all-season tires and just over $100 each. Wear is higher than the Michelins but ride is nicer and handling is same or slightly better. Since I use my car on long trips I often get caught in the rain and they are quite safe in the rain.

Visually the replicas and relatively high profile tires do not change the look of the car.
    Ken

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Post pics

17. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
  18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just adding doc... Chassis 40549 is on BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-ferrari-400i-16/

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso likes this.
  19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Il Tifoso likes this.
  20. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hi guys! Thanks for the tip on the listing Sam. I had forgotten all about this thread, interesting to read after having the 400 for a couple of years.

Yes, the car needed A LOT of "deferred" maintenance plus some repair/replacement of a number of things from sheer neglect. But I think I got everything done, it's an awesome ride now. Too bad about the troll during the auction, I think he put enough of a dampener of the bidding as to chase away possible buyers.

The tune-up by Exclusive in Phoenix made a world of difference. Although the new rotor and distributor cost a fortune, I think it was worth it. A couple of operational things to sort out still. At full throttle, I'd like to have the shift points higher. Probably an adjustment in the TH400 that nearly any shop could do, will check it out. Still some smoke on cold start, I need to go thru the K-jet. Also would like to check the 02 readings. And get rid of a couple of the last vestiges of the Fed conversion. Looks like I'm getting another P/S leak, will have to check it out too.

So what's the collective estimate on the value of this car? I get positive comments on it everywhere I go so now with the No Sale I'm really torn as to whether i should try selling it again (probably Hemmings) or just fix the few minor issues and just keep driving it?.

21. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Keep it and drive it and enjoy it for what it is - the last of the front engine, V12s built while Enzo was alive and at the helm.

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jeff,

Given my observation of BaT, I have to say that it appears to be one of the best sales venues in terms of reaching a a very large audience (Worldwide, but mostly in the US) along with maximizing the sales price. However, this does come at a price with a lot of upfront time/investment in prepping the auto for the auction, but also "wild west" style commentary section which is a double-edge sword. From the auctions I witnessed, the ones that do the best are those where the auto's pics, driving videos, etc are done to a very high standard and/or professionally done. If not, then the auto, pics, video will be nitpicked constantly. The second item is that the auto has to polished, presented, and detailed in order to maximize the bids, but also to minimize the nitpicker's comments. Thirdly, any items that need attention, need to be addressed prior to the auction. Although you and others may overlook these items, many of the Bat Bidders and commentors will not and the auction will see limited bids and lots of sly comments. Many of the BaT bidders/buyers are not overly versed at the item being auctioned and so they rely on what is posted in the comments, but also what they visibly see. Consequently, any of the car's flaws, or maintenance issues, or comment battles will simply deter them from auction participation. Lastly, any owner/commentor battles do not help the auction sale... and so it is best to be as diplomatic as possible. This may be extremely challenging, but you, the owner, have far more to lose than the nasty commentor. Now, my comments are not in defence of BaT or your auction's result, but simply my observations ... nothing more, nothing less.

With regards to your car... it really depends on your intentions. Do you wish to sell as is or you wish to maximize the selling price? if you wish to sell as is then the sale price will be variable and will be on the low side, as the market with a car with needs will be lower than the car that does not. If you wish to maximize the price, then some items need to be addressed and especially those that are immediately visible... like your seats, dash, etc. Secondly, once all is done, then the car needs high quality detailing with excellent pictures and videos created. All of this does require an investment, but it is the only way to maximize the sale price along with attracting the largest group of buyers... which affects the first part. Now, depending upon the repair/maintenance costs... if these costs are larger-ish, then it may be worth to enjoy the car for a year or so in order to benefit from this investment before selling.

Cheers,

Sam

23. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Sam,

Thanks for your comments, pretty much along the lines of others with whom I've spoken about putting a car up for bid. And I agree with your/Daren comment about enjoying it for a while. I have put some significant money into it and it seems it would be a bit of a shame to just pass it on.

Jeff

Schumi likes this.
  24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jeff,

You are most welcome!

Indeed, you put lots of $ into the car and so if you are not in a hurry, I would enjoy the car for a bit so you can enjoy the investment in both $ and time you have made... it makes the $/time hurt less when you are having fun with the car!

Cheers,

Sam