812 Spider | Page 61 | FerrariChat

812 Spider

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MalibuGuy, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #1501 glob1971, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    There are plenty cars exciting to drive, not limited to 812 GTS. My 599 GTO and 458 Speciale especially. I need something more and exclusivity is a part of it.

Veloce12, IloveGT and Nicolas21 like this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am sorry but the scarcity argument is nothing more than an ego boost. It has nothing to do with the car itself.

3. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Keep your lessons for yourself, we don’t need your BS here. So back to 812 GTS, if you have an opinion please share it here.

Veloce12 likes this.
  4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You've given precise production numbers so you are more knowledgeable than most here. If low depreciation is a must for your then only numbered editions and hyper cars have the better odds for that. Looks like moving forward all production models will be similar low volume so the value of scarcity will drop drastically IMO. It comes back to the spec and the car itself and how well it is received which I think is a good thing. Of course, paradoxically not driving it is perceived as the best retention of value.

glob1971 and gzachary like this.
  5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Seems to me there will be no numbered models except Icona series and LaF replacement, both of which are seven-figure cars most likely. Any idea what the next Icona V12 will be?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I may be eligible for an 812 “Tdf” having just missed an F12 allocation narrowly - have had other LEs. Wonder if it’s un-numbered whether the market will treat it harshly.

Rear wheel drive on slicks at 840 bhp needs to be in experienced hands.....

7. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think you can look at the current 488 Pista Aperta and the 458 Speciale Aperta as a direct reference point. One is numbered and the other one is not. Besides the turbos, not having it numbered does that make it less desirable to you?

day355, Caeruleus11 and Art_collector like this.
  8. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Thats what Pagani, Bugatti and Koenig can offer

9. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    #1509 Scraggy, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2019
    Of course as although the Pista is objectively the “better” car, scarcity is all in the luxury market. Look at steel Nautilus or a Burkan bag. The 458 SA was a maginificent amd at 499 examples very rare.

Although the SA is softening fast I think it’s by far the better bet purely in investment terms, though one can never be sure. 599 GTO carries a much more famous moniker and is low volume but soft in the market compared to Tdf.

10. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Famous moniker, sorry. Spell check.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yes. Both the turbos and not numbered. The 458 Special A also had rarity when low volume drove value.

12. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Big big yes to bugatti!!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    My opinion is that the coupe is the better driver's car and that you need to get over your self importance.

Shack likes this.
  14. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Pick of the bunch for sure :)

In the meantime until I can afford it 812GTS will do ....

15. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think it will be the same as other recent LEs, a big jump in price for the first year or so and then a gradual drift down as the next new thing is announced and people start turning their cars in for trade. IMHO it will be similar to the trajectory of F12TDF but with less of an initial jump due to larger production numbers. I think the smart move (if you want to get out of it) would be to not create a $$ TM car, I am surprised at how many "forever" spec TDFs are now available for sale.

Caeruleus11 and nads like this.
  16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Some of these special limited products are becoming victims of their own success.
    Birkin bags are no longer as desirable and expensive as they used to be.
    Not long ago they were selling at large premiums over the original price, today brand new, never used bags sell at discount.
    The most exclusive, alligator skin, priced new at $60k+, sell on secondary market at 30% discount.
    Natural progress with some of these things, nothing stays exclusive forever and it's a predictor of future prices for new, even "limited" Ferraris (IMO).
    Besides, they call "limited" a production of 800-1000 cars, I find it a bit of a stretch, that approach makes all models made in 60s and 70s "limited".

17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Excellent comment, fully agree. Thank you.

Marcel Massini

Spider68 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    IMHO for the Pista Spider it will only be after production run is ended will the market know how many there are. The numbers are not huge, more than 458 SA but judging by allocations not greatly so. But the market dynamic is different now, Ferrari will have launched another 3 cars , and market premiums in recent years have been driven by relative exclusivity and above all by certain people wanting the latest car. When it is "old" they drop like a stone. For those customers it is not about the money but being seen with the newest and rare cars. Look at drop with TDF in last 6 months.

Until Ferrari announce the next generation concept of V12 platforms, and whatever that will mean for the powertrain, will the current standalone V12 NA find its level.

We are heading ever closer to a generation of electric only cars, even the last years of hybrid powertrains and GPF and will lose the edge and raw emotion of say a TDF or a Speciale. Even the standard cars of this last generation are going to very special cars to own and keep . We are also getting closer to the point when it is far better to buy these cars, as you want them, and keep them. Keep them a long time and enjoy them and cherish them. These really are the end of an era never to be repeated and forget just the numbered cars, any Ferrari is rare in the context of the total market. Some will move wit. the times, we will see full electric Ferraris in my life time, but for some of the oldies, the engine, and particularly the Ferrari engine will always be and will remain the essence of the brand. Would you buy a digital Patek ? Exactly. So stuff the depreciation, enjoy it, you cannot take it with you. ( nothing aimed at Scraggy was just the stimulus )

Spider68, KenU, day355 and 7 others like this.
  19. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    For now........:D;)

20. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    The 599 single clutch transmission in the GTO has made the TDF more desirable. Also the handling is much better in the TDF. They are both normally aspirated V12’s so why not pick the better car?

In the Pista vs SA you have the last and most powerful normally aspirated V8 against a slightly better turbo. I own both, but if I had to sell one it would be the Pista.

Unlike the V12’s which are similar the last non turbo V8 is very desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    By that logic a 250 GTO should be worth no more than $250.00 :D
    Ah.......if only all things in life were so simple.

glob1971 likes this.
  22. Deemeyere Wim

Deemeyere Wim Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere
  23. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Yes agree re SA its lovely, though I sadly came out of mine, cant just keep adding sadly.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Nice post.

montpellier likes this.
  25. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013