Sticky button on my 458 | FerrariChat

Sticky button on my 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jackwong, Sep 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jackwong

Jackwong Rookie

Oct 31, 2018
    HONG Kong
    Full Name:
    WONG TAN
  2. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    And - what is your secret sauce?

3. Jackwong

Jackwong Rookie

Oct 31, 2018
    HONG Kong
    Full Name:
    WONG TAN
    Dunlop 65
    Fresh lemon juice and alchol

Hard work but fun to work ur own car

Jordan68 and Ash Patel like this.
  4. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This should be a sticky thread or whatever it's called as it is extremely helpful info for all F-car owners (even though it seems most common on the 458 I assume same issue can arise on F12, 488, 812, and F8 and Pista eventually if not garage queened)

5. Jackwong

Jackwong Rookie

Oct 31, 2018
    HONG Kong
    Full Name:
    WONG TAN
    I will help my friend to do the same thing in a few days and will post some of the before and after picture for u guys to have a look

I hope can make some casual cash whenever have time

Tool need
    Dunlop 65
    Fresh lemon juice ( 10 nos)
    Alchol for hand wash
    Lots of white cotton cloth
    Water
    30 hours of work ( one person) and need to take off some of the parts

6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    When I had my 360 did all my Stickies with Leatherique Cleaner. The Process was safe, worked well, no worry's if the solution got on the leather. Started by putting a small amt. on the sicky part the night before to breakdown (soften). Next day, small amts. Leatherique cleaner and old cotton wash rags, elbow grease. No problems with post sheen on the plastic parts or issues with leather.
    Now I have 458 & no problems yet. Matter of time I guess esp. living in Fl.

Jordan68 and Ash Patel like this.
  7. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
  8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    “As a result of the analysis conducted in our laboratory” LOL .

They forgot to mention the macoomba and the Witch Doctor.

So this magic potion will re-polymerize sticky buttons? Impressive.....

PJxxx, Ash Patel and Cigarzman like this.
  9. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    No, I think this cleaning detergent will NOT depolymerize button coatings.

10. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Edit: No, I think this means, that this....

11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Ok, so this memo is from 2016. Every Ferrari owner should have immediately purchased their solution, and not have experienced sticky buttons.

Anyone on this forum used this with success?

12. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
  13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

What a bunch of BS. FAKE NEWS ! Why not be honest and say “we use inferior parts “ made by some family member whom they don’t want to upset.

tekaefixe likes this.
  14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    C’mon Kirk, this is Ferrari we’re dealing with here.

BTW, I read the label for Lechler 00665, a ‘special’ silicone degreaser without volatile organics. Sounds like Dove dishwater soap to me, sans the Witch Doctor......

Cigarzman likes this.
  15. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    Interestingly, this product is nearly impossible to get in the US.

Cigarzman likes this.
  16. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    send them to sticky RX, they will handle all your needs and it wont happen ever again.

RayJohns likes this.
  17. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    We are a Ferrarichat sponsor and here to help. Email with any sticky issues.

Vegas CS likes this.
  18. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    docf likes this.
  19. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Bigo thanks for the tip. I have just ordered part #00665 from my Ferrari Dealer. It is not cheap & they described it as a kit. Retails for $100.00. My 15 458 has no sticky's yet, but living in Fl. it is a future prime candidate I guess. Thanks docf

Viperjoe likes this.
  20. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    During my next 458 service, I need my lift button removed and sent to you Robbie.

21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    +1

My vote goes to Sticky RX as well. The quality of their finish is second to none.

Anyone facing this decaying button issue here on Ferrarichat would really be well served to educate themselves by watching Sticky RX's youtube channel, especially their couple of videos where they compare the quality of different finishes available out in the market today and show how the process works, etc. It's pretty fascinating to watch. To each their own as far as what service is ultimately selected; but with Sticky RX's process, my understanding is that you'll never have to refinish your buttons again. Their equipment, attention to detail and workmanship is amazing from what I've seen in their videos and on their Instagram page.

Ray

22. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agreed that sticky RX looks and likely is top notch but they are significantly higher than SNM. In the RX video I don’t believe they specifically call out sticky no more as one of the examples of poor work and the reviews on sticky no more are very good. In no way am I knocking RX, work or value, just noting there is a big difference in price. I’m going to send all my center console buttons to sticky no more soon and I will report back

Vegas CS likes this.
  23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    There might be a big difference in price, but if you were to actually run into a situation where the surface finish failed for some reason, then you also have to factor in the cost of disassembling the dash a second time and paying to have it re-done all over again.

What is the cost difference exactly? I've never had to refinish any buttons on any of my cars (thankfully). However, I have had to take apart sections of the dash and interior on cars like the 360 and 458 and I can tell you first hand, that is a nightmare of a job. Ferrari doesn't exactly put a lot of thought into making their interiors easy to assemble or disassemble. How the people at the factory manage to install some of the interior screws, when the car is coming down the assembly line, is beyond me. I've had to spend 30 minutes before, just to secure one console screw before (because it was upside down and backwards and basically impossible to reach). Gotta love Ferrari sometimes haha :)

All that aside, in my experience, it's always best to test things yourself, first hand. So here is what I would suggest (and this is often how I approach things here when working on cars or different things). Why not buy yourself a couple of used Ferrari buttons or something (e.g. off eBay) and then send one to Sticky RX and send the other to Sticky No More or whatever other companies you are considering using. Then when you get both back, just test them yourself with chemicals or your finger nails or have your wife run her jewelry over them or something. Then there is no further doubt. Or leave them in the sun for a month and see how they stand up to UV exposure.

This is exactly what I did, when I was going to sew a new Alcantara dash for my 458. I wanted to see just how much of a difference there was between nylon thread and polyester thread, when it came to UV rays. So I just ordered some thread samples and left them sitting outside on the wood pile for 30 days. That was a pretty good test to see how durable your dashboard thread is gonna be!

There's something else you really have to keep in mind here: when it comes to a lot of people on a forum giving their "glowing recommendations", you generally will only find positive comments. Nobody wants to be the one guy who says, "That company does crappy work". Even if someone does have personal knowledge of one company doing inferior work, often times they won't discuss it publicly. Additionally, you have to keep in mind that, because most people giving their opinions have used the company or product they are talking about, they naturally want to provide a glowing report about what they, themselves, already own or decided to use. Few people say, "I went with XYZ company and it ruined my car's interior and I'm just a big dummy who didn't do their research". Most people have very little technical knowledge to begin with anyway, so largely reviews are usually more opinion based than factual based.

Let me give you a perfect example of this, which I ran into first hand some years ago myself, when dealing with Chainsaws. As anyone who has ever watched my YouTube channel knows, I mess around with Stihl chainsaws now and then. I have rebuilt maybe 8 or 10 saws over the years. Okay, so 99% of the time, I do all my own work, from start to finish - this includes tearing down the saws clear to the crankshaft and rebuilding them from the ground up, repainting them, cleaning them, etc, etc. Normally, I do this because finding someone who can do quality small engine work is next to impossible. Also, I'm an absolute protectionist when it comes to most things, and so what I deem to be high quality craftsmanship is usually much above what the average person views to be high quality.

Okay, so a while back I was getting all geared up to build myself a hybrid Stihl MS260/026 saw. It's a bit of a complex and involved job, because you have to swap together a lot of different parts in order to end up with a correctly functioning saw. Anyway, so while I was shopping around for all the parts I needed, I noticed a guy already selling basically the exact saw I was going to build on eBay - all for less than what it would cost me to even start to buy the parts. Normally, I would never dream of buying a saw built by someone else. But in this case, I did some research and quickly found that he had just countless positive reviews across all the chainsaw forums. Everyone and their brother was saying stuff like "he built my saw and it's phenomenal", "best of all my saws", "this guy does absolute top quality work". It just went on and on. I couldn't find even one remotely negative review about the saws he was building and selling.

Wow, great! So (again, against my better judgement), I decided to take a chance and just buy one of his saws off eBay. I mean, he even included a 1 year warranty!

The saw arrived about a week later and sure enough, it looked fantastic! As soon as I had a chance, I took it out back and used it to cut up some fallen pine trees. Pine is soft word, so it should have zipped right through these relatively small and soft tree trunks. But, hmm.. it sure seemed under powered to me. Okay, well, maybe it just needed more breaking in or something. I just remember feeling awfully unimpressed by how it handled the logs. So I called it a day, packed up my stuff and went back home.

Once back home, when I was removing the bar to clean things, I noticed that one of the threaded studs, which holds the bar nut on, didn't seem to tighten back down quite right. Upon further inspection, I noticed it had a freaking heli-coil insert! And it was pulling out!?! What the hell?! Anyone who knows anything about machining knows that Heli-coils are a pretty ghetto way to repair damaged threads. My heart sank. So I contacted the eBay guy and explained all this to him. His reply was some BS like, "Oh, I guess I missed that, because someone else sold me those crankcase halves". Umm... okay? So are you blind also? Clearly anyone worth their salt would have seen this a mile away when putting the saw together. Sounded fishy, at best.

But he offered to take the saw back and fix it at no charge and also pay the return shipping. Okay, fair enough. So I had to box the entire saw back up (luckily it wasn't too big), send the saw clear back across the country, wait, then he it sent clear back. I was sort of surprised that he sent the saw back in record time. I mean, I know what's involved to tear down and rebuild these saws, so I was sort of alarmed at how quickly it showed back up. But whatever, he must do it all the time, so maybe he's faster than me.

So then one thing led to another and I never got back around to using that particular saw. I just put it up on the shelf and figured I'd get back to it at some point down the road. As I said, I wasn't all that impressed with its power, so that sort of took the wind out of my sails as far as using it. Also, at the time, I had 4 other saws, so usually I would just grab a slightly smaller saw for most jobs around my property. Anyway, so nearly a year passed and then another saw (similar, but slightly larger) came across my work bench. It was actually from an old friend, who now lives up in Oregon. He had run his saw into the ground and never bothered to cleaned it, so as a favor for an old friend, I told him to send it on down and I'd clean and upgrade it at no charge. While servicing that saw, it caused me to remember the little MS260/026 hybrid I had never gotten back around to. So I got all excited again and pulled that saw off the shelf again. I decided I'd modify things a little bit further (with custom parts). However, since it was still a little dirty here and there from its first use, I decided to clean it a bit more first. So I got out some gasoline and the air compressor and started cleaning.

Much to my shock and horror, the beautiful grey paint started to melt off it!!! WTF?!

Sure enough, the more I cleaned, the more paint came off. Once the paint was nearly off, I could see underneath it was just an old, worn out crankcase, which showed clear evidence of being used, burned and abused. This moron on eBay had used a rattle can to spray some old worn out and burned up crankcase - and his paint didn't even cure (because spray can paint jobs don't involve any hardening agent typically). So at this point, the paint coming off had exposed what he was actually doing on eBay; he was just taking old ratty parts, spray painting them, slapping them together as quickly as possible and basically selling them to unsuspecting people on eBay for top dollar. And yet, if you read the chainsaw forums, oh my gosh, stand back! Everyone was telling each other that this was hands-down the place to buy from: "this guy builds amazing saws!"

Yeah so, the paint came off. Big deal, right? I can almost hear you saying it now, "Ray, so what? So he spray painted it? Big deal. You're too picky!"

Well, this story gets a little more involved than just exterior paint... remember how I said on its first use, it seemed sort of under powered? Yeah, well, read on...

So when the spray can paint job melted off due to a little gas, I decided I would use this as an opportunity to take the saw totally apart and rebuild it. I had been wanting to use ceramic hybrid crankshaft bearings on a saw for a while, so I figured this was as good a candidate as any. So I pull the crankcase housings apart and removed the crankshaft and piston. It's a two-stroke motor, so they are pretty fun to work on. So during the process of blueprinting and rebuilding the motor, I measure the rod length and crankshaft stroke and computed the swept volume and all that, just for fun. Big surprise.. it wasn't correct. What the heck? This can't be right? Am I seeing things? So I start examining the parts more closely. Then I figure out what has happened here. Turns out, this fool put the wrong crankshaft into the saw - OMG lol WHAT?! No damn wonder it felt under powered. Turns out, with this particular Stihl saw - if you don't know what you are doing and/or you aren't paying close attention - there are multiple crankshafts which will fit into it, but some have different strokes. This guy used the completely wrong crankshaft in my saw and either didn't know it or wasn't paying any attention to what he was doing while building these saws. As you can imagine, this radically [negatively] affects performance on a 2 stroke motor. It serves to not only reduce the displacement of the motor, but also the compression ratio - both very bad things, especially when you desperately need to produce power at redline on a chainsaw. I can only imagine how many of his other customers have saws with incorrect internal parts and have absolutely no idea about it. Again he had absolutely stellar reviews all across the worldwide web.

So buyer beware.

[In the end, I contacted the guy and - to his credit - he did send me a replacement crankshaft at no charge. However, using spray paint on the saw is inexcusable in my opinion. And using the wrong crankshaft - when building a motor - (not to mention using or missing a shoddy Heli-coil repair), well, it just all speaks to the poor job this guy was doing with his saw. Nevertheless, as I have said, he had nothing but positive endorsements from many customers all over the chainsaw forums.]

Again, take what you read on forums with a grain of salt. It's largely just everyone's 2 cents at the end of the day and most people are either not perfectionists when it comes to things like refinishing buttons or just simply can't tell ultra high quality from a hack job with stickers and spray paint.

For those of us out there that strive for perfection, we are willing to pay for it or do it ourselves. Again, my recommendation on the Ferrari buttons would be to send some sample buttons or knobs away to whatever company you are considering using - be it Sticky No More or Sticky RX or whomever - and then simply perform your own tests to see the results once the parts come back. This would be a lot better than taking apart your entire car, then finding out that the job done on your interior parts is a lot more substandard than people on the forums make it out to be.

If it were my car, I'd do a few sample piece, toss them in a jar of gasoline or alcohol and come back in 48 hours to see which buttons and/or knobs could survive. Then I'd send all my remaining parts off to whichever company made the cut - higher cost or not. I mean we are dealing with Ferraris here, aren't we?

Anyway, you get the idea. Trust no one; test for yourself. Then you know for certain and can sleep at night.

Ray

BTW, here's the videos of me re-painting the chainsaw crankcases, just in case anyone is curious to see how I spent about 2 weeks of my life fixing someone else's blunders:

and also,

And done...

Need4Spd likes this.
  24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, I'd definitely be interested to see/hear what you think for sure. Are you removing the parts yourself? That's a job man.

BTW, what reviews are you talking about for Sticky No More? Here or some place else like Yelp or Google or something?

My girlfriend is demanding I make lunch, so I'll check more when I get back haha. Can't keep Abi waiting when it comes to ribeye steaks!

I'll also swing by SNM's website when I have a second.

Again, I'm just glad I've never had to refinish any of my Ferrari parts! I think removing the peeling 360 window buttons with WD40 was the most I ever had to do myself.

Ray

25. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Agree100%. Dave at StickyRx is a consummate professional and he demands perfection. They’ve done the interiors on 2 of my cars and I couldn’t be more pleased with the results.