1989 Ferrari 412i Chassis 82116 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1989 Ferrari 412i Chassis 82116

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossroshani

Rossroshani Rookie

Sep 2, 2019
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Ross roshani
    Yes i really would appreciate any pictures or information to give me some idea what's involved i talk to few people in la bout not so sure

2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    The required modifications may be too extensive to take meaningful pics of everything, that said if there’s something specific you’re after, LMK.

You should really get some guidance and advice from someone that’s done this on what’s required. In addition to cats and O2 sensors, my car seems to have a bunch of additional items about the engine compartment that I know are CA smog related, but I don’t have certainty of what they are/do. I can tell you that not all CA BAR smog conversions are created equal... some seem a bit on the shoddy side in terms of execution (at least visually). I don’t know exactly who did my car back in 1986, but they fortunately seem to have taken their time and done things tidily.

Ruben

Attached Files:

3. Rossroshani

Rossroshani Rookie

Sep 2, 2019
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Ross roshani
    Well it arrived yesterday front hood one of the latches doesn't close exhaust leak and the trunk doesn't open up well work on these for next few days
    One think i was going to ask call dmv regarding smog thay said because the car is older than 25 years you only have to smog it once when you register it is that true
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Congrats. That is a beautiful car. I love those rich brown seats.

5. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Ross...welcome to the group...

Definitely go see Ruben's car, take pics of anything hooked to his engine that he has that you don't. ( first fill your phone with pics of your engine bay as reference )
    And there must be a few other cars with a B.A.R. sticker on the west coast to use as reference also.

I am not an expert, but I do almost all the work on my car, including removing all of the previously installed emissions parts/pieces for it to clear 1985 49-state requirements, ( port of entry NJ, originally sold in Vermont ). Which are....2 cat converters, 2 O2 sensors, a fuel vapor canister, frequency valve with control box, A.I.R. pump, check valves...and assorted wires & hoses.
    I am also not familiar with what California requires in addition to what I have, but I don't need the parts anymore , sooooooo.....

I also have photos of everything in place before removal, and an understanding of what their function is.
    Let me know if I can help.

Gary

PS: I figure you did try the manual deck release in the LR trim panel ?

6. Rossroshani

Rossroshani Rookie

Sep 2, 2019
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Ross roshani
    No i try it tonight

7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Sadly not true... the CA DMV requires smog check at initial reg and then every 2 years to renew reg for all 1975 and newer vehicles.

I also did some digging into who did my car’s conversion back in 1986: Ferrari of Beverly Hills. It may be a long shot, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask them for some guidance. I still think your best bet is to connect with folks who do JDM car conversions to BAR compliance and go from there.

My car is currently at my storage, but I’ll get it out in a few weeks and can take some detailed pics of the engine bay and post here.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Ruben

8. Rossroshani

Rossroshani Rookie

Sep 2, 2019
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Ross roshani
    I am thinking register it in different state for know unit figure this thing out i just got this 2 days go i want drive it

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #34 samsaprunoff, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Good day Ross,

Congratulations on your car!

As for registering it elsewhere... There was a post/thread on here a number of years ago where a fellow bought a 400i that did not have a CA Bar sticker and he mentioned the trials and tribulations of trying to register it in CA. It sounded like a big mess and nightmare. Perhaps you can do a search on here for this thread and if found reach out to this member to see if he can share his experience and provide guidance on the process. I will do a search too and if I find the thread I will post up.

Cheers,

Sam

[edit] Here is one thread I found... but not the one was talked about above:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/smog-and-importation-into-california-of-a-400i.233297/

Found the threads... The user is stefano1

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/400-auto.378049/#post-141653160

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/farewell.394323/

10. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Keep us posted on how it goes Ross. Enjoy, it’s a beautiful and rare car!

Best of luck!

Ruben

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I remember emailing with Stefano when he was buying the car in Michigan, IIRC, having work done on it near Toronto and then shipping to San Francisco area. He spent a lot of money trying to get it certified and ultimately tossed in the towel and sold the car out of state .

I truly felt sorry for him because he was (is) a nice guy trying to do the right thing and got beaten down by the bureaucracy.[/QUOTE]

12. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #37 intrepidcva11, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Here's my #62361, auto, blu sera/beige, approx 90K km/56K miles. Sold in Suisse/Schweiz/Svizzeria to first owner the Contesse Gerlinde di Picciotto 9 years, then to a French owner for 9 years, then to Bernard Dalle, Vice-president of the Club Ferrari France, from who I acquired the car. The car has clearly been meticulously maintained by all three. And by me :) In the process my wife Judith and I became good friends with Bernard and epouse Catherine with whom we spent a lovely long weekend at their vacation home on Lago Maggiore on our way to Maranello to visit the factory. ahd they visited us in New York City where we had a special guided tour of the Intrepid Sea/Air/Space Museum - I served as her legal officer and OOD underway in the mid-1950s.

Presently at Ferrari New England, annual service, new exhaust and instructions to make the car flawless - well, as flawless as a lady a third of a century old can be !!

P.S. candidly I prefer the slightly raised line of the trunk - apart from whatever aero it adds, it increases slightly the contained volume of the trunk.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  13. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Slightly off-topic, my wife and I took the four hour hard-hat tour of the Intrepid a few weeks ago. As i'm sure you know better than I, but for the benefit of others on here, they've opened-up alot more of the ship that's generally not open to the public for special hard-hat tours that show quite a bit of how and where the crew lived, seconday bridge below the flight deck in the bow, two level generator room, etc... Super cool stuff! Well worth going!

Thanks for your service, Seth!

https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/hard-hat-tour

14. Rossroshani

Rossroshani Rookie

Sep 2, 2019
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Ross roshani
    New problem regarding 1989 ferrari 412i which i purchased a few months back last weekend as I was driving car suddenly stopped car cranks over but it does not start when I turn on the ignition I do not hear the fuel pump check the fuses looks okay check the relays related to the fuel pump they look okay but I don't know if they're not okay I don't know how to check them also the reason I think is electrical because the radio would not turn on well what do you guys think also i live in los angeles if any one know's mechanics

15. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    When the engine is hot the fuel pump are not activated until the engine is running (in the meantime it relies on pressure of the fuel accumulators). So you should test pumps while the engine is cold.

The relay box is notoriously fragile on the 412. That's were I would try to look first. Can you check that there is continuity on the multi layer board? It's strange though that both pumps have failed at the same time.

Cannot give more advice as I am more used to the Gremlins of my 400i Gen1 .

16. Rossroshani

Rossroshani Rookie

Sep 2, 2019
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Ross roshani
    Where is fuel pump i will try to bypass it to see if the pump fail or its the electrical

17. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hi Ross, the 412 fuel pumps are the submerged type, located inside the tanks.

18. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The hose of these submerged pumps deteriorates over time, worth a look also. Leaky hose = loss of of pressure = the car will either lack HP or refuse to start.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Based on the description of the symptom I wouldn't be looking inside the fuel tanks for anything other than fuel. I would do the basic first checks like looking for spark and listen for fuel pumps while its cranking.

20. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    After reading this entire thread, many of us are left wandering as to how or what you did to register the car? In CA, or?

When I purchased a speedster 15 years ago (prices were not outrageous then), it was registered in AZ while I lived in FL and could get away with substantially discounted insurance... The classic vehicle plates from AZ (red and gold) are far more appealing than the light blue ones in FL. I switched after a year to FL plates (non-classic) since I did not have an AZ address.

Cali is tough on everyone that has cars 1975 or newer...

21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day OttoB,

According to CA Bar cars from 1976 and newer need to be Smog Checked:

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Referee_Program/Collector_Cars.aspx

Cheers,

Sam

22. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  23. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    This photo of my 412 engine bay may help.

24. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Dick Fritz has been a Ferrari friend for many years. He started and ran Amerispec, the Ferrari gray market conversion business, for many years. Even fought Ferrari SpA in court for the right to 'federalize' Ferraris. And won. Specialized in 400's and 412's. From Dick I learned that the collars around the fuel pumps deteriorate and need checking and replacement from time to time.

I feel especially bad for Ross - front hood latch doesn't close, exhaust leak (new exhaust can be an $8-10K item). trunk doesn't open - there is a servo that closes the rear trunk lid that may be the culprit.

This experience is a paradigm of why 400/400i/412s have such a bad reputation in the U.S. So many are not properly and regularly maintained. One can buy apparently cheap and then drop $25K to $50K on making a car right - The cost of an engine and'or transaxle rebuild. I surely hope Ross' car isn't that bad.

Why my 412 - see above - should be very appealing in the U.S.

P.S. it is for sale on another thread