488 - Best ways to deter people from sitting or touching the car for selfies ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Best ways to deter people from sitting or touching the car for selfies ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Actualizer, Sep 2, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    Wait a sec..... i think i read both of these in this thread;

Takes ferrari to gun range.

Takes ferrari to Home Depot.

Easy answer is take your f250 crew cab to both of those places....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Not changing my life for a hood rat. If I'm out for a drive and a buddy wants to meet at the range, I'm not heading home to swap into my truck. I've been to home depot too. I also drove it in the rain today…oh the humanity!

Actualizer, SoCal to az and KC360 FL like this.
  3. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Actualizer likes this.
  4. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    who parks anyway?

AD211 likes this.
  5. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    Wrap the entire car in expel, it will reduce the freakout level when you see a kid go up to your car and run his toy truck over your hood, which actually happened to me some years ago. I knew the expel would prevent any damage so I was only mildly irritated and not outwardly angry in front of the adults that were present.

As far as someone sitting on the car, although inconsiderate it won't cause damage.

Viper830tt and Actualizer like this.
  6. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    To veer the subject only slightly off course . . . I rarely take my 458 to the range since I can only fit one rifle bag on the shelf behind the seats. Never if my wife is with me (she prefers her own rifles). There is a great thread about pictures of your 458/488 in regular parking spots. I'll post one next time I am at the range.

Fireman1291 likes this.
  7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You should see how I have to tow my boat with the 458! As Enzo intended.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    How would one go about that? Seriously, I thought about it, since I don't really care who knows I'm driving a Ferrari, except for me...T

9. It's just a car.

Relax.

Get over yourself. And your car.

Boomhauer, SoCal to az and IloveGT like this.
  10. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I learned in my first week of ownership that unfortunately the general public isn’t aware or care about etiquette around your car . I’ve parked my car in front of the coffee shop at an outdoor mall and seen people let their kids lean on the car, run their hands across the hood, beat on the hood like Congo drums, lean on it for pictures etc etc. With my car being Nero, it is the most susceptible to swirls and scratches. I’ve since wrapped the whole thing in clear bra and don’t worry about it now when I leave it parked in public places.

11. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Found the local Blackvue dealer. Spot on ! Thanks

Fireman1291 likes this.
  12. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Pal ! If you don’t have any helpful contributions to make to my original thread question than I suggest you move on !
    I can do without your cynicism and rude comment.
    A quick look at your Profile commentaries depicts that this is all you do on these forums .
    Peace !

sfcorse, Viperjoe and Dicecal like this.
  13. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    My god .... did you guys set out to make a thread to specifically capture every stereotype anyone has ever had about Ferrari owners? If so, congrats. You have succeeded.

And where the hell do you live where “ghetto rats” are playing bongo drums on the hood of your cars? And could you possibly have come up with a more offensive term than “ghetto rats”?

C’mon people ... we’re better than this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boomhauer and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  14. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    there's nothing you can do other than hire personal security

15. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Here is a pain scale when it comes to exposing a nice car to the vagaries of the public whim: (10 is worst)

Group of admirers gathered around the car when I come out of the store: 1

Group of admirers gathered around the car taking selfies with the car but not touching it: 1

Group of admirers gathered around the car, asking me how much it cost and what I do for a living: 5

While stopped at a signal in heavy urban traffic: kids pour out of car in front of me, and start taking selfies with the car as light turns green: 6

While parked, little tyke begins rolling matchbox car over countours of car while making car noises and parents look lovingly on: 6

Person attempts to sit on car: 7

Random person in a clapped out RX8 tries to unilaterally street race me on an onramp in my (then) two week old 458, loses control, and smashes into me, causing $90,000 in damage: 10

Its all relative, baby.

Viperjoe, Need4Spd, AD211 and 2 others like this.
  16. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    <<Random person in a clapped out RX8 tries to unilaterally street race me on an onramp in my (then) two week old 458, loses control, and smashes into me, causing $90,000 in damage: 10 >>

I recall hearing this story and how you kept your cool. I can't say I would have done the same.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  17. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I disagree. I worked hard for what I have. I expect the same respect for my daily driver as I give anyone else's car. Do I fling my door open and disregard any dings I may cause the Camry parked next to me? No.
    Common courtesy is out of style and I refuse to act like that's OK-- and not give a rats ass about anyone else's stuff.

18. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I was pondering this topic and offered the suggestion of debadging. Debadging a Ferrari is no simple task though and most people don't want to go that far. This is an extremely common practice in the AMG world, of which I used to be part (SL63).

Maybe some enterprising individual could make fake badges out of that slimy rubber type material that sticks to anything shiny but doesn't leave a residue. The fake badge could be Acura, Ford, Chevy, whatever, and a set made for each Ferrari model. The owner would affix these badges whenever they wanted their car to be less desirable for selfies and such. Nobody would run up and want a selfie with a weird looking Toyota.

Ash Patel likes this.
  19. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Shotgun mounted sentry turrets for the win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob5819 and ryalex like this.
  20. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    I used to park a Caterham 7 outside my studio in central London and on a number of occasions had to pop my head out of the window and shout “Get out of my fekkin’ car!” when I saw guys actually sitting in it to take selfies. Oh, and they’d usually stand on the seat as they were getting out!

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    It's just a post.

Relax.

Get over yourself. And his post.

Plus, it really is just a car. Just don't go to place you don't feel comfortable drivng in a ferrari. End of story. You ought to know about these first world hassles when you bought the car, right? So I say chill and just enjoy the car.

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Can't believe no one has posted this ..

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    If somebody already chooses to sit on top of anybody's car, an alarm/dog/camera I doubt will deter them.

italiafan likes this.
  24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    How'd you get an Ewok?

Actualizer likes this.
  25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I'm surprised someone at a gun range behaves that way, at the range I frequent everyone seems very cool and very cognizant that everyone there is also carrying CCW.....CCW tends to make sure everyone is cordial.

Viperjoe likes this.