488 - Best ways to deter people from sitting or touching the car for selfies ? | FerrariChat

488 Best ways to deter people from sitting or touching the car for selfies ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Actualizer, Sep 2, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

I live in downtown of a very touristy area. I’m having an ever growing numbers of passerby teenagers quickly sitting on my car bonnet for pics if car is unattended. Mostly adults and families with children are quite courteous and careful not to touch.
    Is there any add on mod to the FERRARI Alarm that can temporarily beep or make some noise to deter people to get off as soon as there is physical contact ?
    Also for short stints to the shops I’m worried about the sensors of the ferrari alarm if I’ve left the car in roof down . Would a hooligan be successful in dipping into my open car space and steal any shades or property left there ?
    Can any proximity sensors or something similar be installed within the Ferrari Alarm ?
    Also looking at a dashcam option but that wouldn’t help keep the sitters and feelers away .
    Please assist ?
    Thanks

2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've had this issue as well. Fat bottomed ghetto rats sitting on my thin aluminum hood, leaving greasy hand prints baked into the hot paint.

A dash cam with live view parking mode and alerts can at least get your attention so you can go out and whoop some ass. Blackvue is a good brand.

Viperjoe, Actualizer and AD211 like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    20 yrs ago alpine made one - on my 300zx turbo it wld chirp if there was motion within a few ft of it

4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Car alarms are completely ignored these days. People just find them annoying and would never 'get involved' anyways.

KC360 FL and Actualizer like this.
  5. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Switch to Lambo emblems.

/problem solved :)

IloveGT, Way2fast and Fireman1291 like this.
  6. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Only way is to not park on a street with high foot traffic. This always happens to me and one just has to deal with it. Usually find most are respectful.

davem, Actualizer and C50 like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    "Ghetto rats"? Really?

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Literally yes. From the ghetto, fishnet stockings, 3" fake fingernails, bright neon shirt, hooker ghetto trash. She came in with her ghetto boyfriend into the shooting range I was at, started posing with all the Glocks, taking selfies. Went out and the was sitting on my ******** hood taking selfies.

9. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Smiles and Boomhauer like this.
  10. Dr. K

Dr. K Rookie

Jul 28, 2019
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I mean if you can avoid it just do not park in high traffic areas. Also it takes roughly 30 seconds to put the roof up, so I would just do that every time I was leaving the car. If you have to park in high traffic areas, placing the camera in a noticeable area deters most people with common sense. Sadly there are a number of people out there that have 0 regard for peoples property and will do whatever they feel to your car even with alarms, cameras, etc. Good luck my friend.

Actualizer likes this.
  11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Keep a pitbull in the cockpit.

12. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I’ve had the same issue, despite driving a less flashy model (Portofino). I’m trying to order the new 812 spider and if successful would go for a more understated colour - grey or silver rather than red. That should help it attract less attention from (a) bonnet sitting hood rats (b) eco warriors who damage your car out of spite

A shame we have got to the state where that’s required

Fireman1291 likes this.
  13. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    One other thought... buy a large, bright sign that says ‘CCTV recording’ and place it on your dash... ??

14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Good luck.

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  16. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

You’re right ! Much less hassle , in fact never , with my Black on Black FF !

17. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

This is the only product on the market that I also found . The problem is that nobody knows whether I’ll have to reinstall my Ferrari factory alarm and install this sensor with a Viper system ? Plus , I’d love to know if someone tried this and what’s been the outcome ? The reviews on viper Intellisense website are not from any Ferrari owners and there are only a few ! Otherwise this looks like worth trying !

18. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Lamborghini emblems would increase the attention.....how about putting Ford Mustang emblems on it....no one is going to take a stupid picture with a Mustang.

Actualizer likes this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Would do no good, because they think they are entitled to act this way....they would think the sign is for "criminals".

Unless you are hiring a guard to stand watch while you go into the Home Depot, there is nothing that is going to prevent this.

21. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    One big thing you can do is debadge your car. Then 95% of the general populace won't have any idea what car you have. The other 5% who could recognize a Ferrari would have the sense to respect your property.

Actualizer and Way2fast like this.
  22. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Honestly I rather not know what people do.
    Over the weekend i parked Infront of Ferrari store in Manhattan, the city was a ghost town due to Labor Day weekend.

I went to a parking meter to pay for a parking slip, this guy with his son walks up to my car and kicks the wheel, I guess to show his son the painted caliper ( I have a design on it)
    I didn’t say anything as he was with his son and I was in a decent mood. Pressed the unlock button and he walked away.

Actualizer likes this.
  23. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    He just wants them to stop them touching his car, no need to run them over.

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You need clear bra vinyl on it then. It is one of the reliefs of a wrap.

Actualizer likes this.