IPE Innotech F1 Exhaust | FerrariChat

IPE Innotech F1 Exhaust

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Agostinho, Aug 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017
    I'm thinking about buying the IPE F1 Exhaust for my 458 Italia. I've heard of people who install part of it, then later add the rest, so I'm thinking of just installing the entire system (Headers + Heat Protector + Cat-bypass Pipe + Valvetronic Muffler + Tips).

Seems to be one of the loudest, but best sounding exhausts for the 458 Italia I've heard, and I do like the ability to open and close the valves to control the sound volume.

I'm in California and assume people who add this F1 Exhaust set-up, remove it later and replace with the factory exhaust if they want to sell the car, since it won't pass the smog test with the F1 Exhaust.

A couple questions:

1.Are most IPE F1 Exhaust owners happy with it?

2. Seems to be about $7,200 new on Ebay for parts. I'm not in a hurry, so should I wait to see if I can find a used F1 Exhaust system from someone selling their 458 Italia?

2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I've been lurking on this forum thinking about a 458 couple replacement for my 430 spider on which I installed a full IPE exhaust about a half year ago. I personally like the exhaust note much better than the stock 430 exhaust. I went with the 200 cell cats and felt with the valves closed the volume was on a par with the factory sound level..... initially. The exhaust gradually got louder to the point where it's a bit obtrusive with the valves open.

No CELs with the IPE exhaust on the 430 at least which Hollywood Wheels (FL) assured me would be the case. They apparently install IPEs on quite a few 458s around Miami, so they could be a resource.

I did manage a 4 hour post install trip with my wife and she didn't complain (valves closed, top & windows up). IPE US Rep tried to convince me to go with cat delete - so glad I didn't.

3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    IPE is made in TAIWAN if I remember correctly ?

4. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    That is correct.

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Wow that's a lot of cash for something from Taiwan. Welder would be earning no more than $50/ day

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Unreal they are about 4 blocks away from the company i have been dealing with for the past 16 years. Im going to drop in next time im over

F2003-GA likes this.
  7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Ecstatic!
    I have full IPE system (with valve controller) on my Speciale - headers, test pipes, exhaust.
    Best sounding F1 sound IMO.
    I used to think my S line exhaust on my 16M was best.
    Speciale IPE is better...echoes F1 in Monaco tunnels.
    Close eyes, volume up:

Sent from my 16M

GT2goneF, dustman, Frenzisko and 4 others like this.
  8. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

Sounds great! Can you also post any video with valves closed, so I can hear how quiet it will be with valves closed?

9. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    GET IT! I have IPE F1 with straight pipes on mine as well. plastique999 and I are in SoCal, meet up with us if you want to hear what the car sounds like. Sound is pretty awesome(radio is NEVER on), exhaust is a must have for the 458 especially if your into sound. I plan to do headers on mine soon...I just didn't want to do it so soon after I bought the car. Also I can enjoy the sound without it first then install it if I get an itch for a new sound. the best part is ...it hasn't triggered CEL after 2k miles. I would recommend it. $7200 sounds stupid cheap for a complete set. I believe the retail on it is 11k with headers.

10. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

Do you think adding headers will make much difference in sound or performance if you already have the IPE F1 exhaust with no cats? I've been told there's really no sound difference in adding just the headers.

11. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Headers will make it louder for sure! My friend added headers to his 458 after he did the exhaust and I was told by adding headers you'll feel the added HP, that it was pretty significant. The exhaust I didn't feel anything but the headers you will feel the difference, and then do a tune you'll feel that too. The tune and headers add the most HP to the car and you'll feel it. I have a friend with a full exhaust setup with tune and is beating stock 488's.

On my car yes IPE f1 exhaust with NO cats. Also if you decat the car test pipes it will trigger CEL but its hit or miss for IPE. Seems 50/50..you get lucky and it doesn't trigger mine didn't.

12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’d love to see the numbers of a 458 with headers, straight pipes and performance exhaust on a dyno, so horsepower and torque gains could be quantified.

My fully stock 2011 Italia scored 565.5 bhp on the dyno earlier this year.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Agostinho likes this.
  13. veilstylez

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    WOW that price is stupid cheap. But they are in Taiwan though and feedback seems weak.

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Cheap ? This is Taiwan. That's about 6 months wage over there.

15. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Hi, first post here ...

I just purchased a 15 458 Spider and I just started researching exhaust systems for it.

IPE, along with Novitec and FI, were the exhausts I was considering.

In other brands I have owned aftermarket headers automatically mean a tune is needed, is this the case with the 458 as well?

16. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

I think IPE or Novitec are good choices. I'm leaning IPE, but it depends on the sound you like, and what exhaust pieces you plan on replacing.

The answer is, it depends, but you very likely will need a tune with headers. Good luck with the research. Researching exhaust is exhausting ;)

Ash Patel and soulsea like this.
  17. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    It's indeed a lot to research as it's my first ferrari ever after a bunch of 911 GT cars, so I'm starting from scratch.

What I would like is the most aggressive sound in the least intrusive way. I suffer from vehicular ADD so I rarely keep cars for more than a year, so I would like the most aggressive sound from an exhaust that easily bolts on/off, doesn't trigger a CEL, and doesn't need a tune. On some brands that means a cat back exhaust, on others a header back exhaust with high flow cats.

I really appreciate any feedback as what my options are.

Thanks a bunch.

18. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

If you plan on undoing whatever exhaust you add before you sell and restoring to stock, then besides money, it won't matter. If you have someone who can smog the car without cats, I think the most aggressive sound is probably a valved IPE full exhaust (headers, exhaust, cat delete and valves). It can be as F-1 sounding agressive and loud as you can get when you want, but you can also close the valves for something more subtle when you want it quiet(er). I'm sure others will have different opinions, and I'd love to hear those too.

soulsea likes this.
  19. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    If your looking for something aggressive without touching the cats so that you 100% can avoid the CEL.
    Give our 458 Valved Cat-Back Exhaust a try. Loud as you want without the hassle.

20. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    I live in SC, they never heard of smog ... you're basically a communist if you're not coal rolling. :)

So if I do the full F1 IPE exhaust (they also have something called evolution but I don't know the difference), will I need a tune to avoid a CEL?

21. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    If it comes with a DECAT then yes you will need a tune.

soulsea likes this.
  22. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    #23 obbob, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    ipe is the most popular aftermarket exhaust company for the 458. Their pitch is the highest and their volume only trumped by Tubi and Sline. Price point they are in the middle.

If you want a slightly lower pitch but a more varied tone, Novitec and Kline are alternatives.

For max pitch and volume, go with SLine.

Also vast majority of people get a stainless steel exhaust. Very few get the exotic materials such as titanium or inconel. Akrapovic is generally the leader for titanium. Novitec and Kline emphasize inconel.

If you care, IPE, FI, Armytrix are Taiwanese companies. sline and Fabspeed are American. Capristo and Novitec are German. Akrapovic is Slovenian. Kline is Romanian. Tubi is Italian.

Regarding headers, it’s the least cost effective part of the exhaust. Usually it will be half of the entire exhaust systems price tag. Headers will impact performance, pitch, and volume slightly. Most people do not get headers, but if you want the best, then I say get them.

Hope this helps.

23. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

Everything you've said seems spot-on. The biggest problem with S-line for me is the lack of valve control. Sometimes I don't want the exhaust to be loud on longer drives or with a passenger in the car, and S-line is really loud. Remote valve control isn't cheap, but it's a great feature.

24. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have a 2015 458 and have had the IPE setup on my car now for 10K miles! No issues whatsoever! I did loads of research before I pulled the trigger and agree with the concensus - by far the best F1 sounding exhaust for the 458. Period.

I have the CATLESS IPE F1 complete setup with headers, etc. After a tune the sound is even better with some nice pops and bangs on throttle release. Such an awesome sound!

The valve control is great especially when the wife is in the car! LOL! Best of luck with your decision! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rexcat458 and plastique999 like this.