What’s the Sweet spot for # of Ferrari’s or Exotics?? | FerrariChat

What’s the Sweet spot for # of Ferrari’s or Exotics??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by plastique999, Aug 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’m sure it’s different for everyone. But it’s interesting to see people wean down their collection after owning several exotics.
    I have a friend who traded 4-5 Ferrari’s for a Holy Grail and kept a driver’s F car.

I have 10 cars and I’m finding that certain cars don’t get driven for a month, which then becomes a chore of making sure the battery is ok, starting the car to let the oil run, etc.
    If I weren’t limited by garage space, I may buy even more cars, which I don’t really need.
    For seasoned collectors, what is a good number of cars in your collection?

Sent from my 16M

sherrillt and Sky Hye like this.
  2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I wonder how much of it is space limitation? I suppose at the higher end you can always rent extra garage space, but there is a drawback to the accessibility.

I could see some guys want to focus in as they age. One collectible and one modern driver seems like a good balance. I'd be content with a 288GTO and a modern car. :D I've talked to gents who concede they want one of the newest V12 rather than 5-6 older cars, because they feel they can only really give one car attention. I have three cars I try and split time between right now and that does feel like work some times, like making sure to walk a dog!

I guess one place it gets emotionally complicated is where you have multiple brands - you have cars from so many marques that it would probably sting to part with some of them. I'd still love to have a 993TT, Vantage V12, Diablo 6.0, etc. in a collection.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The sweet spot for the 90%-ile owner is <exactly> 1. 0 is too few, 2 is more than the wife will allow.

4. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    I have a small 2.5 car garage with three cars. One spot is wife’s the other two are mine. I’ve had 3 sports cars and a truck all at the same and thought it got to be work. I’ve downsized to just two fun cars. A fairly modern (2011) that gets used as an alternate DD and 2004. Life gets in the way and sometimes the 04 sits for a month without being driven. So I feel for the average guy who wants some variety, an older “classic” and a more modern car that can be used as a DD is manageable. Unless you’re like the fellow I meet at Ferrari Mondiali at Daytona, who has a lot of Ferrari’s (288, F40, F50, Enzo, LaF, 275 GTB 4cam Alloy bodied 100 point car)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    I’d say two good cars is enough

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

tomc likes this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm looking at getting a 2nd exotic now....I originally wanted a classic collector car which I bought first ( 1999 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster, one year only design, only 142 produced worldwide) and then buy a 3-5 year old modern car.......but the depreciation aspect is really bothering me so my top 2 choices are currently a 2005-06 Ford GT and a Scuderia. Then I'm out of the car business until I retire in 10 years.

jehu999 likes this.
  7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    All I need is one more.
    Then I can stop.
    Honest.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hard question. All depends on the owner.

Your question is akin (What is the sweet spot for the # girlfriends/boyfriends?)

Some will say 1, some will say infinity.

;)

Personally, with 2.5*, I find my hands more then full, and have no interest in any more.

*That's Ferrari btw

9. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    We’re in a similar position. I’ve got 11 cars in total including a few Ferraris and other sports cars, a couple classics, and a few daily drivers split between two houses and a condo. In a way it seems absurd, but the reality is each car is different and it’s purpose is different. G550 hauls wife and kids. Raptor hauls me and stuff. 720 is a scalpel/rocket. 488 is a beautiful and incredible sounding fun car. ‘57 Bel Air convertible is good for cruises and ice cream. Rolls-Royce Dawn is a daily convertible and night out car. 458 Challenge car is a track monster. Etc. etc. etc.

I don’t think there’s a good number as much as a good grouping that accomplishes a variety of purposes. I’ve thought about selling off a few things to narrow focus but I’ve got space and my kids enjoy the mix so we’ll keep battery tenders, covers, airing tires, running cars monthly so they don’t rot and most importantly of all, “collecting” experiences.

donv, boxerman, BOKE and 3 others like this.
  10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have customers with 30+ cars. Its crazy. They lose track of service requirements and some times drop off the same car twice in the same year. Its up to me to tell them, uh..you brought the wrong Ferrari, we just did that one last month..

Another doesn't even know what he has anymore..or for that matter where he parked them. Some are parked in storage units, other in friends garages, others at his place down south..even he gets frustrated, pulls up to switch cars, cant remember where he parked what, and leaves in the same car he arrived in.

Others just use car collections as a laundry mat.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    3 exotics.

Two for me. One for my wife (but in reality is for me as well)

12. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    4x4 - Daily
    Sedan - Wife’s Daily

1- Wife’s fun car
    2-3 other exotics

All fun and all different. That’s really my limit just based on time with work, life, etc.

Robb

13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    interesting question.....and the answer depends on the individual and their situation.

i love cars. my whole family loves cars. and we live in different places, and have a few places we visit periodically.

if we just count the cars that my dad and i have together, then i think its 22. and as others have said, it is horses for courses. each car usually has its own purpose or circumstance when it is the right tool for the job.

when it comes to the vintage stuff, then it depends on what events we want to participate in - vintage rallies, shows, meets etc. so you need cars of certain marques and ages to qualify. but you cant drive the vintage stuff on road trips so easily, so slightly more modern cars are better.
    then the more utilitarian stuff hauls people and stuff around, formally or informally.

i still have many cars that i am interested in acquiring at some point. and i dont like to part with many of the cars we own presently because of sentimental reasons.
    the limiting factors are always money and space.

anyway, i dont know what the right number is, or if there is a number at all.

BOKE and plastique999 like this.
  14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have 5 sports cars/exotics.
    I often think of double- or triple-trading for a “halo” car and a daily exotic..but each of my cars is so different and great to have I can’t even pick which would be the first on the chopping block let alone second or third.
    Sounds stupid but when meeting up with friends I sometimes have to spend 10 min thinking which car to take that day...based upon weather, ambient temp, my mood, what hasn’t been driven in awhile, type of roads, destination, parking...

nicholasn, BarryK, ross and 1 other person like this.
  15. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Just having 1 can be a magical feeling.

ewright likes this.
  16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I had 6 and it seemed like work......
    Paired it down to 4 and things seem about right.

plastique999 likes this.
  17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    How many girlfriends do I want to have at the same time? Well, it really depends on the personalities of the girl, right?

I may just want to date a girl who is crazy in bed but also crazy in life, for only one or two times.

Having said that, the next logical question to ask is - if we can have only one car, what would that be? Same as asking how you pick a wife and will never cheat on her.

I found mine 22 years ago, but for cars, they must be different enough to get into my garage.

plastique999 likes this.
  18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    We have 9 cars (4 Ferraris), 2 other "special cars" plus 3 DD's and another "special" car under restoration. I'll only take an exotic/special car out when 1; the weather is good, 2; I'm in the mood and 3; have the time. Frequently only 2 of the 3 line up so the cars sit. Its fair to say that it's become a chore looking after all the cars, sometimes you get the feeling the cars are drving you, instead of you driving them.
    I would say 2 or max 3 "interesting/exotic " cars is probably the right number. But I'm hoping once my sons get their driving licenses they become interested in cars and so there will be some more drivers in the family.. ( wife's not in to cars or car events )

plastique999 likes this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have a 10 car garage that is attached to my house (wife has a seperate garage )then I have a climate controlled private garage at my office so i keep around 10 at my house and a 4 or 5 or 6 at my office.. I keep wanting to down size but I really like walking into my garage early in the morning and getting in whatever car i am driving to work that week having nice garage full then pulling into my office garage then going into work sort of makes my day then the reverse every evening.. I have a TV and a couple of comfortable chairs in my home garage so i kind of like that .. at one time I had maybe 25 cars and that became a real PIA to me..

20. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    To me, these exotics are like art. So ask yourself how many paintings are enough in a household?
    I tried to minimize a list of just Ferraris (if I had all the $$$ in the world) I had a hard time limiting it to my 50 favorites.
    So for me, it's never enough.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    EastMemphis and energy88 like this.
  22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    For me it's garage space. 2 car garage not high enough for a 4 post lift. 1 DD Audi for the wife, A 997, 360 and the 3-pedal cayenne.. means one car is always blocking the garage behind the 360. Now its the 997 because the Cayenne can be the beater that gets driven to work. I'd do more if I had more garage space. :)

23. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    4 cars, 2 fun ones. Raptor and Lusso DD, RS once in a blue moon. RR DD for the wife. If I had more room I would have more cars....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. turboixxi

turboixxi Rookie

Oct 5, 2016
    CA
    My cars aren't exotics but some how I ended up with 7 cars + 2 motorcycles and it is more than I want to deal with. Trying to rotate the cars between the garage and a warehouse was what made me realize I did not want more cars. I suppose if space wasn't the issue, it would be the maintenance and upkeep. Every time I drive an older car, I find something I need to fix or replace. also, as I never planned to own 7 cars, the registration just comes one after another!

plastique999 likes this.
  25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow a 10 car garage would be heavenly!.... and dangerous for me...

Sent from my 16M

LARRYH likes this.