328 Toolkit advice | FerrariChat

328 Toolkit advice

Discussion in '308/328' started by Bodazzie, Aug 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bodazzie

Bodazzie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2014
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Full Name:
    William
    I am going to sell a spare toolkit and would like some advice if this is a correct toolkit for an early model 328. Thank you in advance.

Wrenches – “Ferrari” on one side and “Chrom Vanadium Kravn” on other.

Screwdrivers – No Ferrari script

Pliers – Black Ferrari script but have another with white script

Spark Plug Socket – size for 328 spark plug

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Looks just like mine.

3. Bodazzie

Bodazzie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2014
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Full Name:
    William
    Thank you

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It is a "plain vanilla" standard early 328 tool roll indeed, except that, to me, pliers with the white "Ferrari" script would be more typical (the ones with black script are not incorrect, but less typical).
    The only difference with a tool roll for a later variant is that amost all 328 toll rolls (except those for the early cars) had screwdrivers with the white Ferrari script.

Rgds

5. Bodazzie

Bodazzie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2014
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Full Name:
    William
    Thank you for the information

6. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    Nerofer is the king of 328s. We should put some money together and buy this toolkit to him as a present :)

7. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    Saabguy likes this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Complete and correct set of tools and accessories for a US 89 328 GTB.

As for the tools specifically, I believe the only variation in the early cars is there is no Ferrari inscription on the translucent screwdriver ha does. I’ve never known the pliers to have black inscription, but that could be.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey and furmano like this.
  9. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    Isn't there supposed to be a window crank as well?

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Not with my car. I can’t say for certain with other years or other markets, but I’m pretty certain there were no window cranks for 328’s.

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No, nor for 328s. Stopped with rhe 308QVs; some of these didn't even have the emergency crank. It's even easier with 328s: no need for an emergency crank, because there is no plug in the doors to put the crank into...
    Only a very small number of the very early produced 328s did have the plug for the emergency crank in the doors, but no emergency crank in the tool roll nevertheless. Not for 328s.

Rgds

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    There is also a variation in the finish of the wrenches.
    Most are marked "Chrom Vanadium Kravm" on one side of the hanlde and "Ferrari" on the other, and of a rather shiny finish. But a few tool rolls were delivered with wrenches of a dull chrom finish, somewhat "flaked" if you like.
    A very, very small number of tool rolls have wrenches are not marked "Ferrari" on one side, but "Chrom Vanadium Kravm" on both sides; these would not be as nice as those with the "Ferrari" markings, but they are OEM nevertheless.
    Pliers with black inscription were common only slightly later ("Mondial T" / 348s); although these could not be excluded, pliers with white "Ferrari/Kravm" inscription are more typical.

Each of us might have his own perspective on tool rolls: for each version of the 308s and 328s, there is one "typical" tool roll that corresponds to that car, that will not be questioned.
    But, especially with 308s, some different version here and there might have indeed been used by the factory when the "standard tool roll" was not available that day, so one has to be cautious before saying that something is not OEM.
    However, some tool rolls for sale do indeed include tools that are definitely "not period correct" (such as black handled screwdrivers, etc...) and should not be sold as OEM. And some others are truly "hotch-potch". Buyers beware, do your "due diligence" and homework first.
    It is easier for 328s which basically all had the same standard tool roll (with the variations discussed above: early tool rolls sometimes had screwdrivers without the white "Ferrari" script; wrenches either in shiny finish or flaked dull chrome).

Rgds

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That would be nice, although I still have two originals for each of my cars, and two others originals as "extras" that I bought when they were selling for "about 200€" only.
    Nowadays:
    - pliers are easy to find.
    - wrenches are still relatively easy to find, although one must always take care about the finish and the shape of the ends of the recesses where the brand is marked, to have a matched serie.
    - spark plug tool is now very difficult to find, especially taking into account that most sellers do not take the difference between the ones for 14mm plugs (= 308s) and the one for 12mm plugs (= 328s) into consideration.
    - screwdrivers, especially the flat-blade ones, are almost impossible to find; for a nice flat-blade one, you could wait for years. And you still must take care that the "Ferrari" script is matched with your others scewdrivers, and in the same direction (= "ascending" on the handle, or "descending")

The tool roll itself is available new on order at "Maieli" in Italy ("Interni Auto Maieli"), the original provider, made with the original material and original rivets.

Rgds

14. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Oh, this is interesting. I have one of the early 328s that has the crank plug in the door, but there's no crank in the toolkit. I always assumed it had gotten lost at some point and was going to order one from Ricambi.

15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    What about the two actual spark plugs and replacement belts. Are they readily available?

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, these are items that go in the jack bag, not in the tool roll, Mark...
    (except for the spare spark plugs of US cars: these have sealed beams, so no replacement H4 bulb in the bulb box, but a spark plug in its place).
    I found a box of 10 of the correct Champion spark plugs (for euro cars) a few years ago, except that each spark plug is in a small carboard box that should have a small celluloid window and does not (or the reverse...). I think the spark plugs can still be found rather easily.
    As for the replacement belts, frankly I don't know; I have the original ones, with the labels (rather faded...) but it might depends on the market of destination (Euro vs US vs Australia vs Japan...etc...).

Rgds

Rosey likes this.
  17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I have an Australian delivered car that came with everything except those two items.
    I have never seen an Australian car with them in the bag to be honest.
    Unless there is something official from the factory it came with it I'm not too fussed.
    Australia is such a relatively small market it is sometimes hard to get a consensus on things like that.

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Oh, I entirely agree, Mark! My guess, but that is only a GUESS, is that you might well have received different plugs as we did in Europe (Catalysed car, different compression ratio, etc...). Perhaps your owner manual will tell you.
    As for the replacements belts, if you want a pic of what I have, no problem at all; they are original to the car, but the labels are slightly faded and crumpled by thirty years in the jack bag.
    Did your Australian market cars get the battery lifting strap and emergency triangle in the jack bag?

Rgds

Rosey likes this.
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Thanks buddy.
    Yes the Australian cars got the fuse container, battery strap, emergency triangle, jack and accessories and the torch.

20. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england

There must be a limit to the prices of these items. Sooner or later someone will step in to remanufacture the higher value items. Then prices will drop.

Personally I'm only missing the emergency triangle and the plastic bag for the light. I'm quite happy if people step in and remanufacture anything as long as they are as badly made as the originals. :)

P.S. thanks for documenting the correct toolkit!

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Depending of what car we are speaking...if yours is a 328, then as for the emergency triangle, you are lucky: the original triangle, "costaplastik", is rather easy to find on eBay and rather cheap: if you deal with an italian seller active in this matter, you should find it for about 90 U$...

Rgds

cheesypeas and Saabguy like this.
  22. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    Yes I've been looking on Italian ebay to see what's available. The triangles are cheap, ebay shipping is the killer. :(

I do have some question...
    1) did the UK cars come with triangles? - I saw one message on ferrarichat which slightly questioned this.
    2) I've seen slightly different styles of costaplastik triangles and didn't know which one was the correct one.
    3) how on earth do you use the stand? Do you bend it down when you first use it?

If any owners have a triangle please post pictures and the model number. Thanks!

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And here you are: the original set of auxiliaries' belts from my april '89 GTB, #81085, delivered new in Paris by Charles Pozzi in May 1989.
    Sparing no sacrifice, I deceded to illustrate this essential topic profusely...
    Belts are Continental FOZ800, Gates 8903-0630 and 8904-0875 (I suppose the Gates first number, for instance "8904", is the date of manufacture of the belt: april 1989)
    There were two small Gates labels "floating" in the bag, I suppose one came whith each Gates belt.
    Rgds

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  24. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    Bruno,

Here is a picture of the belts for my car. The small tags also have the beginning number of “89”, although my car is a 1988 model manufactured in October of 1987.

Regards

Attached Files:

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I am more used to handling the Gates Polybelts by the other number, as my alternator belt goes by the 7M975.

Its the belt width by the overall length.
    Nerofer is of course posting for the later three belt pulley system.

Mine only has two, and the a/c is not installed.