348 - New YouTube Nonsense 348 25k major | Page 6 | FerrariChat

348 New YouTube Nonsense 348 25k major

Discussion in '348/355' started by dahveedem, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    But you cannot guarantee that to be the case with any other car. Also you cannot guarantee that the crank stays at TDC to +/-1 degree when you go to change the belt. There is no marking, or indexing to get there without a degree wheel. Lastly, even if the cam marks appear to be "right-on" you cannot guarantee that they are within +/-1 degree of specs. I have plenty of times when they look right on, but they need 3 degrees of adjustment, and then afterwards they still look right on. I also have plenty of times when I got the crankshaft to be TDC, camshafts lined up with the marks, go to put the belt on and start turning the crank over by hand … and the crank would move 3-4 degrees before the tension in the belt is tight enough to start moving the cam shafts. By then, I'm 3 degrees late on all cam shafts.

paulchua and Qavion like this.
  2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well then you just suck.

Hahahahahaa :D :p

FSM348 likes this.
  3. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Gonna start a new trending hash tag #hackitlikeERNIE...lolol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ernie likes this.
  4. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I will add that Ernie came over to my place when I was degreeing my cams and we both found that the cam markings were nearly spot the &*%$ on. Maybe I should pop the spark plugs off to examine for markings on the pistons since Ernie helped! lol j/k bro!

Seriously, I will just align the cam shafts to the markings from now on when replacing the timing belt and save myself a few hours of unnecessary work. Nah, I will probably cave in just to find I did all that extra work for nothing... again.

ernie likes this.
  5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There is no guarantee after degreeing that it won't roll a few degrees either
    No guarantees either way she you fiddle? Go with the marks. ;)

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    How clueless am I? Whereas F1 drivers adjust their tire pressures by 1/2 psi increments, I can go out on a fun drive only to find out later I had a tire 5 or 6 psi low. Could I feel a difference? No. Do I now check pressures before driving? Yes.
    Since I can't feel a semi-low tire by the seat of my pants, I know I surely won't feel a difference in 1 or 2 degrees of timing, so I'm not planning on sweating for hours with a degree wheel.
    As far as the focus of this thread: the Marx Brothers screw up a 348 and trash it in video titles for no other reason than to make a buck (seems more obvious now why producer can't hold down a real job), I figured out how to block any further videos from that source appearing on my phone.

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

dahveedem and ernie like this.
  7. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    LOL!

8. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Ferrarichat technical difficulties? Somehow Ernie's avatar pic appears beside my note above. Clones Of Ernie taking over?

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Now you know why it is a $25,000 major.

ernie likes this.
  10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am ahead of all you guys - I haven't watched a single second of any of these videos due to the false title of a major costing $25,000. If I wanted to watch lies and mistruths, I'd simply watch WWE wrestling :D

steved033, 2cam and ernie like this.
  11. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    As Crocodile Dundee said "that's not a major, this is a major!"

Uploaded (redacted my personal info) here is my major that was completed on July 31, 2019 by Ferrari of Atlanta.

Out of respect for Ferrari - the part numbers are shown and the processes - but I have deleted the individual component costs and labor rates.

It was about $11k for my major, and just over $15k for the total bill.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow dear prices I guess... I paid 8k for full major hill bearings and all with valve check plus oil pump bearing plus timing cover bearing plus chain temsioner plus oli pump tensoner 360 update last October before delivery. That would have been 20k at
    FoA

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  13. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm a little shy of that at like 7500. Including new water pump.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    And that is why I do my own major service.

cardude442, Pangea and steved033 like this.
  15. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I checked my sums...I was at about $2800 for all the parts I bought to DIY it. And that included the sealants and everything for the TSB10-34.

Then 55 hours worked, and the car was down for 6 weeks. What's your time worth? :)

sjd

jgriff and ernie like this.
  16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Sounds about similar to mine, and I did EVERYTHING you could do short of completely rebuilding the engine.

steved033 likes this.
  17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    300 bucks to repaint the valve covers!
    250 bucks to spot weld a exhaust weld!

That's why I do my own service.

Pangea and ernie like this.
  18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What's it worth to get the labor of love done perfectly??? Yeah that's why I still cam time our perfect on the marks 348's. We are so on the mark cam timing is like a cam check and takes very little time.

cardude442 and steved033 like this.
  19. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    I do all my own work not only to save a buck but frankly i just dont trust most of the so called mechanics out there. When I do it I know what I have, plus if I run into anything else ill address it. Alot of these so called mechanics may see other things and not mention it while they are there, and its easy to change a 5 dollar part vs saying screw it thats not what im here for. Or then you have the other extreme where they lie and say you need alot of service thats not needed.

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Most Ferrari owners are accomplished welders. /s ;)

cardude442 likes this.
  21. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The stuff i've found...where hacks have hacked... there aren't enough facepalm emojis. different screws, different nuts, one of the cam carrier washers in the oil pan (oddly, none were missing...). I don't even want to talk about the stereo install...and it's craaaaaap (and I never turn it on).

sjd

22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    You can't put a price on doing a great job yourself/perfectly.

...and I agree, the marks aligned, but now they're REALLY aligned, AND I've got a new skill.

sjd

cardude442 likes this.
  23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Strange problem with your speedometer, Mark. "No power"? If no speedo/sensor power, all your other instruments wouldn't be working, most of your dash warning lights wouldn't work and your airconditioning wouldn't work.

24. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah, I am going to pull it apart shortly and sort it. Everything works EXCEPT the speedo.

I did find that there is a short that needs to be hunted down in the wiper/mirror/brake lights (why would Ferrari put these 3 together on a fuse?). I do know that there was work done in the driver’s door. I’m planning on re-checking that work. I do have a small gadget from years ago that is used to trace shorts. I’m hoping it will save me some time (it’s a pack with leads that self-resets and a needle mounted in a case that you run along the wires).

Plan on sorting the speedo soon. FoA suggested it may be the speedo itself.

Qavion likes this.
  25. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I bought the car without much of a service history and really wanted to let FoA run thru it so I’d feel better about it.

Short driving season in New Hampshire and I had a lot of work travel to run thru. The premium is a one time deal for me. : )

I have a welder in my garage, but the exhaust that was welded has a lifetime warranty. The money was more about “I want my newly purchased Ferrari ‘now’ thing. It was a going to be another 3 weeks if I took it off and sent it to Fab Speed. (It does sound nice)

I’m learning a lot about the F-cars and appreciate the great feedback and pointers! I hope to do the same.