Crossfit Master's | FerrariChat

Crossfit Master's

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rdefabri, Aug 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Aside from my foot pain (see other thread), I've been intrigued by the possibility of competing in Crossfit games. They have a master's level for us older folks (I'm 50 years old).

I'm an avid weight trainer and pretty athletic. I know double-unders are one of the skills you need to master, I used to be fantastic with those.

Anyone compete in Crossfit? Is it worth pursuing or a waste of time?

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Cross fit is an oddity to me, it's like a haphazard mavric of strongman and bodybuilding, highly prone to injury and sprinkled with goofy movements.
    My wife does CrossFit, but also weight training with me for 2-3 time a week, it's the weight training that keeps her at the top of her group. It's also the dirty secret CrossFit doesn't talk about.
    I'm old school and prefer weight training and if one must bodybuilding is ok too, CrossFit... No thanks.
    I'll will admit that as I knock on 50 I'll probably switch to more of a bodybuilding routine as strength training is grueling on the older body, I'm sadly not 20 anymore.. Been watching my PR's slowly drop over the yrs.
    My wife was asked to compete this yr, she declined though.

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    All I can say about CF is "mobility bands"

Those dorky things work.

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Resistance training is great, I use them with barbells as well. Esp great with deadlifts and squats. Chains are ok but the bands really up the torture level.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    No the bands to fix broken parts. Mobility bands work on FUed joint pain

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yah lost me... You talking about the little bands the size of a belt? Or wraps for the joints?
    That's another thing I don't use, joint wraps for massive lifting, if your joint needs that much pressure to support the load then it's not good for you. I'm not talking about wraps for those with issues trying to lift nominal weight, but the guys going for 600+ lb lifts, seriously, nose bleeds and nerve damage are not worth it. Like the lifting gear of the 80's & 90's...

7. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I’ve been doing CrossFit for over 5 years and my two friends compete in the masters division every year. One got 13th overall and the other 8th I believe 2 years ago but last year they both had injuries that put them in the 100 range or so. I myself don’t compete as I’m just not that strong despite doing it for years.

rdefabri likes this.