First Negative encounter/person messing with my 430. | FerrariChat

First Negative encounter/person messing with my 430.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zack Hawker, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    Had my 430 for 8 months now and no issues until the other day. Needed a can of spray paint and was out for a drive. I thought, should I stop at Home Depot or run home real quick and change cars. I said to myself thats ridiculous, and a waste of time. So I went, parked in a normal spot and no one next to me for 3 spots. Ran in super quick and back out in 5 min tops. Walking to my car and an employee says, is that your Ferrari? The guy who parked next to you was doing something to your car. I went over and he parked so close i could barely squeeze by. He put some adhesive paper all over the side of my window and car. I pulled it off and glue residue was all over. I went back to the employee and told him to point him out as I was going to wait for him. I was furious and eager to confront him. The employee said he had a firearm on his hip. Arizona is open carry. Just that info tells me the kind of person he is. You are allowed to conceal carry and there is no need for open carry unless you crave the attention and need to feel "cool or powerful" or whatever reason he had. I decided to calm down and think of the best case scenario by confronting him. There was not one. I would either of assaulted him or been shot. Thought about calling the police buy to what end... Decided to go about my day and not spend anymore time and emotion on it. Lesson learned and Ill unfortunally be more cautious next time. Also, I live in Scottsdale and its not like exotic cars are rare. I worked/work very hard to have this dream become a reality and is disappointing to know there are people like this out there. Cheers all and take care...

2. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Dude that totally sucks !! ... but I think you made the right decision, there are more important things to do in a day, then get shot. Go home , clean the car and it’ll look better than it did before you drove it. Just smile knowing you have a Ferrari in the garage... oh and F$&k that dude!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Buzios

Buzios Karting

Aug 5, 2018
    This does suck. I’m honestly not sure what I would’ve done. Confronting the guy would probably be the wrong call, but I think calling the cops might not have been a bad idea. Then again, you never know when you might run into this idiot again...

4. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Made the right call I reckon. Just have to put it out of your mind and move forward :)

5. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Well played, sir
    Unfortunate event but thankfully it left nothing more than a bad taste in your mouth and some adhesive on the window
    People gonna people but don’t let them dissuade you from enjoying the dream you worked long and hard to bring to fruition

6. OneFastM3

OneFastM3 Rookie

Nov 5, 2006
    You definitely should have called the cops.

FerRrari, cavsct94, JLF and 3 others like this.
  7. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Sorry to hear that mate. I never ever loose sight of my car ever. I often stop for a quick espresso or two but car is always in clear sight of me and if any shady characters approach my car I will get up walk to my car pretending im on my phone. Sad that's but the way it is.

Cheers

8. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Call the cops

My cars are Point A to Point A. I never park anywhere. It's always a problem.

Johntt, Shark01 and absostone like this.
  9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I would have made the call to the police and let them handle the situation. Who knows maybe they run his info and he's wanted or something?

I have CC, as you say no reason to open carry, unless you want to get shot with your own gun!!

I also carry a nice knife in all cars, lets just say one of his tires might have been a little low when he came back

armedferret, phrogs, bergxu and 10 others like this.
  10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Sorry to hear things like this. It seems that those without a Ferrari seem to think one just showed up in our garage one day. Never thinking about how hard one may have worked to get one there.

It's very concerning to think about the thought process involved with the ****** that did what he did to your car. A lot of angry people out there and are ready to blame anyone but themselves for their failings. Really sucks.

So far I've had nothing but good experiences in my 360. But with my previous 911, can't say the same. Vandalism never goes out of style and it's a shame that we have to even consider that calling the police would probably accomplish nothing.

Look at it this way; you probably got that one jackass that's out there and from now on the odds are in your favor that something like this will not happen again.

Enjoy the ride and don't let this one moron take up one more minute of your valuable life.

paulchua, bball16, Raconteur and 3 others like this.
  11. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    #11 Ghostdiver, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Not an exotic story, but a Home Depot one at that....was picking up something and at the next isle across from me, dude pulled in his dually and a 16' lowboy. Not uncommon at HD, but he pulled in between two sets of handicap stalls....effectively blocking four of them with his rig. I was loading my truck, and just looked at him. He saw me looking....called out WTF are you looking at? Now, keep in mind, this is an older white guy, I'd say late 60's. I just politely say, you realize I could ticket you for illegal parking, 4 tickets at $500 each right? FU...I've got a handicap placard was his response. As I say, that doesn't give you the right to park like that, grandpa starts to walk over. WTF are you gonna do now boy? Come on do something.....What I'll do is call an officer who is on duty to take care of this. Is that what you want? Grandpa turned and walked away...mumbling to himself.

Ran the plates on the truck and trailer, had an officer come by to check it out. he was gone when I came out, didn't bother to find out if it was own his own or with some help from the boys in blue...

Texas just went to OC recently as an option. He was....I wasn't, but I was CC though as always....

Dont confront, call the cops, let them handle it. Never know what they will find. Pulled a guy over for a broken taillight...both people in the car had multiple felony warrants....

paulchua, bball16, John_K_348 and 3 others like this.
  12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    There is a strong populist theme of hating the rich right now... or hating anyone ‘appearing’ wealthy..... a shiny f car does not sit well w these folks.

Not trying to get p/r on you.

If you leave it unattended in public—-

Kids touching sitting on it.
    Men placing gum or food on it...
    Or worse—. I got a nasty series of scratches from a belt buckle near my rear fender at work..

Better off point a to point a. Unless you live in Switzerland or nice -/;;

I'm 360 Canuck and kes7u like this.
  13. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Get a bottle of "Goo Gone". it should remove the residue without damaging anything significant. Sometimes people get jealous or something haha.
    The funniest thing i've encountered, was coming back to the car after a night of clubbing, and i found a used condom on the bonnet. lol!
    Fortunately, there was no visible damage to the car body :p

WJHMH and Nospinzone like this.
  14. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Point to point only

15. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thankful he did something impermanent. Easy enough to clean off, and more time to spend with your car! It could have been way worse.

I've been known to have a hot temper, and would have been FURIOUS. You did the right thing by regaining your cool and not escalating the situation. Maybe calling the police would have been the appropriate course of action, but who is to say. Not sure if I would have or not.

Just glad you and your car are OK.

Kevin

paulchua and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  16. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I refuse to alter my life; as in where and when I drive my cars out of fear of what might happen to them. I feel like if I do, the jerks win.

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    between potholes, commercial trucks, road debris, and a**holes, i can justify why i never drive some of my cars under normal daily conditions. unfort if ur gonna take it out during the day, to a store, etc ur gonna encounter one of those things on my list. to enjoy these cars under normal daily circumstances you truly have to succumb to not giving as crap.

kes7u likes this.
  18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing.

Yes, there are haters out there.....

I too have a concealed carry but as we all know, we use it as a last resort. Not to terminate an idiot hater. Not worth going to jail for.

In my 5 years of Ferrari ownership only 1 encounter of a hater. My fault I was driving in a bad neighborhood on the way to see a friend.. A beat up car got in front of me & wants to hit me head on. I held my ground, he flinched.

You did the right thing in my opinion. Just let it go.

I'm lucky, I leave and park my car at the Mall, Lowes Hardware store, etc and all I get is admirers when I come back to my car.

I always have a Ferrari toy car in my trunk that I give out to kids. The smile on their faces is priceless. Parents appreciate the kind gesture big time.

Sad that we have to put up with haters.

Be careful out there.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Wow. deliberately vandalizing your car. That's quite an *******!

I'd have called the cops. You can parade around with a gun, but if you're vandalizing peoples cars with a gun on your hip makes me wonder if that permit or right to parade around with a gun can be taken away...

20. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Home Depot in Scottsdale..... been there a few times in my 360 Modena. Always park a good distance from the rest of the crowd. There's always gonna be some a$$ with an attitude. You made the right call.
    2 years ago my wife and I stopped at a restaurant in Chino Valley for breakfast in her 2013 Porsche Cayenne. Bubba pulled up next to her car, opened the door and slammed a quarter size ding into the (up until then) perfect body. Guy was carrying. I got pretty steamed but did not confront this guy. People in Arizona want to open carry.... it's fine by me. But you have to think about the potential outcome of confronting anyone these days.
    Call me what you like..... I did not pursue the door ding although every time I look at it it pisses me off.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That sucks, but on the bright side at least the a_hole didn't key the car.

Calling the police is a tough choice because if they fill out a report, your name and address is on it too. Some of these gun nuts are really nuts and there's no telling what he would do.

In my younger days I would have taken his plate number and found out who he was for my own rough justice. I'm too old for that crap now though.

I second the Goo Gone recommendation, That stuff is terrific and will not damage the surface.

I agree with Curt. In Massachusetts, where they don't even want you to have a handgun, you would almost certainly lose your permit.

22. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Zack that sucks bro! At least no permanent damage to the car. I had a similar encounter when I first got my 430, I parked at a Lowes just to run in and grab something as well. Came out to see some fat Bubba sitting in his dually pickup truck taking pictures of his kids on my 430, one was laying across the front fender and hood, the other laying across the rear quarter panel and rear deck. Unfortunately some people really suck!

23. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I was at hamricks the other day and picked up a dash cam with a rechargeable battery for $11, made me think about buying a few just for situations like this...also putting a sticker on the window stating that they are on camera...sucks it has to be this way but in reality, people, in general, are terrible.

24. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Had my 430 Spider for 4 years and while I've never experienced anything quite that extreme, I have gotten "negative vibes" on several occasions from other automotive enthusiasts at various car events. People make assumptions when you're driving a Ferrari - not all good. I've had muscle cars and other sports cars all my life and truly enjoy the variety at most of our local C&Cs, but sadly have to admit that I've steered away from events that supposedly welcome all makes because I know there's a high probability I'll be driving the only exotic (even though there's tons of cars with more $$ invested). On the flip side, there's plenty of people that get excited when they see a Ferrari - guess that's all part of the experience.

25. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Love the generosity with the toys and kids. Where do you get them?

paulchua and whatheheck like this.