250 California LWB in the new Tarantino movie... | FerrariChat

250 California LWB in the new Tarantino movie...

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by davemqv, Jul 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For those that enjoy car spotting in movies as much as I do, a red 250 California LWB features prominently in a parking lot scene early on in Tarantino's new film, "Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood". The film is set in Hollywood during 1969.

Unlike some of you here, I am unable to tell in the short time it's on screen if it's real or a fake. Given the insurance liability I'd guess a fake or rebody, but given Tarantino's extreme tendencies for authentic and period correct everything, and the fact that there are likely a few "California's" in California somewhere, it might be the real deal.

Either way it appears twice in the segment. Once quickly in the background and once featured prominently in aerial view profile for what seemed like 5-10 seconds. It seems either Tarantino or his Productionn Designer thought the car emblematic of the period.

There are also several other great cars of the era in the film, including a nice 911 driven by Sharon Tate.

Happy hunting!

of2worlds likes this.
  2. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    I also say the movie last night, loved it, and spotted the red Ferrari. Not sure if it was a Cal Spider or a Series II cabriolet, and if it was real or not. Great movie, he absolutely nailed the feel of 1969 with the cars, movie marquees, restaurants and music. Sharon Tate’s 911 was gorgeous, as was Margo Robbie as Sharon Tate!

davemqv likes this.
  3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah it was great. A Porsche-phile friend pointed out that they used 3 different 911's for the film and all were wrong...as in too late. Lol, so who knows.

But yes the movie was a lot of fun and the representations of real people were fun and pretty well done, I thought.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #4 TTR, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Saw the movie yesterday and to my eye (untrained on Cal Spiders, having only worked one Comp. LWB few years ago) it had an appearance of one of those fiberglass fakes.

P.S. As for the movie itself, IMO it was the first one slowing the downward spiraling respect for Q.Ts film making I used to have prior to “K.B. I-II”.

davemqv, 375+ and crinoid like this.
  5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Im guessing it was a fake.
    I did love the movie though.

davemqv likes this.
  6. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    100% fake. The same kit car has been parked on PCH for the last week or so.

davemqv and 375+ like this.
  7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Any screenshot?

davemqv likes this.
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #8 375+, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    California Spyder is a fake and Sharon's 911S is a 1973. I believe that Roman Polanski had a 4cam at the time and they had his character driving a MG TD? The movie was good but slow and too long, typical Tarrantino gratuitous violence. Margot Robbie makes it all worthwhile.

davemqv, of2worlds and TTR like this.
  9. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #9 davemqv, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Fake it is, then! To me it looked more legit than the old "Ferris Beuller" California, but that's not much of a high bar to pass over, I guess. He should have opted for an authentic 275 GTB/4 or an early Daytona, but I guess he or his PD liked the convertible look.

Yes, I caught the later markings and mirror on the 911 on my second viewing of the film. Surprising he didn't use a '69 or earlier version as THAT certainly should have been easy to find. But a lot of the time I think it depends on what the movie car rental companies can come up with. I think in real life it was actually Jay Sebring who had a black 911, so the creative license applies to who drove what, as well.

As for the film itself, I absolutely loved it. it's the first film I've gone back to see more than once in the theatre since I was a kid. I love the slow pacing, rambling nature, and character driven plot, and the violence, while it never bothers me in any Tarantino film and is certainly still cartoonish, seems less gratuitous than usual here, and more to emphatically cap off a philosophical point of view that guides the movie. Also, Dicaprio and Pitt are both really good, and there is a genuine chemistry between them as Hollywood pals (onscreen).

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Too early I'm afraid. I think the film comes out on digital/DVD in October some time.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    There are only two very poor images of Porsches on imcdb.com and it was impossible to accurately identify what model year they are, but from what I saw both cars could very well be 1969 or earlier.