Another Dino on BaT | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Another Dino on BaT

Discussion in '206/246' started by swift53, Jul 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    It's gotten very quiet in that thread over on BaT. Very quiet.

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    ...and bidding, non existent.

Regards, Alberto

375+ likes this.
  3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

If, and this is the BIG IF, - if this car actually is stolen, or there is some other sort of fraud involved, then even parting it out could very easily result in the vendor facing potential criminal charges for selling parts of a stolen/misidentified car. You'd essentially have become a chop-shop.

Porsche Pete likes this.
  4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Is this auction definitely with a reserve?

Matt

5. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I believe if it is no-reserve, that features prominently in the description.

swift53, 375+, Smiles and 1 other person like this.
  6. Porsche Pete

Porsche Pete Rookie

Aug 25, 2012
    Novato
    Full Name:
    Peter Irlenborn
    It is time to call the White House and get Putin's number: this car (#1208) is destined for Moscow, where it has been reported that about 40% of ALL high end cars there, have been "sourced" in other European Capitals and sqirrled into Russa. My month long yearly visits to the South of France in the 1980's, with our favorite cars taught me that it is easy to lose either a six cylinder or twelve verson car there.
    They often disappeared from the elegant private parking lots of the hotels in the south of France, being not far from the Italian border. My BBi at the time was 'borrowed' once for the afternoon, fortunatly to return later, but now with an empty gas tank!

375+ likes this.
  7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    If it is a Reserve auction, no way it will be less than 225K - 250K. And, no way it will become a 'non reserve'.
    But then we have seen stranger things...

Besides, who will be the brave to bid on this 'pronounced dead' Dino #01208?

Regards, Alberto

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    At the moment it appears as though the consignor wants it to die quietly, but I won't be surprised to see some spirited bidding just shy of reserve;)

19633500GT likes this.
  9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Shill-ack the auction with bids you think? On the last day? Never! Lol

10. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I have been consulting on another Dino with similar VIN issues - in fact almost the identical issue - a Euro E series by appearance but with an L series VIN. In my opinion, The current owner of this car has a real messy road ahead of him. How can he now sell this car without uncovering the real story behind the VIN? Going thru this process will take a lot of time and money. Also, no reputable auction house will consign this car- the risk is too great. And I speak from experience as the car I was involved with did appear at public auction (a well known auction company) and was purchased by a dealer. Subsequently, the car was dragged thru the mud on public forums just like 1208 here, and the dealer involved wound up spending quite a substantial sum of money on legal fees to force the auction company to buy it back.

dinogts, BigTex, UroTrash and 2 others like this.
  11. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    This thread and the Bat auction are probably the most interesting ever; a rare event indeed.

Porsche Pete likes this.
  12. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    I'm retired, but if I was still employed by a law enforcement agency, I would contact the California Highway Patrol and the California Department of Motor Vehicles about some concerns I have. It is possible for the title to be suspended pending a detailed forensic examination of the vehicle. With a suspended title, the vehicle cannot be registered in any State. With a California title, the vehicle would be required to be returned to California for the examination. The detailed forensic examination will take time and will not be done by some CHP traffic officer whose only training is writing speeding tickets. But I'm retired, and I don't feel like sticking my nose in other people's business. However, if I wasn't retired, and if I got involved, I have a feeling that someone would be very unhappy with my report. The CHP can seize a motor vehicle with altered or obscured identification numbers until the legal owner can be identified. As a side note, a number of members of a certain motorcycle club (81) have lost their bikes due to altered of obscured numbers. They were not happy with me.

dinogts, UroTrash, efg2014 and 5 others like this.
  13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Bid to $151,000, but . . . "reserve not met".:rolleyes:

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I wager that car disappears from the public eye for awhile!

Nice work guys!!

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Unless this car is fully legitimized with its numbers, it will never sell again, not as #01208.
    Period.

Other possibilities:

0. A very detached, non-informed buyer. Plenty of those in the world, more $ than brains.
    1. Exported to a ‘very dubious’ 3rd world country, I would not touch it with a 10' pole,
    and even then…
    2. Parts
    3. Total insurance loss.

Regards, Alberto

jag312 likes this.
  16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Surely you are not impugning the integrity of second-hand car salesmen? Arthur Daley would be spinning in his grave! :D

synchro and TTR like this.
  19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    None of the above, and Arthur Daley would have called it a "nice little earner", or one of his many hilarious ripostes.

I would have loved to get my hands on it, but it would have been a nightmare importing it here,
    with our 'eagle eyed' Customs Dept. They would have doubted the M. Mouse welds a mile away.
    Bottom line, car confiscated, me, potentially in the can. Thank you, but no.

The car has to be declared "SOLD", so we can all forget about it.
    It will possibly reappear, as what it really is/or not, once the dust and legal docs. are settled.

Just an opinion, and you have yours too :)

Regards, Alberto

375+ likes this.
  20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    No income tax, no VAT,luvverly jubbly;)

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #96 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #97 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  23. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    SOLD? A fool and his money are soon parted.

24. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Too bad that Motorious didn't list in the classified ads here on FChat. That would have been interesting.....

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  25. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The Chassis plate is photographed with a bit less of the previous 'graphic detail'.
    It even looks slightly better, yet...it still is #01208.
    Regards, Alberto