DIY 328 coolant "hose job" question(s) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DIY 328 coolant "hose job" question(s)

Discussion in '308/328' started by mixedgas, Jun 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    And this is the same side as the vacuum hose or does it run on the other side with the A/C lines?

Lester

2. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you very much John, this is extremely helpful!

3. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I have always been of the mindset that when they are apart, replace everything you can associated with the tear down. Good luck with the project.

mixedgas likes this.
  4. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Saabguy likes this.
  5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I still don't get it.What's the purpose of that procedure with steel cable or nylon rope through the hose?
    Why not simply connect the old with the new hose and pulling through the new one with the help of the old one?
    That was the way I did the job and it worked with a helper who pushed on the front while I pulled on the rear.

Best from Germany
    Martin

6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Martin, my hoses were quite dry rotten/brittle and I didn't want to risk them breaking at the join so I just attached the aircraft cable to them, pulled them out and then used the aircraft cables to pull through the new hoses. I'm sure your way would work >95% of the time.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  7. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Martin- we use nylon rope as a backup if you have one of those - Oh s**t moments. Nylon is pulled thru first with a phising wire, and is there as a backup in case hose's come apart.
    We also go from rear to front. But to each their own

8. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Afternoon Martin,
    Nice hearing from you. I use a steel cable because it's a tight pull, specially because you have the gas tank in the middle and there is a curve on the hose at that point.
    How would you hold both hoses together... with a fitting and clamps? That would end up tangled up somewhere inside, and now what!!!

As said before, it's a tight pull...could be very tight.

Just my experience when I replaced mine and I did need help feeding the new hose into place.

Best from Spain... hitting for the coast this afternoon :) it's like 39 Celsius.

John

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    … I have been following this thread with great interest.

The connection of this hose to my engine was weeping and when redoing it I discovered that the hose is in terrible shape.

I can't quite find the courage to try to replace the hose.

10. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you everyone! I'm thinking of replacing the coolant and vacuum hoses running through the bodywork (like in Todd's Post 29) since I have things pretty far apart at this point. Based on what I can find on this forum, the long vacuum hose is 1/2 inch (13mm) ID. I'm unsure what the coolant hose diameter is, but will post that up once I figure it out.

On the other work, I received the brass fuel injectors and some other parts this week, still waiting on injector seals and some other gaskets / hoses I ordered. I had to go to 4 different sources to obtain all the hoses for replacement (fuel, coolant, EGR, evap etc.). I'm hoping to get the timing belts/tensioners installed this weekend, then start putting things back together. Planning to not re-install the A/C compressor as the system is currently devoid of gas and I don't plan on running the marginal AC here in temperate Oregon (I have a separate post going on this topic).

I'll post my (slow) progress over the coming weeks in the hopes it is useful for others now or in the future.

Thanks again!!!
    Mike

11. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Also, Brian, the long coolant hose on my car was crumbling on the engine-side, but looks pretty good down by the wheel and further forward. You might be able to just splice in a couple feet of new hose on the engine side of things and call it good.

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi John,

I turned a sharply barbed connector on the lathe, which literally did bite on the inside and which was impossible to remove again by pulling. Had to cut it off after the hose was pulled through.

Best
    Martin

13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I installed a metal water line coupler that was about the inside size of both hoses and after drilling several small hole's thru the hoses and the coupler tied the new hoses to the old with steel wire then wrapped in duct tape so no wire sticking out to get caught on something. After lubing the crap out of the tight corner in the engine bay with dish soap, I fed from the rear with the hoses coming into the engine bay from above, and pulled from the front. Every couple of feet I went back and pushed a bit from the rear. I had the hoses pulled in about 15 minutes by myself.

14. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Mixedgas, I sent you a PM concerning your broken hose barb , # 26 in your previous post in this thread.

15. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi there, making slow progress on repairing the leaking coolant hose under the intake plenum. I only get about an hour or 2 each evening - slow and steady. Also, I decided to change the timing belts/tensioners "while I was in there." I had the radiator rodded out / cleaned up and replaced all the hoses with the SRI kit (coolant as well as fuel). I installed the coolant drain / auto bleed kit from Robert on this forum as well.

I had my machine shop install the new stainless nipple for the culprit leak, so that is progress. Planning to button up the cooling system in the next couple of days, then reassemble the plenum, replace a few more hoses and fingers crossed fire the car up! I really enjoy working on this Ferrari. After several years working on Citroen, the Ferrari seems simple and superbly designed! Lastly, a million thanks for the wisdom and kindness contained in the pages of this forum!
    -Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason likes this.
  16. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello Martin,
    Glad to hear your solution to the problem. More ideas help us all.

John.

17. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

Attached Files:

miketuason and Saabguy like this.