losing the soul | Page 4 | FerrariChat

losing the soul

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Dan D'Agostino, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Fine for a racing car but distracting in a road car. These vibrations can also create structural issues for the tub and other chassis components over time.

2. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Couldn’t agree more. If someone wants a limo it’s probably best they avoid the F50.

Caeruleus11 and Solid State like this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Indeed. The F50 under the skin is quite an emotional event. The only concern I would have is if cast iron made contact with aluminum anywhere (even if gaskets acted as the dielectric) as damaging corrosion would be inevitable. I don't think anyone ever reported this on the F50.

4. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Sorry to be pedantic, but have you ever driven an F50?

I’ve driven my F50 many times in central London, and on a very slow, very hot procession from Fiorano to Modena to mark the 70th anniversary. The only distractions are the attention of super enthusiastic road users and pedestrians.

And what structural issues? I’ve not heard of a single issue, ever. And the technician who works on mine is one of very best in the UK. Btw, Piero Ferrari has an F50 in his personal collection. That’s good enough for me.

Bundy, showme1946, Red Sled and 2 others like this.
  5. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Very well written and very accurate for capturing my thoughts too.

paulchua and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You do understand that countless road cars have cast iron engine blocks and aluminum heads, right?

Matt

showme1946 likes this.
  7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I would imagine that Piero has all the Ferrari hypercars. I never said that the F50 is less than amazing, as are all big 5. The fact that they dropped the stressed-member engine approach though tells all one needs to know.

8. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    When I discussed the F50 with Ramaciotti, her rather famous designer, my sense it was for far more mundane reasons than you’re implying.

You didn’t answer my question whether you’ve actually driven an F50, even though you’ve been vocal about its so called structural issues. Assuming you haven’t feel free to pop over and see for yourself how sweet it is.

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I was clearly trying to side-step this land mine and avoid making it personal, sir.
    No, I have not driven one, but I have ridden in one, so I have a perspective regarding the NVH. I am not a ludite either, suppleness is not my thing.
    The structural issues are not in my imagination, any automotive engineer can inform us about them.

PS: Let me re-iterate how much I like the F50. It is me 3rd favourite Ferrari, after the LaFerrari and the Enzo. Whether we like it or not, every new car is better than its predecessor, just as per Enzo's decree. ;)

10. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Just more nonsense as usual. For a start Enzo never decreed that.
    What he did say is that "the best Ferrari is the one that hasn't been built yet".

Enzo was smart marketer. His statement allows for the next Ferrari not to be as good as the last one.

Sir, often it is said that it is better to quit while you are ahead. In your case, it may still be a good idea to quit even though you are behind. :)

11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I believe this should satisfactorily answer any questions about the F50:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ferrari/f50/1995/1995-ferrari-f50-2/

F50 development was aided by input from three-time World Champion Niki Lauda and racer Gerhard Berger. Furthermore:

Being rigidly mounted, the engine transmits a high level of noise and vibration to the cabin. Even at tickover, a gentle tremor murmurs through the chassis, the pedals trembling beneath your feet. At high speed and high revs, the tremor swells to something measurable on the Richter scale, so that the whole vehicle is alive and vibrant, shaking the images in the rearview mirror to a blur. But this, like the need for ear plugs, is an essential part of the experience, and once you've tasted it, you'll crave more.

12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Wow...sounds like heaven...where do I sign up??

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When ever someone asks me what "soul" is, I say drive a classic car from the 60's and you'll understand how cars can have a soul.

I've been lucky enough to drive a 250 Lusso GT. Talk about soul. The engine is like a musical instrument but you can FEEL IT in the bottom of your seat. The gearbox whines and vibrates. The shift feels like you're actually moving pieces of steel around. The gauges move and jiggle organically. The brakes feel like you are physically attached to them through the pedal.

Its not just the Lusso that gives you that. E-type jags also have similar emotional feedback. My Dino had it too. They haven't made another engine that sounds like a Dino.

So has soul been lost? Of course. But on the other hand we have safety, speed, and reliability. And I really wonder today how much a completely hand built car like the Lusso would be priced if you could make something in Italy today just like it.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I can certainly tell that Chris Harris hates vibrations as much as you do:

Bundy, TheMayor and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yes. Similar metals avoid the problems.

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Have you noticed that some of you think that Ferrari lost its soul after the F50,while others say that it was with the FIAT era cars and so on?

WHEN did Ferrari exactly lost its soul?

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I can't believe this has devolved into a debate about the F50. It's the best halo car Ferrari ever made and could ever make, if things like NA V12's and manual transmissions mean anything to you. Neither the 288 or F40 ever did anything for me. In fact, when I first saw an F40 circa 1995, I thought it was ugly and as primitively finished as a kit car.

I will not drink the turbo V8 Kool-Aid.

18. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    F1-derived V12 mounted to CF monocoque mated to manual transmission. If that doesn't represent the absolute ethos of Ferrari soul, I don't know what does...

Bundy, day355, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  19. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    The day they started making road cars according to some.

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Sir, you are not only offensive, but nonsensical as well.
    It is pretty obvious that by saying that the best Ferrari has not been built yet, Enzo looked into the future. Would the next model be worse than the previous one? Highly unlikely!!! Of course he meant kind for kind; not a LaFerrari vs a California!!!
    Please take some of your own medicine and stop following me. Cheers.

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

I have met CH. I do not regard him as some sort of an automotive savant. On the same day I also met Button. Guess who I liked more...

22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Ferrari F1 ethos is encompassed by the next, greatest thing. You do know that Ferrari was the firsts F1 squad that introduced the paddle shifters in 1989. No? ;)

23. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    I wonder what this forum will say when Ferrari goes full EV. The only thing that will then separate them from other cars would be aero, handling, weight management/distribution, power delivery, torque vectoring capabilities, and exterior/interior design. Otherwise, no exclusive and special Ferrari V6s, V8s, or V12s that sing the song of their people.

tekaefixe likes this.
  24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Full electrification is many years away. Some pundits say that the future is not electric, but fuel cell driven.

25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    What???

G. Pepper likes this.