458 - New Wheels on my 458 rubbing... | FerrariChat

458 New Wheels on my 458 rubbing...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by synergy, Jun 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    After about 4 years of enjoying my black Speciale wheels on my 458, I decided that I was ready for a change. Black wheels seem to be so common these days and I am ready for something more interesting.

I have always loved the HRE Dark Clear P101s and finally pulled the trigger. After doing some research, I decided to go with the more aggressive 21/22 setup because I really feel it enhances the overall look of the 458. I know some may think these are too over the top, but I am in total love with the new look of the car! I purchased them from Wheels Boutique and the overall buying experience was awesome!

Now the not so good part....I have the 458 Novitec suspension at the default factory height setting and after researching and asking around I was under the impression that they would NOT rub with the HRE 21/22 setup. Unfortunatley, on occasion when driving around town and especially on the track they rub on the plastic liners of the front fender when turning hard and going straight when the suspension compresses due to a bump. There is a small wart/nub on the front wheel well plastic lining where it is rubbing. I believe this is covering a screw that holds the fender together with the front bumper. I don’t believe there is anything I can do besides raise the coilovrts up a bit. The car does look slightly raked so I could probably just raise the front.

I love the way the car looks and was thinking I could adjust the alignment but wanted to see what the forum thinks. Should I just raise it 1/4 inch in the front and call it a day?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. nero corsa

nero corsa Karting

Apr 4, 2017
    What tire size are you running on the front wheels?

3. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    255 / 30 / 21

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

beautiful color combo with the yellow brake calipers. In any case, had a very, very similar issue, not on my 458, but on a Jeep that I raised and put large wheels/tires. ...yes a Jeep....hold on....this might help....;)

What I did, I removed whatever hardware was holding together the wheel-well, went to a motorcycle shop and had them tack, plastic-weld the pieces together. I haven't take off a wheel on my 458 to see how the wheel well is assembled, but likely you may be able to just remove the plastic "knob", and plastic weld or epoxy the pieces together. There is some kind of super sticky, bumper adhesive (similar to what holds a windshield in place) that may also work. Hard-drying epoxy won't work. You will need something that flexes with impact & temperature changes. This WE I will try to get you the name of that bumper adhesive.

5. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Also, no spacers.

bcorner likes this.
  6. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the feedback!

7. nero corsa

nero corsa Karting

Apr 4, 2017
    Just a hutch, possibly if you run 245/30/21 it would be better only bc it is closer to the overall diameter to the oem diameter. Right now you are running .5" taller compared to 245/30/21 (.3") difference....its minor but it could be the mm you need to not have it rub. Raising the suspension will help you not rub when in the straights, but you will still rub when you are turning since the diameter still hasn't changed.

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The front does look a bit too low, so I'd vote raising it maybe 5mm. The other option would be to perhaps cut away the plastic nub you're describing and install a low profile head screw or maybe even a counter sunk screw.

Ray

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think it's pretty safe to say that this kind of setup was never intended for the track and very hard driving. I'm sure there will be no rubbing issues when running the 21/22 combo.

A track specific setup would either retain the 20" wheels or 19" wheels.
    Add to that when you increase the rear tyre with by that much, but only add a small width in the front, which means even more understeer from a car that already has some understeer from the factory.

If you switch to 245 section fronts, understeer will be even worse.

For track use on a Speciale or 488, I'd use 265/35R19 and 325/30R19 rubber.

At any rate, if the diameter is the issue and not the width, you can only fix it by raising the car or making the diameter smaller. But considering the fact that the radius of your new fronts are only 4 mm more than OE it seems really odd that the diameter should be an issue.
    What are the measurements of the front end ride height as the car currently sits?

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A 255/30r21 is only 0.3" larger in diameter than stock. 26.8" vs. 27.1"

11. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Nice car. I understand why the front is lower, to create more downforce on the car. 458s tend to run a higher ride height in the front. If you want to run such a setup with that ride height and those wheels, I don't recommend it, but stiffening the suspension would stop the rubbing, meaning spring rate and body roll, maybe tamper with damper (compression). I dont recommend this though. Changing the suspension setup, messes with the whole balance of the car all together. My best advice tamper with the ride height at front until it doesn't rub anymore just like others have advised.

Very nice car.

12. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. When I drive the car in race mode the suspension is stiffer and the rubbing is not as common when driving on the freeway. Big dips will still cause the car to rub. I'm thinking that I will try and raise the front slightly and give that a try. I was also thinking of using a heat gun to try and flatten the wheel well trim nub.

13. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    It's definitely the front too low then, or the wheels too big, but the wheels look amazing so, keep those. great stuff.

synergy likes this.
  14. nero corsa

nero corsa Karting

Apr 4, 2017
    Stock wheel size for the 458 italia is 235/35/20 (26.5")
    What you are quoting is off the speciale (245/35/20 = 26.8") I believe.

15. midengine

midengine Karting

May 7, 2007
    Chris - how is the "ride" on the 21/22 setup on the street as compared to stock. Thanks.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You are right.
    The whole Speciale wheel threw me off a bit.
    So yes, in that case the difference in diameter is significant. A shamev265/25R21 is not available. Would be the best size for such a setup.

17. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Although I’d consider myself a “track rat”, I’m not a know-it-all about car setup and safety. However, it seems extremely dangerous to you and other track day participants to be driving a car in which the tire is rubbing on a fender fastener nub. Imagine how hot and unstable the tire gets driving around a circuit and what could happen at a little G-out/bump on a 150 mph straight if the tire rubs that nub in just the right spot at the right time - nothing good!! Furthermore, unless you track/drive with the CT off, the different tire diameters are likely screwing up the system’s calibrations and making the car less stable. My advice for your safety and others would be to have a set of stock wheels for the track and keep your fancy wheels for the street.

SingleClutch and Need4Spd like this.
  18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If you value your life and your car, don’t use band-aid fixes! The tires need to clear all the way through the suspension cycle, including full compression. You don’t want a tire to interfere with anything, especially when encountering a high speed bump. The sudden change could unbalance the car and cause loss of control. No interference means fender rolling or different wheel offsets, etc. Don’t raise the ride height or put in stops to reduce the amount of suspension travel.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

19. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Those wheels look absolutely fantastic on your car! I agree - keep those for the street and have some “all business” wheels and tires for the track.

Fly fast and take chances

20. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes I agree, I'm going to keep the Speciale wheels for the track and use these for the street. I think with raising the front slightly it should help for street use.

21. RickH3

RickH3 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    I also have the 21" and 22' wheels. My car must be set up higher, as I have only had rubbing when the wheel is fully turned (on rear part of fender liner). I have now gone to 245/30's which fit better. But are limited manufacturers. I just use these for street, use stock tires for track.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  22. bcorner

bcorner Karting

Aug 25, 2017
    Id make sure to get the car corner balanced to make sure the geometry is proper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

synergy likes this.