Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    really, 18 gallon fuel tank? that's it?
    that's fair bit smaller than the typical 458-class chassis, given that the electrics are useless for almost any amount of time over 130mph it would seem imperative the liquid fuel tank be there in the same capacity as previous...

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    18 gallon seems pretty small. I guess the battery could help with city driving consumption a little, but 25km of range isn't much...

3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Yes, and priced at $1M++, 1000kg, all CF body and chassis, but, that wouldn't be a GT car or would it?

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Both hands on the wheel without temporarily removing one is relevant on track where youre at 9-10/10ths.

If a sportscar is about driving entertainment, viceral entertainment, then once youre out of a city/traffic a manual is simply more engaging/entertaining for a given speed, if you know how to use it, additionaly downshifting can be done before the corner returnign both hands to the wheel..
    Realisticaly its near impossible to use all the performance even a manual 360 has on the road. Potential performance beyond a certain level means on road you are driving, actualy more like just guiding a car well within its potential performance envelope, its then at best a carnival ride requiring little of the driver.

I guess some of us would much rather take a Mclaren F1 out on the road, experiencing the steering feedback, manual shift, motor sounds and still epic power, all of which is entertaining at many speeds, than say somethign modern and filtered. By the same token an carerra Gt is simply more fun on road, than a "faster" 918, and neither is going near its maximum potential.

Going further and amg mercdes already has more capability than can be deployed on road, but as we know a 911 porche is going to be more entrtainign at comparabe speeds.

Picchu88 and HotShoe like this.
  5. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    True, its more like a SUV (weight-wise :()

6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    see what's behind the rear axle?
    that's power regen for battery packs or distribution grid, the orange power cables directing the power to the electric motors, the electric motor between the engine and transmission adds length to the car and forces the exhausts up to the mid-line of the rear (i.e. unusual location), so it is 'vertically stacked' at the rear so while the engine is low, all that behind it is not, so, they "inflated" the rear canopy to cover it..

plus those gpf's generate a very substantial amount of heat so that extra 'air gap' in there gives more room for dissipation of the heat...

anyway, that's my take!

OneD, Ogbean, Albert-LP and 4 others like this.
  7. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    The engine may not be that low in reality (its crank will have the same height as in the 488, unless they are using a smaller diameter clutch - are they?) - so it likely just looks "low" and buried because of the "high" surrounding bodywork.

dcmetro likes this.
  8. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I wonder what happened to the fishbone-style battery architecture which has been associated with the new modular platform. I’ve thought it’s a very interesting concept. From a pure visual point of view the construction of the actual car doesn’t look that fancy. I believe Ferrari that it’s a fabulous piece of engineering it just doesn’t look like it.

R J, crinoid, G. Pepper and 1 other person like this.
  9. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It is a wonderful looking car, full of detail and intrigue. Technology is high and interesting. I love it, with only two reservations, possibly 3. The rear lights are Camaro 100% , it is a fat porker, weight is high ,and possibly the third, price. It will be huge success , I want one, but Ferrari need to start working on serious weight reduction . Adding power is not the solution. They also cannot over price it as the numbers produced are high and they need to think of where second, third and fourth owners are going to come from or face catastrophic depreciation. They also need make sure all of the technology is reliable. They of course will be doing that, but this is a huge leap forward for the company and it must work from the off. Overall massive hit.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    They already announced the engine sits 50MM lower

stavura, TSOYBELIS and of2worlds like this.
  11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    In the 12 page press release that Mr. Massini posted yesterday, it says...

"The Head Up Display is another part of the innovative HMI and allows various data to be projected onto the windshield within the driver’s field of vision so that their attention is not distracted from driving. "

Has anyone seen pics or have extra info on the HUD?

T

Ferrari 308 GTB and tekaefixe like this.
  12. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    No V8 or Turbos so the intakes as much of the rest of the design are not influenced by them.

NeilF8888 and jamesdouglas1436 like this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    What about the sound and driving sensation? This is an important area where 720 fell over for most. You can give all the power and straight line speed in the world but if it sounds crap, mundane to drive vs the others, and, looks questionable then what good is all that speed and power, most which cant be accessed 99% of the time anyway?

Not as if the Ferrari was ever slow to begin with either. Ferrari has always provided the superior driving sensations, a superior sound and beautiful design packaged in a lightweight body - up until now.

IMO SF90 has now opened the door wide for Maclaren by providing a rather awkward design along with a weight penalty never seen before and, has added a lot of power which I'm not so convinced will compensate for the other two shortfalls.

Ash Patel and Monsieur Yoge like this.
  14. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    Its interesting, from this pic the structure of the car look like an old fashioned ladder chassis as opposed to a monocoque - is that the case?

15. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for that - I assume they have a smaller diameter clutch then. For example the diameter of the clutch in my 1979 F1 Williams is less than half that of a road car.

But visually the SF90 engine looks like it sits 300+mm lower due to the surrounding bodywork being so high.

ingegnere likes this.
  16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    With all this attention on 'low' I wonder how they were able to plumb the exhaust in there. Just below the cylinder heads there seems to be lots of bends in the pipes for efficient exhaust flow. Also proper heat needed for GPF is 600F to function properly; ie not get contaminated with soot. Even with the heat challenges there appears to be some amazing engineering done to meet the drive requirements.
    No wonder they are being coy on the price...

F2003-GA likes this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Relevant on a twisty road as well.
    It 's also a matter of exposure. In Europe nearly all people learn to drive a manual first and then an automatic. We are so used to manuals that they are nothing exotic or special.

red passion likes this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    That's what I was thinking the batteries would look like. Stacking the cells into a vertical package is probably easier and more space efficient at the cost of higher CG. Also, putting it out back, behind the firewall is smart and helps rearward weight distribution. Motor Controller looks heavy and high too.

Where's the fuel tank?

crinoid and red passion like this.
  19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Except the P1 can kill you, watch out!

https://carbuzz.com/news/these-are-the-things-most-people-don-t-know-about-the-mclaren-p1

It may sound complicated to package all of this technology into a car that features a gas-guzzler tax-waiving hybrid drivetrain, but don’t worry because the mechanics struggle with the car too. A simple servicing of the P1 requires a mechanic who is willing to risk their life.

After removing the entire rear end of the car, service can only begin after the mechanic dons a special full body suit that is electrically grounded. Anti-shock gloves come to the daring technicians aid, but if all else fails, McLaren requires P1 mechanics to have a defibrillator nearby to restart their hearts in case all 600-volts of electricity from the hybrid battery stops it. It's details like this that make the McLaren P1 rank as one of the most opulent purchases that the world will ever know. By requiring a mechanic willing to sacrifice their lives, the ability to bend the wind, and materials developed for space exploration, the McLaren P1 even makes ivory look like an expendable resource.

20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Actually it drops down from the underside of the wing to close the gap and increase downforce.

And low speeds and while going straight at high speeds it retracts and allows air to flow in the gap to reduce drag.

21. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    One reason to think of Battery being not underbody is in case of accident last thing you want is high voltage under your seat and also fire under your seat.

Other thing is you can not expose battery to water so much while maintaining the capacity of easy access for service. When it is so far down, then you have to seal tight the whole underbody.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    After the presentation today, my guess- the SF90 Stradale will be „sold out“ end of next week

day355 and SAT4RE like this.
  23. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    If it hadn’t feasible from a technical perspective it for sure wouldn’t have been come as far as a concept.

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    No doubt about that :p

25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I’m guessing battery tech needs to improve first.

red passion likes this.