Warning lights question. | FerrariChat

Warning lights question.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JLF, May 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Hey guys, something I hadn’t thought about till the other day. I have the misfire (I assume) it feels like only one bank firing at idle. Wouldn’t something like that set off a check engine light? Being an airline pilot I need to know my warning lights are all working.
    So when I got in my car the other night I turned the key to see what lights come on on the dash. Are they ALL supposed to light up momentarily as a test?

Here is a pic I snapped of what comes on when I first turn the ignition key. It looks like there are several other lights that aren’t coming on. But I don’t know if they are supposed to.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    What year/model/version F? We aren't psychic ;) (and a "check engine" light didn't exist until about 1989)

Many do, but some might only light-up during starter motor cranking (I'm having a vague recollection that the "brake failure" light does this on some models). Do you have the OM for your exact year/model/version? It has a lot of this sort of operational information.

3. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    89 T coupe

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I believe your 89 t would be the first year/model Mondial to have check engine lights, and they should have some sort of self-test -- like maybe illuminating for a second, or two, when the key is first turned "on" and then go out (it should say something about this in your OM). If they never illuminate = I'd guess someone has removed the bulbs as a poor "fix" to a problem ;)

5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks for the response.

6. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I made this video awhile ago to answer a similar question. Here is what our 1992 t does on start. Of course I can’t say for sure it is correct but it does appear you are not getting the yellow CEL lights.