Carrera Panamericana Mexico | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Carrera Panamericana Mexico

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by PanAm Plates, Nov 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Sad article on the Panini Alfa Romeo 2500 accident in 1951:

" Carlos Panini was a wealthy Mexican businessman of Italian origin, from Mosio di Acquanegra sul Chiese in the province of Mantova in Lombardia region. He is credited with being the first pilot to fly a light plane around the world. In 1927 he had established Mexico's first scheduled airline, which he had sold shortly prior to the race as he was planning to retire. He was a motorsport enthusiast and participated in numerous competitions.

Panini died when his car crashed during the 1951 Carrera Panamericana on the second stage from Oaxaca to Puebla. Although the registered driver for the race was Carlos' daughter Teresa (Teresita), he was at the wheel of car, despite the fact that he did not have a valid license and was in ill health. The accident happened when 15 year old Bobby Unser was trying to overtake Panini who was travelling at a lower speed and blocked the American for a long stretch. After several attempts, Unser made his move but Panini tried too late to block him, resulting in the two cars bumping one another. Unser nearly went off a sheer cliff but was skilled enough to control his Jaguar, while Panini's Alfa Romeo went straight into a wall, killing the driver instantly. Unser did not stop for fear of being disqualified from the race as the rules explicitly forbade it. Later, Ricardo Ramirez of Mexico City abandoned the race to rush the Paninis to a hospital in Puebla. Teresa Panini survived the accident with minor injuries.

Press reaction to his death was strong in condemning the race as his was a part of a series of prominent deaths that year. At the time of his death newspapers gave his age as 54, but one states his age as 48."

http://studio16mmjackinthebooks.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-last-film-of-carlos-and-teresa.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Lobo7 and Christian.Fr like this.
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Those who look at this and the http://www.forum-duegieditrice.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33947&start=6360e forums are really opening up the information available on Carrera Panamerica 1950-1954. Just found these two photos, one a super rare shot of the Canada Shoes 1953 356 and another Alfa 1900 photo. Keep bringing them on. I love it even if it means another snippet decal reprint for my decal sheet. I will have to raise prices as Cartograf is not cheap. Also Cartograf is taking 3 months to print decals so some delays are coming for Scale Designs decals. If you want perfection it takes a lot of effort!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Stephen says he has not made an official second documentary.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #588 F1tommy, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Someone posted these on this great site. They were taken by the women who owned the car just before the race. She gave the car to the drivers according to her grandson. Pan Am 1954 Alfa Romeo 1900 #252. Kodachrome slide. Amazing what is still turning up on the 1950-1954 Carrera Pan America thanks to the internet and alot of interest in the race. Not far from the USA so alot of good color film made it's way down there it seems. I will do decals for this car in 1/24th and 1/43rd scale.

http://www.forum-duegieditrice.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33947&start=6900

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    View attachment 2689516 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

gt4me likes this.
  11. scudetto1959

scudetto1959 Karting

May 4, 2012
    Tom, can you estimate when this decal will be released? And where it can be bought?
    Your first Alfa Romeo Carrera Panamericana sheets were fabulous!!!

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Thank you. Probably in the fall. It would not fit on the VW Beetle 1954 sheet after I put the 1952 Jaguar Puebla convertible on so I have to come up with another Pan Am sheet. Most likely only in 1/24th scale but not sure yet.

13. Toninyapas

Toninyapas Karting

Nov 25, 2009
    Expensive toys were not only for adults!

14. Toninyapas

Toninyapas Karting

Nov 25, 2009
  15. Toninyapas

Toninyapas Karting

Nov 25, 2009
    Tommy, in the "Eva Perón" Porsche 356 the text on the rear wheels must say "En representación..." instead of "En reprentación..." And in the "Calzados Canada" Porsche 356 the text in the AMERICA sponsor is "La Llanta Hacedora del Camino" instead of "La mejor llanta del mundo"

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

The restoration on #0428M is finished. The owner contacted me several years ago looking for information on the car at the Carrera Pan am 1954. Looks like they did a great job on her.

What concours will be the first they show here at? Cavallino??

Image Unavailable, Please Login

modena06 likes this.
  17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Sorry, already shown at Pebble Beach last August. Have not been keeping up lately as I am to busy.

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  20. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Coming into this folder late. Fantastic information and photos of an infamous and grueling race. Are there any books on the history/participants/cars for the Carrera?

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There is at least one good one, let me see if I can find it in my library.