Quick Jack Lift | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Quick Jack Lift

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, May 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Oops pre Christmas hangover, I should have said tranny fluid.

2. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
  3. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Somebody posted something about the Quickjack 5000slx being unstable depending which way the car is facing. In fact, it does not matter which way you have your car on the lift, as long as the designated outside of the lifts are facing out, and not towards the inside of your car. I confirmed this with them via telephone today. As an added safety precaution, you can use standard jack stands under the front and back of the lifts, but be caution not to rest them on the hydraulic lines, even if you have them disconnected. Pic of mine for reference.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Please tell that to my 360, as it doesn't seem to understand! When placing the Quickjack with the sticker towards the front (yes, with the outside facing out), the front of the Quickjack actually lifted off the ground and the car was tilting nose up. While the Quickjack may be usable in either configuration, it is significantly more stable with the sticker part towards the rear for the 360, and this should be the recommended configuration. (BTW, love the picture with the floor plate of the car removed!)

Kevin

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  5. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Hi Kevin,

Not sure what to say. The jacking points don't change, but where you place the blocks on the QuickJack should. Maybe you didn't shift the location of the rubber pads when you turned the car around? In the end, if the lift is supporting the same weight at the same jack points (and your 360 has near 50/50 weight distributuon), then it should not matter which way the vehicle us facing. That's why QuickJack doesn't specify a vehicle direction in their product information or on their web site. They can't do this because many vehicles will have different weight distribution. Think of the two extremes; front engine/front drive vs. rear engine/rear drive. Both vehicles would face the same direction if QuickJack required the vehicle face a certain direction. So, check where you placed the blocks on your QuickJack to see if that made a difference from when you had your 360 in one direction and then turned it around. You should move the blocks accordingly and not assume the same position will suffice. Hope this makes sense.

6. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I dont see how it lifts one end before the other if you place the rubber blocks at the proper lifting points. The floor of the car is parallel to the ground and the lift raises parallel as well. Wss this done on a driveway with a slope?

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

It doesn't lift one end before the other. When you get in the air the car is unstable because all the weight is in the rear. I raised mine about a foot and pushed down on the rear bumper and observed the front of the lift ramps come off the floor about an inch. This is because of the locations of the trays on the lift. When you turn the ramps to face the rear you can get the rubber blocks placed further rear to the factory jack points and the car is much more stable when raised.

8. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Did you have the rubber blocks centred from front to back in the lift as well ? I spent about 20 minutes just lining it up making sure. I was able to lean into my engine Bay and mine was stable.
    I also have a full tank of gas in the car

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  9. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I have used mine on two cars (both rear engine) and always had the stickers to the rear (car moving towards the rear when going up). Neither car was unstable at all. To be honest I never thought about spinning them around. The only reason I even put them that way to begin with was to have the hoses coming out the front. I leave them on the floor (pushed together) and drive over them. I couldn't do that without taking the hoses off after each use so that's just the way I set them up. I never gave it another thought. I even did a turbo swap on my last car (twice) and numerous tire removals and the car never budged. I really don't see how some guys are having issues with instability.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

A week or so ago I found a video online that showed you can also turn the ramps sideways under the car if that positioned better to jacking points.

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for pointing this thread and link out to me. I'm joining in from the thread in Detailing about the Costco sale.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/found-quickjack-at-costco-for-1099-will-it-work-with-my-modena.586031/

That's a cute video but who in the hell is going to risk their car on a lift like this before seeing it operate properly?
    I remember operating my portable 4 post lift the first time and seeing the posts wobble around. Scary as hell till you realize it's supposed to work that way. Still scary ...
    As I said in the other thread I think they should ship these out with the hoses pre-assembled and pre-bled in much better shipping boxes too.
    Think of the headaches they'd eliminate and how happy their customers would be! One of my cylinders just had a bolt stuck in the connection point and the schrader valve was about to fall out.

After 4 or 5 bleeds mine seemed to lift and drop evenly once with me standing on it before all the air leaked out of the bad cylinder.

I got either a poorly rehabbed unit or one poorly returned to Costco or whomever. I think it's going to work for me though. Calling the 5000 unit potable is technically correct but those ramps are quite heavy and unwieldy.

I'd be curious about people's house routing choices for the short ones. I see them going staring out the end in some photos but that seemed like it might pinch them when I was assembling them?

Thanks.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm going to be lifting a front engined car, Espada, with the stickers toward the front because it needs to pull away from the rear wall of the garage. Tight space.
    I'll see how it goes.

When I do my 2005 Jag this spring I'll have to utilize the crimp seam weld lift points that have a notch in them. I've been using 2 stacked hockey pucks with a slot cut in the top one on floor jacks to allow for placement of jack stands in the front but it's nearly impossible to place jack stands in the rear while it's up on the floor jacks. That's the scariest car I've ever had to lift and I can't really get it high enough for comfortable working conditions underneath. Plus ... raising and lowering it bit at at a time on each side plus front and back separately is a huge part of why I bought this lift.

I'm relieved to see that most people are having a good experience with this.

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I finally got to speak to the QuickJack tech and a new cylinder is on it's way. Hooray!

16. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This works, but ...... since the mechanism movement is not strictly vertical there is quite a bit of sideways 'scrubbing' on the wheels. Not a big deal and not as bad as spirited driving in the twisties.

17. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Does anyone have a photo of where on a 308 they are putting the rubber blocks? Hope to get my Quick Jack running this weekend.

Glassman likes this.
  18. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I place the hoses to the front of the car and set the back of the jack about 4 or 5 inches in front of the rear tires. If the jacks are set about 38 from inside of one to outside of the other you can hit a rail just behind the factory jack points and on the frame angle member at the front. Very stable.

jcurry likes this.
  19. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I generally place them at the ends of the longitudinal tube along the rocker panel where the diagonal frame members join.

20. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    Mimmo Blue likes this.
  21. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Glad you like it....but has nothing to do with this thread.
    I would never put any car of mine on a two post lift.......and then get under it.

22. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I used mine extensively last month on my brake job.
    It did seem to balance better when I had the ramps in the proper direction, but I found I could compensate for the height delta by using different sized rubber blocks to shim up the car to be better balanced.

Overall it worked great.
    Fwiw, I used mine on my 4 post lift, so as level a surface as likely anyone’s.
    I wasn’t sure I was going to keep it, but I think it’s going to be really handy, and most of it stores discreetly in the middle section of the 4 post lift.

23. FrankForrest

FrankForrest Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Bought mine in November, but just put it together yesterday. Question. As shown in the instructions, mine didn't come with the "Quick Frame Handles" or the "carrier" for the power unit, although it did come with rubber buttons which I think go on the bottom of the carrier. Also, the online instructions show "positioning handles" which mine didn't come with either. Did these parts come with anyone else's QuickJack? Mine came from Costco if that makes any difference. I'll call them tomorrow and ask but thought I'd also ask the members here.

24. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I just installed a Benpak 4-post. What is a bridge jack? Do you have a pic of it in use with your lift? Curious as to how it is used. Thanks.

25. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    A bridge jack goes across the middle of your lifts ramps so allows you to lift an entire end of your car at once ie the front or the back.

Like this
    http://directlift.ca/pro-jack-3500.htm

Penzinger likes this.