512 BBi, #51257 ended up in my garage | Page 3 | FerrariChat

512 BBi, #51257 ended up in my garage

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, Oct 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for the additional info peter
    but why you use better quality material ( E235 +Cr1 ) for less stressed parts? and what you understand under: thick wall metric square? 1,5 mm? or thicker?
    but I enjoy watching your pictures how you do all :) :)

2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    There is no mystery in the material choice. It is just because I have access to the square profiles locally and the cost difference between the slight different grades is insignificant. Also the welding characteristics are very much alike. Most of square / rectangular profiles are with 2 mm wall thickness.

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I have a 1985 prugna monospecchio!, Stuart

4. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    So yours might be the second one... VIN?

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I managed to squeeze a few hours of workshop activities into my weekend schedule. Got rid of the last pieces of federation add on's and straightened out both rocker panels. Happy weekend to all. Best Peter
    Removed the 5 kg door reinforcement bars and welded in a patch to close the hole:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Removed the rear collision protections bars:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

And finally straightened out the two rocker panels:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Best Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Finally, time for an update from SUNNY Denmark. I have managed to squeeze in some shop time between regular work, 50 years Dino celebration and beach weather and have now completed re-building of the front chassis section. This job was quite challenging with respect to accuracy but i managed to keep a very narrow tolerance using the straight bench as support and reference. I have quite a lot of respect for Newman who did the same job in free air more or less! All major front components have been installed temporarily for a final dimensional test. Next up is fixing all the fiber glass panels and spare wheel carrier.

Best regards Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Beautiful work Peter please keep posting. It is great to see all the Boxer love in this section and all the work being done around the globe to keep these cars running and looking beautiful. For those that are focused on value nothing will go more to the desirability of these cars then having these fully restored cars out and about.

Thanks for posting...

ferraripete and samsaprunoff like this.
  8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Peter,

I echo Scott's post... Wow that is some amazing fabrication work you are doing! Well Done!

Cheers,

Sam

9. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Agree- really awsome!

10. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    turbo-joe and G. Pepper like this.
  11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I took advantage of the nice autumn weather in Denmark and moved my glass fiber fabrication and bad smell outside to every bodies satisfaction. I fixed some old bad repair jobs on the used original front spoiler I was lucky to find (Thanks Paul), cut out holes for lights and radiator cooling and installed air channels for brake cooling. I had to give up on my old wheel carrier. It was in to bad a state so the decision to make a mold and cast a new one was easy. Big job but it paid out in the end. Lastly, I decided to try to fabricate the two fan covers from scratch. I think they came out nice. The easy part was the two NOS inner fenders I got from Maranello parts, it is amazing that it still is possible to find parts for these old cars. Enjoy......Best regards Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  14. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    great work ,thanks for the pics

15. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #67 pshoejberg, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    It must be time for a very short update. All welding is completed, and the car is now made ready for paint. Paint will have to wait till summer and while awaiting that I have started on the smaller stuff like disassembly of parts and cleaning parts in preparation for plating. There is also time for a little fun; Decided to play a little with silicone mould making and casting in steel reinforced liquid plastic resins. It only took about an hour to produce 4 of the NLA plastic end covers for the spoiler trim. Only need some black paint to complete the casting job.

Happy New Year to all

Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login ] Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I love this thread. Thanks for sharing all of these details, and thanks for the inspiration. Happy new year to you.

17. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Long time gone since last update due to trivial activities such as every day work for a living and family stuff. But the project is not completely set on halt. I completed hand cleaning of all nuts and bolts and other plated components from the entire car except the engine that will be dealt with separately. It is an enormous amount of parts to keep track of and always very exiting to send the stuff out for plating knowing that if the parts are lost the project is more or less lost as well. Anyway I got most of the yellow and blue zinc back this morning and from the weight it looks likes it is all there. I am a great believer in re-using the original hardware and I've inspected all nuts and bolts and have had less than 1% rejects, actually most components looks like new. Enjoy a few pictures from the process:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The panel goes over the inner not behind it.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Curious to see if your horses on the spinners look like giraffes after they're re-chromed.

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  22. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I got the radiator and the condenser overhauled. Decided to differ a bit from original on the radiator and went for a newer more efficient core design. Also took the opportunity to sand blast and electro galvanize the steel frame on the radiator so corrosion from the backside should be less prone. I love to watch the old man in the radiator shop work on these old style radiators made of steel and copper while he swear over the newer stuff made by plastic and aluminum and mostly imported from China. He has been in the radiator business for more than 45 years! Paint will be added later.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TerryG!, G. Pepper and turbo-joe like this.