Keep 458 or trade for 488 or Huracan 580-2? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Keep 458 or trade for 488 or Huracan 580-2?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ash Patel, Apr 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1

2. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    That's what happened too me

3. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    This was perfectly said, Those that hate on the 488 most likely never drove one or do not drive and push the limits of the one they have. I drive my spider almost every day, and it's a dream:) an absolutely amazing work of ingenuity, now I most likely will turn it in on an F8 spider but I'm not in any hurry personally. I also owned a 458 before my 488 so I got too experience that shift and it was significant. And the same was my experience going from my f430 too my 458.

4. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Does any of this **** really make sense I mean we are buying houses on wheels and wether we like too admit it or not we are loosing tens of thousands doing it. I love it too.

Clembo likes this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I for one didn’t like the 488.
    But good for you finding what you love.

xfrgtr likes this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    So I see 247 458s available nationwide. Those customers aren't looking very hard. I also see 251 488s for sale nationwide so it looks to me like availability is the same in terms of numbers. I was contacted last fall by the Maserati dealership that sold us our 2016 QP GTS about buying it back. They wanted stock and the car is rare because it has the 530hp turbo engine but they were only going to pay me top trade. It ended out that I got top trade for the car when I bought my wife her AMG GTC Roadster. There were only 6 of the GTS nationwide when the MB sales guy searched the listings but I still didn't get some magnificent amount of money for the car. The 458 isn't special, there are plenty available for sale.

7. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The 458 is special but also plentiful

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Too each his own I suppose, that's why we all are different.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I always felt the V8 Ferrari lacked power, before the 488 (and the "unfair" power from the turbo).
    So for me the 488 is far better than a 458 (the 488 made me "downgrade" from V12 to V8, which the 458 definitely could not do).
    Now financially I'm sure that keeping the 458 (which has already been hit by a large part of its depreciation) makes more sense.
    But these cars are not about financial sense (I would trade my 488 for a 458 instead of for an F8 otherwise), so do what makes you feel better :)

10. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I just bought a 488 spider to drive at our summer house. It was ordered to lock a spot on a Pista so it came slightly depreciated and with no miles. I figure I can use it for a few thousand miles this summer and consign next spring so it’s gone by the time the F8 is delivered. I’ve driven the Huracan and wasn’t enamored with it. We have a Mclaren 720 at home that is incredible (faster, smoother, better brakes than the 488) so you may want to try one of those out before choosing. I don’t expect the F8 spider will be out until 2021 so the spider should hold more value than the GTB.

11. Boston George

Boston George Rookie

Feb 5, 2018
    Bhh likes this.
  12. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    Just to clarify....I was not implying that 458’s were rare....just that the dealer told me he had several clients looking for a low mileage Rosso Corsa/Beige 2015 Spider....the last model year of the 458 Spider...

13. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    I was in the market for a 458 and then switched to a 488. I spent a fair amount of time in the 488 and wasn't feeling it. I couldn't talk myself into buying it. Was in a Huracan (first time ever) on a test drive and it took less than 5-minutes for me to decide to buy the car. Boils down to personal preference and what floats your boat is all. I ended up with a 580-2 and had the factory race exhaust put on.

of2worlds, RayJohns and Coincid like this.
  14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Had a 458 Spider and now a 580-2. Love the H, modern tech and interior big upgrade from 458. Daily drive mine, always an event behind the wheel.

Coincid likes this.
  15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I vote keep the 458. The 488 sucks.

Yes, the 488 is faster, but it's not all about a little extra speed. I loved my 458 (owned it for 3 years) and driving it was amazing and provided a lot of enjoyment and an escape from stresses of day to day life. Driving the 488 always just gave me a headache and left me in a bad mood. I sold the 488 as fast as possible and would never have another, nor a Pista, nor the F8.

You won't realize what an amazing car the 458 is until you sell it and own a 488.

Ray

16. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    Was in a similar situation recently. Have had a 458 for 4 years now. Absolutely love it. Drove the 488 when it was released and it did nothing for me. Been getting the itch for something new lately. Though to move on from the 458 it had to be something very special and blow me away just like the 458 does every time I drive it.

I thought the 812 would be that car. Drove one and as much as I was expecting and wanting it to blow me away it just didn’t. Went and drove the HP and that was more what I was looking for. Get my new HP in a weeks time. And for the price of a nicely optioned 812 it hasn’t cost me much more to keep the 458 and add the HP.

But till now I still can’t get myself to part with the 458. Maybe after having the HP for a while I will be able to give up the 458.

dustman, RayJohns and Coincid like this.
  17. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The comparison between the 458 and 488 has been discussed endlessly on this forum. Some posters take a softer approach in expressing their POV, while others take a sledgehammer to the issue; I find the latter unnecessary. That said and in sum, here's my $0.02, sans commentary on the Huracan which, other than the Muira, just isn't a good emotional fit for me.

I loved the 488 the moment I laid eyes on it (2015), but since I was a first time Ferrari buyer, waiting for an allocation was out of the question. So instead I bought a 3,000 mile CPO 2013 458, which was fairly heavily optioned and an absolutely stunning car.

In my eye, there were a few design elements of the 458 that I never really loved. The design was revised in the 488, in a way that suited my taste perfectly. I kept the 458 for 18 months and enjoyed every moment of it. But as soon as it was possible to order a 488, I set about specing one out. No detail was overlooked and the car was ordered to my exact specification, which even now, one year later, still blows me away every time I look at it.

So for me the change was about the design revisions that perfectly suited my taste, in combination with ordering a car that had all of the options I wanted, and none that I did not. I hadn't driven a 488 until my car was delivered, so there were some very pleasant surprises. The incredible torque pretty much at any speed in any gear, the more direct on-point feel of the steering, and the melodious exhaust note being the most notable. The 458's 9,000 RPM redline, which many are so enamored with, was of virtually no significance to me.

So I have nothing disparaging to say about the 458, but for me the 488 reins supreme. The best advice is follow your heart and buy what you love. Everything else is just noise!

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I find the latter extremely necessary - especially if you value the truth. Being overly polite or politically correct is the scourge of honest feedback and real world helpful information these days. Everyone is so scared that they might offend Ferrari and not get their Pista allocation or F8 allocation, that there has developed this culture of tippy-toeing around reality when it comes to simply stating the truth about what you get for your $300K.

You see this all the time with reviewers on YouTube lately. You can tell they want to say "this car isn't as good as the last" or really speak their minds, but few do because they are all worried they might not get an invite to the next press event or test drive. The result is they provide candy coated opinions in an effort to protect their asses over just telling it like it really is. Most of their reviews can't be trusted any longer, as far as I'm concerned.

It's the same situation in business and corporate America. If you want to really do yourself a disservice, just go assemble a board of directors or form a committee. You'll just end up with a group of yes men who waste your time and usually don't have the balls to levy any real opinions about anything. Unless the SEC starts talking about putting board members in prison or holding them personally accountable financially, you'll go a very long way before finding any board member that will give a real opinion should it risk them being replaced on the board. Didn't we all just witness this first hand with Tesla's board and Elon Musk? That was rubber-stamp city until things went bad legally. Same with a lot of things in life. Honest views on cars is no different. Salesmen know which cars are crap and which are good, but when providing information it's usually always slanted towards making a sale, not being brutally honest.

Myself, I'll always take the blunt sledgehammer over this softer approach where everyone is so worried about offending anyone.

I recently had to explain this very concept to my girlfriend. Usually she dresses super sexy at all times, but once in a while she will come out in high heels or outfits asking me what I think or does this match or does this or that look good. If something doesn't work, I'll usually just say, "those shoes look like ****" or "nope..." or "that outfit looks good if we are trying to blend in at Disneyland, but maybe not so much for dinner tonight".

Oh man... she used to get super upset at me until I finally said, "if you don't want an honest answer, stop asking me for my feedback on your outfits; if all you want is a "yes" stamped on everything, then I'm just wasting my time being honest about how something looks". I told her if all I ever say is "it looks great" - when really it doesn't - then not only does it dilute the value of my feedback, but in the long run she can't really ever trust anything I tell her - either way. I think I told her if she wanted someone who always just said "yes dear" to everything, then pack up and go find him, because I'm not that type of man.

Once I explained that if I'm brutally honest with her - good, bad or otherwise - then that allows her to place a lot of value on my opinions, especially when something she's wearing really does look fantastic. Once she understood that, then she came to really value my feedback and judgement on topics and knew she could trust it on both sides of the coin. In the long run it helps everyone a lot more: she doesn't waste money on ugly clothes and I always have a girlfriend that's smiling and looking top notch.

Providing your opinion on shoes, cars, business - it's all the same. If you want to end up with mediocrity, be polite. If you want something amazing, then be honest when it is amazing and also when it is not.

Yes, I tend to be a fairly harsh and outspoken critic of the 488, this is true - and that's because in my view it's not a very enjoyable Ferrari to drive. But by the same token, when something is amazing, such as the 458 or 360 or 812 or whatever the case may be - or even the Lusso - then I say it and hopefully my words carry more weight than people who just go around blowing warm soft air up everyone's asses.

Honest feedback helps everyone, believe me...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I really don't understand why some prefer an underpowered 458 to a 488 - and the 9,000 rpm screaming seems to me a desperate way to get attention and compensate for the lack of power.
    But I don't feel the need to claim the 458 is crap because it's probably not, it's just that with my personal taste I prefer the 488 (and by far).

Shadowfax and Viperjoe like this.
  20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    As a friend told me once, "Ray, if everyone thought like you did, there would only be Titanium Ferraris with black interiors"

haha :)

To each their own

Ray

nero corsa and Ash Patel like this.
  21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    yeah, wouldn't want a 9000 RPM screaming motor behind me... how silly; what was I thinking buying a Ferrari

Ray

saraojo and DMantooth like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I cannot understand why anyone would prefer the 488 over the 458 unless they want a gt cruiser vs an epic event. Which is fine I guess, to each their own.

The 488 did absolutely nothing for me.

tekaefixe and RayJohns like this.
  23. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Maybe some people like to go faster than you do. Not everyone calls slower "epic". :)

MANDALAY and LVP488 like this.
  24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This is true, and hence why some love the 720s and 911TTS. IMO both are better than a 488 for different reasons.

25. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    oh god not again.

Shadowfax, jyupitt, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.