Euro 7 emissions equal death of V12 ?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Euro 7 emissions equal death of V12 ??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F2003-GA, Apr 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Europe won't be happy until everyone is riding horses again.

911&F430, jpalmito, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There is no other available power source for planes that is, as light, as powerful, as long lasting as the high bypass axial-flow turbine Jet.

Boomhauer, F2003-GA and Texas Forever like this.
  3. babgh

babgh Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    If v12 is dead can ferrari make an f1 derived v10 for a production car or at least for laferrari successor?

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's so easy to solve this. Just limit the number of v12 engines made to 20,000 world wide and have the manufacturer bid for a license. 20,000 engines is nothing in the world wide market of ICE

You don't damage small car makers and you don't damage the environment while giving consumers choice and exclusivity

That's why I'm not a politician. Too practical.

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Still does not mean that planes should not be subject to some form of emissions regulation. My guess is one plane per year pollutes equal to all 12 cylinder cars manufactures ofer a 5 year period.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A single 747 burns 10-11 tonnes of fuel per hour.
    My V12 burns 19 pounds per hour on interstates.

22000 pounds/747/hr
    19 pounds/V12/hr
    1157 V12s = 1 747

A 747 spends about 1/2 of its lifetime in the air
    A typical V12 spends about 3% of its lifetime on the road.

So it takes about 38,596 V12s to emit the same as one single 747.

A new 747 leaves the assembly line about once a week.

Thus it would take 2,007,017 V12s/year to equal the emissions of just the 747s--which consume less than 1/3rd of the airplane fuel load.

One could simply remove all emission controls on the V12s and not damage the overall emissions, too; as they are too small a fraction of the fleet mix.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's a scam because the lower amounts of CO2 from E85 are primarily due to the fact that less energy is produced per gallon. I could also lower CO2 emissions by 30% in my Ferrari if I drove it 30% less. Some sources say production of E85 is a plus for the environment, because plants offset the CO2 produced by emissions... while the Congressional Budget Office seems to differ on this.

Beyond that... as you mentioned worldwide food needs in the future: without getting all P&R, I'll just note the lunacy of literally burning food in lieu of petroleum.

The laws of thermodynamics always wins. E85 is not a miracle fuel.

8. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Excellent point. Consider that the population of our country, the United States, in 1960 was approx. 179 million. And it took from the discovery of North America what? 350 years earlier +/-, to reach that number. Now, just 59 years later, the U.S. population has almost doubled to approx. 329 million. And that's just in the U.S.! Just an observation...

F456M likes this.
  9. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz

Also follow the money trail. To the corn lobby, Archer Daniels midland, etc. If it weren't for subsidies at the taxpayers expense, there probably be no ethanol. It's a scam and always has been.

thorn and willrace like this.
  10. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

#35 Metastable, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    I see....I never heard of it being sold under those pretences. I think Brazil wanted to be self reliant on automotive fuel (and have control over national fuel costs) so they started pushing for ethanol consumption. Of course, now Petrobras has found all sorts of deep water oil fields off the coast of Brazil.

11. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    i know from numerous layovers in Sao Paulo, that certain gas stations offer E85, Regular, Mid grade, Premium and CNG..can't remember if the price was comparable to U.S. prices or not. That is "normal" U.S. prices..not what California, D.C., and Washington State charge.

12. Metastable

I was talking back in the 80s.... even when I went back circa 2007.... most cars we’re sold with sensors that allowed you to drive with any gasoline/alcohol % combination. I have no idea what the gas prices are like these days.

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The CO2 emissions are circular in an ethanol based fuel system.

CO2 from ethanol based fuels rets recycled.
    Cars consume alcohol and emit CO2
    Plants consume CO2 and emit starches
    Yeasts consume starches and emit Ethanol.

Still, turning food into fuel is a stupid idea.

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    That is deceptive. We haven't been breeding like rabbits. We are actually reproducing less. The explosion comes from the politicians flooding us with immigrants as well as the invasion of ~20 million illegal aliens.

F456M likes this.
  15. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    FYI
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/303814654_third_generation_biofuels

"First generation biofuels are widely available because the production technologies are well developed. However, growth of
    the raw materials conflicts with food security, so that first- generation biofuels are not so promising. The second generation of
    biofuels will not compete directly with food but requires several energy intensive processes to produce them, and also increases
    land-use change, which reduces its environmental and economic feasibility. The production of third-generation biofuels avoids
    the issues met with first- and second- generation biofuels, namely food– fuel competition, land-use change, etc., and is thus
    considered a viable alternative energy resource. On all dimensions of sustainability (environmental, social and economical),
    a life cycle assessment approach is most relevant to avoid issues in problem shifting. The utilization of organic waste and
    carbon dioxide in flue gases for the production of biomass further increases the sustainability of third generation biofuels, as it
    minimizes greenhouse gas emissions and disposal problems."

16. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Absolutely agree. And, although there are a tremendous number of LEGAL immigrants who are model citizens, there are millions who aren't and are a liability to our country...but I feel pretty good that my tax dollars "help" them out :-(

17. Metastable

18. Metastable

F2003-GA likes this.
  19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
  20. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    And for the sound.

And perhaps exceeding the speed limit occassionaly.

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly my friend

911&F430 likes this.
  22. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    When did CO2 become a treath? Trees consume CO2 to make oxygen. It is the first thing you learn in elementary school.
    *The photosythesis*

911&F430 likes this.
  23. JMJ

JMJ Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey J
  24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003