MONDIAL OIL CHANGE | FerrariChat

MONDIAL OIL CHANGE

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ddiggler, May 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    Hello everyone. I am confused. Went to change the only on my 86 Mondial today. Warmed up the engine for 10 to 15 minutes. Pulled plug and let drain for 15 minutes. Added about 7 1/2 quarts of oil and then checked. It appeared to be way over full. Removed drain plug and oil barely dribbled out. Looked like it was already drained. Checked dipstick again and doesn't appear that the level had changed. Still overfilled Where is the 7 1/2 quarts that I put in plus the oil that was in it. The oil that was initially drained was only about 4 1/2 quarts (?).

2. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Which oil were you changing? Which drain plug did you pull?

3. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    The engine oil. Plug on the bottom of the pan nearest the rear.

4. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    According to the manual it was the engine oil plug. Could it have been the gearbox oil plug?

5. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Dude, that's your gear box oil...

6. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Pls triple check what you are doing. I always do. The two oil reservoirs are right next to each other underneath the car.

Don't start it!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    Good to know. Suppose Id better get some gearbox oil now. Do you have a personal preference? Where is the engine oil plug? The manual shows a picture of the plug unless im blind, which very well could be. I don't see another plug.

8. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    The plug that has "OLIO MOTORE" next to it (MOTOR OIL)

9. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    According to the picture in the manual that is the plug I pulled. Allen head plug. The only other plug I see is a 17mm hex bolt plug that goes in side ways.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    And that my friend, is the fill port for the gear box which you drained. That drain plug should say Cambio Olio (gear oil). From there, look 10 inches toward the front of the car, you will see another plug in a smaller oil pan. That is your engine oil. You need to drain all that out and add 8 quarts of oil at the top of the engine. Then add 4 quarts of gear box oil to the sideway plug you identified earlier.

11. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    Feeling pretty bright about now. Did find the engine oil drain plug. It is towards the front of the gearbox drain but is not on the bottom going up into the pan. The is a circular drop on the pan with a 17mm plug going in sideways. Looks nothing like what the manual shows. It did say motor oil. The plug on the side of the crankcase facing the muffler is were I fill it just till it overflows. Is that correct?

12. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    I want to thank everyone for the quick and very helpful responses. Done plenty of oil changes on my domestic cars. I suppose a lift would of made things easier. Another good excuse to plead to the wife about for needing a lift. Car lift that is.

13. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    What mondial do you have ? mondial t I suppose or mondial 3.2 ?
    3.2 has the plug at the underside,...
    mondial t on the front of the engine I believe...
    Guido

14. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    86 3.2 It is underneath but the cast in the pan drops down and the plug goes in sideways. It is in the center of the pan though.

theunissenguido likes this.
  15. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    Now I am trying to find the gearbox oil fill tube. There is a diagram in the technical section showing to drain both gearbox plugs and to fill via the filler tube. Don't see where to fill it through from up top.

16. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    Hang in there...and Kudos for giving a go, lad. More than a lot of folks would do. We all learn some things the hard way.

17. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    I appreciate that. Any insight on the filler plug for the gearbox. Cant tell but it feels like an allen head. Size?

18. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Use the Search function. Lots of good write up with pictures on gearbox oil change....

19. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
  20. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Doug, you can fill your gearbox trough the hole on the transmission house.And remove the filler bold on the back side, so once oil is coming out there, your level is ok.
    Guido

21. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  22. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    Thank you all very much. I was telling my wife how impressed I am with everyone on this forum sharing their knowledge and the quick responses. Thank you again. Doug.

ronfrohock likes this.
  23. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    You're welcome Doug...we are just 1 big happy family....and I whas just lying lazy on the Tartaruga beach (Buzios/RJ) doing nothing !
    Guido

ronfrohock likes this.
  24. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #24 moysiuan, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    To help you with the transmission oil change...there are actually two sumps, the main one under the car, and one on the transmission case.

You drain the fluid from the "main sump" pan as you are familiar with, but also there is a second drain plug at the bottom of the "transmission case sump", the same case where you fill the transmission per the photo provided by theunissenguido. The top plug is I believe a 12mm allen fitting. The bottom drain plug on this "case sump" is a 19mm bolt. The top plug can be tight, put some antiseize on it when you replace it.

To fill (you first put the 19mm bolt back in the case sump and the allen bolt from the main sump drain) you get a small funnel and attach about 1 foot of 1/2 inch hose to it, and from within the engine bay area, put the hose end into the the top hole of the transmission case, and fill (slowly, it takes a while for the fluid to wind its way through both sumps) till it drips out the rear allen plug which you removed per the second theusnissenguido photo. The manual indicates a different two step fill procedure, but when you fill from the top of the transmission case sump like this, it interconnects with the main sump, and the level is all correct in both sumps when it drips out of the rear hole (make sure your car is level, you will have the left rear wheel off to get access to the case sump and fill plug so you may need to lower the jack a bit to get to level). Hope you can follow this, there are lots of plugs going on here! Also, use new copper washers for all the plugs, there are two sizes needed I recall.

I and others swear by Redline products, the MTL is my choice, others use the 75w90NS (make sure you use the NS version, not the plain 75w90). The MTL is a lighter grade than factory spec so some people get uptight about that, but it gives the better shift.