Yonge-Steeles Motors | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Yonge-Steeles Motors

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ///R, Aug 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Someone reminded me that the person who ran the car events at Christies Conservation area for a couple of years was Gary Magwood. There were also bikes at the event to. One Ducati guy there was Ted Wyslaw who gave one of his bikes to Steve for that day. It was a very popular event!

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

Marcel Massini

3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    57701 was sold 20 May 2007 at the RM auction in Maranello to an Englishman.
    Later sold again in October 2014 in the UK.

Marcel Massini

Peter likes this.
  4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thank you for the update Marcel on 57701 here!

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Good info. Thank you.

6. Animo Felonico

Jul 20, 2005
    When I was about 10 years old I saw my first 288 GTO in the showroom at Gentry Lane on Eglinton East at Warden Ave. I immediately fell super hard in love with that car. I will never forget that experience. To this day that is still my all-time favourite car.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  8. Soulman

Soulman Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gary Kit
    Hi, just thought I'd correct your spelling. Ted was a friend of mine and a client. His last name was spelled "Woyslaw" ((his real first name was Tadeusz). He is sadly missed. A car/motorcycle enthusiast to his last breath. Luigi Bruzzio was also a friend. He had long suffered with a heart problem that went ignored, I know the F40 story and that's not what killed him. He died at the age of 46 on his showroom floor on Dupont St. He was a class guy who is also missed.

Peter likes this.
  9. maxflynn

maxflynn Karting

Feb 9, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    David
    Gentry received the first F40. I was present the night it was delivered. Luigi’s fatal heart attack came after his franchise was revoked if memory serves. Major politics that situ.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. maxflynn

maxflynn Karting

Feb 9, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    David
    BTW, I believe Gentry was the first “Authorised” Ferrari dealer, versus being an importer. Luigi partnered with a fellow named Popovich, John I believe, he had died in the early eighties I believe, before the dealership moved to it’s final location. Right next door is Dupont collision, which was Luigi’s. Luigi and Remo were both mechanics at Yonge Steeles Motors if memory serves.

11. maxflynn

maxflynn Karting

Feb 9, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    David
    This is a photo of Daytona’s original location, also on Dupont. That Dino still lives in Toronto

12. maxflynn

maxflynn Karting

Feb 9, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    David
  13. AndruetBiche

AndruetBiche Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2006
    That looks like my old 246 GTS #08106
    C

14. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Great history!

of2worlds likes this.
  15. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I enjoyed reading this thread...

It may be somewhat off-topic, but what spurred me to post is I was looking up some S/N info recently and went through the Hillary Raab S/N book and of course, I've highlighted nearly all of the indicated, Canadian-delivered Ferraris.

One thing that has always bothered me, is I can't find out where George Woolley was located. Info I've come across online is he was either in Montreal, or Toronto... Or maybe both? I'm certainly biased in knowing that Luigi Della Grotta sold Ferraris in Montreal since at least 1965 (thereabouts). I posted in the Luigi Della Grotta thread all of his business addresses searching the Lovell's Directories (online historical telephone directory resource site), although I never considered to look for Woolley back then (as I was under the impression he was in Toronto and started after LDG). Funny, but LDG's name is mentioned numerous times in the Raab book but always located in USA!

What is the hierarchy and timeline of ALL Canadian Ferrari dealers, generally speaking?

No mention of any Canadian West Coast deliveries in the Raab book which I find surprising because certainly the first would've been Clarke Simpkins in Vancouver. He was selling foreign cars since the '50s, but I'm not sure when he started to sell Ferraris though. My friend Gio Colletta primarily sold Alfas and Renaults but also moved some Ferraris and Lambos too. Gio was in business (from what I gathered in conversations with him) late '60s/early '70s into the late '80s/'90s. Gio's mechanic would eventually go on to start Weissach after Gio closed up shop.

SWB and bernardo66 like this.
  16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Woolley was in Montreal.

Marcel Massini

bernardo66 and Peter like this.
  17. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I will add I wrote my post late that night and didn't realise that Simpkins is mentioned in the book in many instances...

If Woolley was in Montreal, what would the timeframe be and would you happen to have his address(es)?

bernardo66 likes this.
  18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Peter,

Indeed, this is a great thread.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to start another thread on the items you mention, as it might get more people to add to this specific info?

Cheers,

Sam

bernardo66 likes this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    George Wooley started in Quebec in 1961. He was not an official dealer but rather got his cars from Chinetti. Then later Luigi came along and George operated out of Ottawa. I don't have a date noted for the change.
    Copy of George Wooley ad while in Quebec 1961 with certain liberties and the official logo! >

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bernardo66 likes this.
  20. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Great find. I had no idea.
    I always thought that the handful of pre-Luigi Ferrari`s were sold via a gent by the familly name of Marandola who owned Fiat dealership in Montreal.

21. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    This is starting to tun into the "Canadian Ferrari Dealers History" thread. :D

of2worlds likes this.
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Wow those are excellent! The black Boxer in the second picture left side row I think belonged to Ron Goldsack. The driver in the 328 was David Irvine. On the right side of the showroom were large glass doors that could be slid open to move cars in and out of the showroom. The black Mondial cabriolet on the right in the last picture looks like the car they took to Luigi's funeral.
    Thank you for sharing these images.

bernardo66 likes this.
  23. ///R

///R Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    I guess you found my Flickr account :) I was about to come and post them here.

Young Steeles was the first official importer in Canada. Clarke Simpkins and Luigi Ferrari followed soon thereafter. O'Donnell-Mackie in Toronto was almost a Ferrari dealer before Young Steeles in the late 60s but they decided to sell Rolls Royces and Jaguars instead. They were the former distributors for Studebaker and Auburn-Cord-Deusenburg.

I have lots of ads for the Canadian Ferrari dealers. There was a dealer in Edmonton, Carriage Lane Motor Products, that was also an official Ferrari dealer.

bernardo66 and of2worlds like this.
  24. tgc5874

tgc5874 Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Canada
    i took those photos for gentry for a dupont registry ad ,and have the ferrari service sign from the service reception at yonge steeles motors from the 70s
    Image Unavailable, Please Login