328 Front Foglight Lenses | FerrariChat

328 Front Foglight Lenses

Discussion in '308/328' started by marklintott, Apr 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    Some may remember I made replacement glass lenses for the 328 a few years ago. Some of you purchased replacements from me for which I was very grateful.

Anyway my original glass supplier went out of business and I eventually sold the lot - even the less than perfect ones. I've come across another supplier now and I'm thinking of making some more if there's sufficient interest.

The last time I made these they worked out at US$850 per pair (left and right) and although I don't know yet what a new run will cost I am aiming to have them available for certainly NO MORE than the last ones.

Question is is there any interest out there if I were to go ahead?

FYI the last thread describing the whole process is here...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/328-fog-driving-lights.258020/

Thanks

Mark

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Baurice

Baurice Rookie

Sep 18, 2008
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Mark
    Your post is a pleasant surprise! I saw your previous post whilst looking for options to replace one of mine and had just been about to give up!!

Yes I’d be in for a pair if you go ahead.

Cheers for now
    Andrew, NZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Yes, I am in

Bertrand

4. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    I may be in for a pair, but not sure at $850. I will monitor your thread/progress and commit or decline once you have better idea of pricing. I know you need committed #s for firm pricing, but 850 would be out of my ability at the moment.

5. marklintott

Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    Bertrand and Andrew - thanks for the response and noted. David also and of course I'll keep all updated on the cost. My aim is to get them out at a lower cost than the original run I did but we'll see.

Thanks
    Mark

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Be aware that Carello is litigate the producers of the (for them counterfeit) lenses when the name is stamped into the glass. A producer in Holland of plastic lenses allready received a letter from Carello's lawyers.
    Any chance you can make mondial 3.2 or mondial t lenses ? Just open a thread at mondial site.
    Guido

7. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    I would also be interested. I'd probably need to eat tinned tuna multi-packs for a few weeks considering the price, but I could make it.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I'm not sure that the glass lenses of our "euro" cars were the same than the lenses of US cars. Certainly, the Carello number (Left 41729L / right 41730R) is different from the US part number. Might be the reflecting stripes in the glass (?). I have one original Left lens as a spare.
    Rgds

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would probably be up for a set to keep on hand as spares.

I have plastic film over the originals as a preventative measure, but wouldn’t mind having replacements on hand if I run into an extra aggressive chunk of gravel.

10. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I don't know but both are LHD. If there is variance that should be not substancial.

I will take picture of my Euro ( French ) lenses and try to compare with US one. We will see ...

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Frankly, I have no clue about the differences, Bertrand, if any? U S cars have 41770 / 41754 I believe.
    Rgds

12. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I have 41729 on driver side lense and 41770 on passager side. I don't know if they were changed since 1986 but both are "Yellow" as all French car

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I'm 99% sure I have 41729 and 41730 on both cars. Will check tomorrow, just to be 100% sure; I'll keep you posted.

Rgds

14. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Differences have to do with local laws. Some countries using those lights as flashers, others as front fog lights and others also as extra high beam.
    So depending on what country original delivery whas have different lenses.
    Some pods have an extra metal shielding plate in front of the bulb others dont.
    Guido

15. marklintott

Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    Just did some checking back and in my records I have:
    Euro cars
    41730 RHS
    41729 LHS
    USA cars
    41754 RHS
    41770 LHS

Mondial USA
    41769 RHS
    (Don't have the LHS Mondial number)

The molds I have are both from a USA model 328 with numbers 41754 and 41770. I don't suppose there's a significant difference between these and Euro versions and for the amount of time these are used I would imagine there is no practical difference. Can't answer for the concours police of course...!

As far as I know the Mondial lenses are slightly different in that they are a few millimeters deeper - front to back. I was never able to determine if this was a difference in the housing or a difference in the glass part though.

If Carello have finally woken up and may take an interest in this as Guido suggested then I guess I may have to make a re-spelling of the name.....but I'm reluctant to mess with it honestly.

Met a glass manufacturer this morning who will try to source a factory who can still pour these molds - unfortunately these days they are all done by machine and use an entirely different mold/set up. If this is the case then its not going to happen I think as the cost will go way way high to cover new molds etc.

If anyone is interested here's a pic of the RH mold - all cast iron and stainless steel and weighs about the same as the engine from my MG Midget!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Mark,

As far as I remember (can't find my notes again...) the differences between US (41754 / 41770) and Euro glasses (41729 / 41730) have something to do with the number of vertical "grooves" in the glass and the directivity of light (??). Honestly, I would imagine that, as far as rersult is considered, it is marginal at best...Can't speak about the concours rules.

Rgds

17. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I can confirm that all houses are the same as for TR, 328 and mondial....number on the back : 11.250.748
    Only upper and lower lenses are different.
    Guido

18. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    And yes you could respel the name evoiding problems with Carello...like Corella or Cerallo or something easy to do. And I have to rectivy the number on the housing...its 260 instead of 250...wasnt awake when looking :cool:
    Guido

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Bertrand,

Checked this afternoon on both cars: both (GTB, imported in France originally by Pozzi; GTS in Germany originally) have 41729 driver's side; 41730 passenger's side.
    Rgds

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    TR, Mondial and 328 are different fog light lenses. The widths are different at the very least. I put film on them to protect from rocks and each requires a different pattern.

21. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #21 theunissenguido, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Plastic housings are the same. Upper glass and lower glas lenses widths are different. You find same product number on the back of TR, 328 and mondial housings
    Guido
    Image Unavailable, Please Login This is mondial, Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login TR has same product number + D on the housing on the back.
    See pictures in this ad for TR :
    https://www.2dehands.be/auto-onderdelen-accessoires/auto-onderdelen/ferrari/ferrari-328-328-gts-testarossa-nos-mist-knipperlicht-523791608.html
    And an other for mondial same side :
    https://www.2dehands.be/auto-onderdelen-accessoires/auto-onderdelen/ferrari/rechts-mistlamp-voor-ferrari-mondial-501301288.html
    The other side has the same product number + S.
    Guido

Albert-LP likes this.
  22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I wouldn't be that surprised if "D" means "destra" (= right) and "S" "sinistra" (= left)

theunissenguido and Albert-LP like this.
  23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I believe the numbers, whatever they are, are the same but with different sized lenses the housings need to be different sizes.

24. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Its the front of lenses that makes those differences. The bases (opening at back side) of each lens that makes contact with plastic housing should be the same for the 3 models.It makes no sense plastic housings with same numbers not being the same (not in Europe anyway) with all those DIN and others specifications.
    Guido

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I own both TR and 328. Here is a turn signal lenes from each. You still going to tell me they fit the same housing?

Not without a saw and some glue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login