Tesla Model 3 - Make or Break ?? | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Tesla Model 3 - Make or Break ??

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F2003-GA, Feb 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    You're hilarious

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Have people provided a net benefit to the Florida Everglades? They've drained it over the past 100+ years to build suburbs and farms while simultaneously dumping sewage from those communities along with phosphorus from farming into it. Oh and also introduced non-native species like unwanted pet pythons and anacondas. Net positive, amirite?

3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    So you go from the suburbs to everglades ?? Anyways some of us are doing just fine living in the suburbs and nature feels comfortable to hangout my backyard :cool:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    ^that's pretty cool. Hopefully it hangs around the area so you can see it frequently. We had a bald eagle nest next to our neighborhood in Orlando when I was a kid and it was cool watching them fly around.

I don't know what the life cycle of a Tesla will be, but I can't imagine the car will last as long as a conventional car. As mentioned earlier, manufacturing a car (regardless of type) is very resource intensive. For those that cycle through a car every 3 years (i.e. lease), it is much much worse than someone that keeps their Ferrari or whatever else for 30+ years.

F2003-GA likes this.
  5. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Intrinsically, why should a Tesla not last as long as an ICE car? (aside from battery pack replacement on some 6-10 year cycle) The electric car is actually much simpler mechanically, so assuming equally good materials and manufacturing processes, electric and ICE should last equally.....

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Tesla owners online have commented they plan on dumping the car and getting a new one when the battery needs replacement. It's treating the car as a throwaway/obsolete item like modern consumer electronics (cell phone being a big culprit when it comes to waste). That's regardless of how well the rest of the car holds up.

For those that do decide to change out the battery (which itself is a huge thing compared to normal car maintenance), expect brakes and suspension needing more frequent replacement than a normal sized car. That's due to Teslas weighing more because of the battery. Telsas go through tires pretty quickly because of that as well.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Bankruptcy

technom3 likes this.
  9. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Wha?!?! I see far more Tesla owners talking about keeping the car forever rather than the opposite. Tesla brakes last for a ridiculously long time since you basically never use them. The suspension is sized for the weight of the car and will last just as long as any other suspension that is properly sized. In addition suspensions tend to fail because the seals go due to environmental factors, not wear.

6-10 years for a battery replacement is also crazy. I've got 5 years on my Tesla and the battery has lost 3% of its capacity. The loss in capacity is not linear either and slows down over time. Even if it was linear 20 years down the road the battery would still be quite usable. Finally when the battery does reach its end of life in a car, it will still have a significant value in stationary storage and won't just be scrapped.

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro