Side shields... | FerrariChat

Side shields...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by syata, Mar 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I noticed a lot of Mondials have the Shields on the front quarter panels. My 1988 Mondial CAB also had them when I purchased the cat a few years ago.

Did the shields come with the car, was this an option or did the owners put them on?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I don't think it was a factory option. OEM Ferrari shields are usually metal and set into the wings (quarter panels) but I'm happy to be told otherwise.

paulchua likes this.
  3. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    My car has rubbery ones and I saw another car with them. They told me it was a euro option but I read and hear mixed claims.

paulchua likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Standard on GTO and F40. First car offered as an option was 355. Never on Mondial.

sixcarbs and paulchua like this.
  5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #5 Wade, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    paulchua likes this.
  6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    paulchua likes this.
  7. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Manda racing and paulchua like this.
  8. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Interesting that quite a few of owners put the schied on the front fenders and not keeping it original. Since I got my Mondial with the shields as well and I will not remove them risking damaging the paint I will be one of them.
    Thank you

Il Steeg, Manda racing and paulchua like this.
  9. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    For the purist, shields are for competition cars, not street cars.

10. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    ???? So the Fcars that come with the shields from the factory are all competition cars and not street cars???

11. Jean-Pierre Marchand

BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Obviously they are for the non-purists. What's so hard to understand?

Manda racing likes this.
  12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I think this version was on the early racing Ferrari's, so it would be the purist choice, ideally hand painted for true authenticity.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Steeg and paulchua like this.
  13. Jean-Pierre Marchand

BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Il Steeg and paulchua like this.
  14. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    paulchua likes this.
  15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hopefully you didn't come here to troll... ;)

If the car came with shields from the Factory then obviously Ferrari doesn't give a damn about Purists. :D

16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Shields were originally for competition cars. However Ferrari have changed that simply by offering them as an option on road cars. My 360 has the OEM shields too.
    Cloverleaf badge on Alfa Romeos represented a similar thing. They now offer them from the factory.

paulchua likes this.
  17. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Thank you .

I just noticed quite a few Mondials have the shields, to include mine when I bought it. I was not sure if this was an option at the time or coincidence that many Mondial owners chose to add the shield. Also the photo I saw the shield all looked to be same in size...another coincidence.

And yes, I know that Ferrari race cars had the shield painted on the fenders which you did not see on the street cars at the time.

Thank you all again for clarifying this.

paulchua likes this.
  18. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    paulchua likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    To me side shields are one of those things that is completely up to the individual. Similar to chrome or matte finish. If you like em - add em, if not - remove them. The previous owner of my car had some cheap magnetic ones on mine. They look fine, but I preferred the non-shield look so I took em off. On some Ferrari cars I would add them on others I would not. Just personal opinion.

20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I understand the first sheilds indented into the fenders in a non-competition model was the 1994 348 GTC special edition. Between 1994-1998 it appears some cars had sheilds installed at the factory, but were not widely available. Probably a few of the 355's and 550's started to have them done as custom orders. In 1998, Ferrari got its custom order business formalized, and all Ferrari's had the indented sheilds as an option, and it was very popular, and lucrative for the factory.

With the sheild trend getting traction in the 90's, a fellow made some sheilds that were really high quality metal cloisonne type items, that stuck on with 3m tape, called Yoshisheilds. I think he stopped making them some time ago, but for a period of time it seemed popular to put them on Mondial's, 308's, etc. even though none of the 80's road cars had them in period. The mid and late 1980's 288GTO, F40 rspectively (and later F50) all had the sheilds as standard items, and although not race series cars were certainly channeling the track ethos at the time. So that probably encouraged the 308/328 guys when the cars were becoming simply used cars to keep them "up to date" and slap on some stickers. As we move into the current era, the 308/328/Mondial are now emerging as classics in their own right, and the classic theme usually prizes originality as a way of preserving the cars authentic history. So the stickers and shields tend to be getting taken off. The older high quality Yoshisheilds are kind of iconic in their own way, and I would leave them on and they are I think irreplacable at this point. If you have some plastic resin or metal ones where the quality is not up to a factory finish item, I would probably take them off, and go for the cleaner originality theme.

For those brave souls with a sense of humour, these seem to be getting some traction these days...there is something inherently fun about not being too serious with all this!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

syata and Jean-Pierre Marchand like this.
  21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No, the 288 GTO was first street car in 1985 followed by the F40 in 1989. From 355 and newer they were widely available, it was an extra cost option.

22. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Ha! I love these. I'm going to look for a tshirt or ball cap with this logo on it. ;)

2cam

Jean-Pierre Marchand likes this.
  23. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed