Plater for cadmium in CT or local | FerrariChat

Plater for cadmium in CT or local

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by dwhite, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Riped out the Boxers suspension to have it cad plated. Have everything prepped for plating, but won't send it out in the mail as my insurance co. will not cover it if a box goes lost and the pieces are insanly costly to replace.

Have used a place in Erie, PA in the past, but it's 450 miles away and have been looking for someone closer.

Has anyone ever heard of these guys. https://www.newenglandchrome.com or suggest someone nearby.

A thanks to Newman on confirmation of plating colors and some other questions.

2. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I have used Miller and Sons for industrial plating for many years with great success.
    Family owned and friendly, very knowledgeable.

They are located in Belleville, NJ.
    http://www.millerplatingnj.com/

staatsof likes this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just called them I need some parts nickel plated, this is what they said
    "We don't do any car parts"

Errr, ok I assumed metal was metal but I guess not.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Many platers only want to do production parts, newly made. Dealing with used car parts is low volume and oily / rusty parts. Some just don't want anything to do with that.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 Ferrarium, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    That was my first guess too but it makes no sense since they have to blast/strip/clean parts first anyhow, a media blaster does not care if the surface is rust.
    I called a second place and they said the same thing. 'no car parts".
    So I asked clarifying question of why, they said they plating is for electrical and the coating is very thin and wont stand up to use. Likely most do electrical plating needs not mechanical plating needs.
    I need to find a chrome platter as in exhaust and bumpers that does nickel. I think there is 1 in Linden and 1 in Asbury park I need to check.

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Actually, Eric - they do. They don't want the media contaminated.

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Just have it powder coated or painted. I did home powder coating on some Ferrari parts, using 75%clear/25% gold, and it came out great... very translucent...

Definitely "good enough" unless you are doing concourse...

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Not a good way to go. Parts that are plated are done so for a reason. Powder coat or paint adds much more coating thickness than plating.

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I called the guys dwhite posted -> https://www.newenglandchrome.com
    They do it, I definitely want some parts nickel plated, I thought if your doing concourse it should be oem not customized I thought.
    Anyhow I would powdercoat control arms and what not but some bits I want thick satin nickel finish. The metallic powder coats are fine I have used them on motorcycle parts and they look good including chrome looks quite fine actually... but Nickel is a different thing...

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    CAD plating is near extinct due to regulations...

Yellow Zinc looks nice...for a VERY short time. Get salt on it once and it will look horrible from then on...

I had a bunch of parts zinc plated, on a car I drive. Couple years later the bits looked 20 years old...

11. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Manco Plating Inc in Newark will do small car parts. I've used them plenty of times but no chrome. They suggested Mara plating also in Newark. Not cheap.

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Absolutely. I had everything cad plated in 1988 on my Bora 40K miles and a lot of time later it's still perfecto! It's the bomb!

I doubt you can find real cad though.