1st Real Drive in My Testarossa: Impressions | FerrariChat

1st Real Drive in My Testarossa: Impressions

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Anymac, Feb 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    #1 Anymac, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    So today I finally fully unwrapped and indulged my new 1990 testarossa so to speak. That is I finally took it for real drive.

My first impression is that it is a very hairy chested manly car. Ironically when visually compared to its main contemporary the Countach I always considered it somewhat soft looking. All of the controls are uber robust and significant. Build quality seems exceptionally high as well it should. The clichéd milled from a solid block comes to mind. One thing I noticed is that sometimes when I engage the clutch while coming to a stop and the revs drop they would go up and down a bit from about 500 RPM to about 1300 RPM. After driving a while it seems to do this a little bit less but still does it. It doesn’t drop so low it cuts off occasionally any more so that’s good. Perhaps the computer is re-learning?

Steering & Handling
    A couple of my old NSX’s did not have power steering as well as a Lotus Elise. But this feels quite harder to turn perhaps due to the slight tilt of the steering wheel and weight of the car. Challenging to maneuver at low speeds not withstanding, I loved the feedback coming through wheel and how confidently it’s absorbed bumps even mid-turn. The high profile tires no doubt playing a significant role here. As wide as the rear is I could tell it can very easily switch into oversteer - lift throttle oversteer specifically.

Rowing
    The switchgear. Where to begin with the switchgear. I can already see this becoming a love-hate relationship. Which is not necessarily a bad thing as it definitely keeps it interesting! I absolutely love how solid it feels. There is ZERO flex/slack when rowing through the gears no matter the resistance and required pressure. The throws are perfect, not too long and not too short. The emanating clink clink sound delivers audible confirmation of the physical sensation. Now for the bad. The engagement or lack thereof can occasionally be irritating. Although I did notice it substantially loosen up after quite a bit of driving. More deliberate effort is what I was kinda looking for coming from an effortless uber perfect modern exotic that is the Lamborghini Huracan.

Sound
    I’m sure all of you know what I’m about to say. The sound was a bit underwhelming especially coming from the Huracan with Fabspeed exhaust. At the same time I do not expect a car like this which is ultimately a very sporty GT to sound quite like that. I would of course like a bit more noise however. While out I stopped at my local high-end muffler shop to inquire about fitting a custom X or straight pipe set up. The cost would be upwards of 2K and I have no idea how it would sound or perform. So now I am looking at X pipe setups, muffler delete and various exhaust systems.

Overall
    I am very pleased with this car. It feels quite special and of course is beautiful to behold. It is challenging and peculiar to drive in some ways. It is also solid and oozes quality - the solid closing of the door, the lack of rattles as I go down the road to name a couple. I am looking forward to getting to know it better, hear more it’s voice and possibly put some +1 modular OEM or F40 style wheels on it to add just a sprinkle of edginess.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

With a proper exhaust it will sing better than anything u ever had I promise u this;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testarossa Sean and blkdiablo33 like this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No "re-learning" of anything occurs on a TR.

Not normal -- more a sign that your US TR KE-Jet air+injection system is not properly adjusted.

Agree completely that it gives a pretty darn manly driving experience ;) - enjoy!

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    typical sign for wrong air

Anymac likes this.
  5. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    What is wrong air? Is that air/fuel mixture?

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    yes
    the engine will get wrong air from somewhere. may be a broken vacuum hose or broken gasket?

best to test where it comes from ( but be very carefully ! ! ! )
    take some brake or carb cleaner in a spraybottle and spray a little to the intake manifolds, the adapters and the hoses. when you see that the rpm are changing you know how to go on. easiest way to find out. but not test when engine is hot. have a fire extinguisher beside you when doing what I said. I will benot resposible if your becausecar will catch fire. so only when you are an experienced technician or you know exactly what and how to do you may follow my instruction.

because you not filled out your profile nobody knows what kind of knowlege you have. so would be good to have a look here:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/what-do-you-think-about-filling-out-the-profile-and-introducing.567692/

Melvok likes this.
  7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Except by the owner. Such as the location and purpose of relays, the operating principles of KE Jetronic systems, climate control troubleshooting...

8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Remember you have a mechanical fuel injection not an electronic. The idle hunt never bothered me as you will sometimes pick your
    battles. The capristo I just put on mine with cat delete pipes sounds so good I just love to start it and listen to it. I like it better than the tubis
    I have had.

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Doesn't even have to be a flaw with any component -- can just be an imbalance in how the physical adjustments controlling how air enters the two banks are set (i.e., both banks need to be drawing in equal amounts of air, the amount of air entering each bank at idle via the throttle plate opening or via the air bypass screw opening has a desired ratio, etc.). Another situation on KE-Jet systems is that there can be an electrical power failure, and then the Mechanic wrongly starts fiddling with all these physical adjustments without ever realizing that there is an electrical problem (unfortunately, via these adjustments, an electrically-dead KE-Jet system can run fairly well when warm as a K-Jet system when it is readjusted electrically-dead and warm).

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s a nice one;)

11. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Ironically, it hasn’t done it at all today. This is what makes me wonder if it is learning. Or if it is just happy to be driven more often! :)

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, no "learning" involved, but you can have something like an intermittent connection or something like the throttle microswitch adjustment on the boundary working or not working at idle -- and regular/more use is definitely a good thing for all the Bosch CIS systems.

turbo-joe likes this.
  13. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    #13 blkdiablo33, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    enjoy the car
    run a bottle oftechron chevron complete cleaner and full tank of chev 91 i do that for my tr and 430

14. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    will drive mine this week end looking forward to driving her been too long

15. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Better than a Huracan? Not going to happen.

Anymac likes this.
  16. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Not so sure it’s that cut and dry. Certainly stock for stock the Huracan likely sounds better to most people.

However properly uncorked it depends. If one values all our noise volume and a deeper sound the Huracan is it. But if one fancies and higher pitched more pristine F1 howl/wail (as I craved every time I heard a 12) then the TR would have the better sound.

meantestarossa and turbo-joe like this.
  17. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    My Huracan had the fabspeed and other than the power jump it was just slightly louder than the stock system. The 12
    in the Ferrari sounds better with the right exhaust. I don't care for the exhaust backfiring on the H car and there is plenty of it. A 10 does not sound as good as a 12 just different. Just my humble opinion.

18. jpanz

jpanz Karting

Sep 8, 2015
    Central Jersey Monroe
    Full Name:
    John
    If you go with an exhaust design from a custom shop can you please share pics and possibly a sound clip please.

19. Testarossa Sean

Testarossa Sean Karting

May 13, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yes, my “old neighbors” really loved the sound of my capristo too . The car comes to life and the way it was intended to be from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Of course it’s better than a huracan, like moss said.
    A 4K tubi isn’t cutting it, drop 10k on a kreissieg +importing feed and u will never go back to the lambo.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Get a kreissieg exhaust and come back - u will sell ur huracan;) it’s that good problem is that they are very rare. Plus all those modern car’s sound is so fake - all computer , not much coming from the driver. I’m too old fashioned for those;)

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Steves comments on the running and fuel injection are spot on. If you want a better sound I have experience with a lot of different configurations. Deleting the pre and main cats with a Tubi is too loud for my taste but has a good tone. As far as performance goes the best dyno numbers come from a factory muffler.

xplodee and meantestarossa like this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

Capristo claims a 10% increase with their muffler as opposed to factory. I know u have tons of experience but I’d be surprised if the Germans are lying. I do know many people do not believe it though.
    For me deleting the precats was better than the cats: first those precats all rend to get a bit messy with time, 2nd the cats off solution made a nasty smell to me.

meantestarossa likes this.
  24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Good friend is an engineer for one of the worlds most famous racing engine builders. A company name everyone here knows. He has a TR and has extensive experience with TR's on dynos. He said he has seen all of the well known exhausts run and factory muffler turns out highest numbers.

Moden era Ferrari mufflers are not designed by teenagers in a garage somewhere. Surprising as it may be they know a little about all this stuff.

The precat is a terrible design but the rest of the exhaust is well done.

Anymac and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    What a beauty !

Use this first season to learn your Testarossa, it is a bxxch :)

She may give you super moments, she also may let you down sometimes. The technique is of course now 30 years old …..

Before worrying about exhausts, drive here, learn here ! (I drove my 512TR Kmiles 10 per year)

Safe journies !