Tennis Elbow..?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tennis Elbow..??

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by msdesignltd, Sep 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thank you, Ron, I'm pretty "good" with my stretching/cardio/old man yoga routine - it's really just a tennis elbow injury (actually resulted from a paddling incident :rolleyes:) I'm focusing on right now. Enough folks got relief from the Todd Scott video that I want to try it!

The gyro ball is really cool concept of creating resistance, might need to look into those (vs thera bands and the like)

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

this is my issue as well. I think even holding a cell phone for any extended period further inflames the tennis elbow.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I have a serious case of this going on at least a year, and historically off/on for 30 years. I’m an active weight trainer and roll jiu-jitsu, and I’m 50, so I expect it.

I sit in my home office and leaning on my elbow aggravates it, as does my mattress believe it or not.

Like OP, I’m a skeptic, but the elbow compression sleeves have been a godsend. I wear them when I sleep and when I train, and whenever it bothers me.

Since I’ve had this a long time, I’m not sure it will go away, but I can control it, and that’s great.

4. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Dude’s forearms are huge!

5. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Almost 8 months here :( - was slowly getting better (doing the gyro ball, wearing a wrist brace, broom stick and wall stretch) and a couple days ago while visiting one of our kids my dog (on a leash - he's rarely on a leash) runs outside (she has two dogs and they are nuts together); I grab the leash, the dog keeps going and I bugger the elbow up all over again.

Had this soooo many times but it always went away in a week or so. Was suggested I try acupuncture and chiropractor, my daughter (a licensed massage therapist and manager of a new tech clinic) thinks it may be neck related.

Totally sux - and ski season is upon us!

rdefabri likes this.
  6. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    At least one F-Chatter suggested gripping something can aggravate it. I noticed when I use free weights, I tend to grip the bar / dumbbells HARD. I’ve tried loosening my grip (or open hand when possible) and that’s also helped a lot.

7. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    From what I hear - you just gotta leave it alone, light exercise LOTS of ice. IIRC correctly you hit the free weights pretty hard - I would think that will delay the healing process significantly. I even keep the effed up elbow arm on the "heart monitor grip" when on the elliptical and not on the machines swinging arms.

I know that so many folks are dealing w so many serious issues that make our silly elbows seem trite - but damn it, it sure hurts!