Annual Service | FerrariChat

Annual Service

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RAD1972, Dec 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAD1972

RAD1972 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard Devinki
    I have a 2010 California with just under 10K miles. How often should I replace spark plugs? Should I replace Fuel Injectors or Catalytic Converters? I would appreciate any other feedback for Annual Service.

2. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Check the owners manual for service recommendations. Catalytic converters, spark plugs and fuel injectors absolutely NOT. Annual servicing normally consists of oil, filter, brake fluid and cabin filter.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    And the service should be done annually, as the name suggests.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    In later Ferraris, the maintenance schedule is not in the owners manual, but in the warranty book. Here is the maintenance schedule if you did not get one with your California.

Attached Files:

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Add coolant to that list.

6. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    No need to do coolant each year. Every 2-3 years is more than enough. Power steering fluid every now and again also helpful. Follow factory recommendations.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #7 2NA, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    No, I disagree. Coolant gets changed annually for all my clients. 360s also get the gearbox drained and refilled annually. It's relatively inexpensive and draining it out is the only way to tell if there's cross-contamination. If you want to save money, you can skip the cabin filter. Unless you live in a dust storm, it doesn't need changing. For the record, the factory recommendations are occasionally wrong.

8. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I had Evans Waterless coolant put in to my system. The shop that put it in says it’s permanent. You think?

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There is no such thing as permanent …. anything, except for death.

10. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Will defer to the professional. The tech servicing my Ferraris who has been one of the 5 top rated techs in the Ferrari world tech competition for several years in a row recommends the service for coolant listed above. This does not means not to inspect it or look for evidence of cross contamination. Clearly no harm in yearly change.

11. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    How about taxes?

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Some people skip the coolant change every year because it is such a pain to flush and bleed. Get the airlift system, you are done in 10 minutes. On 355 and 360 where there is a heat exchanger for the gear box oil and coolant, the annual fluid change is the time to see if one fluid crosses to the other and then you replace the heat exchanger. I understand the urge to skip some things especially when the car is driven very sparingly, but if you own a Ferrari then the expenses come with the territory. You did know that, right?

BMW and Lexus used to classify their transmission fluid as life time fluid. You should see the stuff that comes out of the gearbox after 30k miles. Both companies do not call their fluids lifetime fluids anymore. I change my wife's Lexus gearbox fluid every 10,000 miles (engine oil changed 5k miles) and that car now has 190K miles with same gear box. Lifetime fluid, hah.

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Talk to Ford. They claim their transmissions don't need service till 150k. My old 2015 fusion needed a new tranny at 108k. Got rid of it shortly after.

14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i found that the 360's coolant doesn't need to be bled, unless you want to drive in on the same day of the change.
    add coolant, start engine, 100C, stop engine, let it cool, open cap, add more coolant, start engine, 100C, stop engine, let it cool, open cap, add more coolant

usually 3-4 times of the above cycle u'll get a perfectly bled car. for me it takes maybe 2 days since im doing it in my own place, so i dont have time issues

15. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Agree with the potential heat exchanger issue with the 360 but the initial question posed was for a California.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Ask him how long the anticavitation additives last in the brand he uses. With the exception of 2 brands they are dead in about 18 months.

Only 2 brands in the USA that are good for 3-5 years on any high compression wet liner engine.

thorn and smg2 like this.
  17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Which 2?

18. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Time regardless of running time / mileage or time assuming normal driving?

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Time, it's a chemical reaction that starts the moment the coolant is introduced into the system and the first heat cycle is underway.

Coolant is cheap, I flush all my vehicles annually. Not all coolants are the same, need to check based on mfg specs and is most always color coded to make it easy. The oddest one so far is the "pink" one for McLaren.

20. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    So far the lab tests I've done in Evans coolant in long term use has shown no problems 5yrs and running. That stuff is expensive! But has its advantages.

21. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Still using the European Glycoshell OEM type coolant and distilled water in the CS as I had bought some a while back. That being said, I respect your opinion and will change more frequently than my current every 2-3 yr interval.
    FWIW, some VWs also use a pink coolant.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Coolants have a variety of additives depending on use. Most have a calendar based life span. Reading the product information prepared for fleet operators is far more informative that what you see in the auto parts store. As far as lubrication, freezing and corrosion protection most will tell you 300,000 miles is fine, as long as you do that 300,000 miles in a year. Many additive packages are perishable in the 1-2 year old period. For fleet operators most offer renewal additives to add. In recent years with higher outputs in wet liner engines cavitation has been a real issue in diesels and we have seen it for a long time in Ferrari motors, we just didn't know what we were looking at. Anti cavitation additives have been stripped out of many for environmental reasons and in most engines it doesn't matter but in a Ferrari it does. One of the few OTC products that still had it was Valvoline G05 BUT it was only viable for a year or two. In recent years an all new additive was developed that is claimed to last 3-5 years is in Caterpillar ELC and Shell Rotella Ultra ELC. I never see the Shell OTC. I have to order it 10 or more cases at a time from one of the commercial suppliers. No other conventional coolant I have found offers the same protection and certainly not for more than rather short change periods.

flash32 and Dave rocks like this.
  23. RAD1972

RAD1972 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard Devinki
    This is my first post and I really appreciate the feedback. I would love to know what other Ferrari owners of modern day Ferrari's do for annual service. I have a 2010 California with just under 10K miles. How often should I replace spark plugs? Should I replace Fuel Injectors or Catalytic Converters? I would appreciate any other feedback for Annual Service.

24. RAD1972

RAD1972 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard Devinki
    Thanks for this info...do you have a California or modern day Ferrari....what do you do for annual service?

25. RAD1972

RAD1972 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard Devinki
    Why do you say this...Ferrari says I should?