575 Manual auction | Page 2 | FerrariChat

575 Manual auction

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Skippr1999, Dec 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Merlin Auto Group

Merlin Auto Group Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
    Will be interesting to see how it does.

2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Bluebottle likes this.
  3. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Okay, getting back to OP's topic... I happen to like Ferraris in "non-standard" color combos and really like this 575. Simply gorgeous! Given the recent sharp market correction in financial markets across the world, though, have to wonder what the effect (if any) will be on high end car auctions. This one may struggle to make RM Sotheby's pre-sale estimate, but all it takes are two motivated bidders, so who knows? This Maranello would be a great one to have regardless.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  4. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Hammer fell at $200K

Chicken dinner for Graham. Right on the nose.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Was it definitely sold? Low estimate was 250k. If that was the reserve, it was a no sale at the 200k bid.

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That seems pretty low, or the manual gearbox hype may be fading...

7. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The auctioneer shouted sold as the hammer dropped and it was worked hard to get it there.

I was watching the live stream.

I think the reducing prices are a reflection of where the market is.

8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    nice to see some sanity in these markets, its laughable what some people their stuff is worth. Ferrari Palm Beach had a $399k red/tan stick forever recently with 11k miles it never sold. Its not just the cars, the suppliers too. The guys trying to sell the 575 modulars all asking $15k on ebay are hilarious, a set recently sold on bringatrailer for $7k, thats reasonable. I messaged the one who keeps bumping threads yesterday if I could trade him my 575 wheels and buy his, he offered me $2500 for mine, nevermind that he sells replica 575 wheels like mine for like $7500 online, replica ones, but he'll take mine in trade for $2500, who does business like that? Full retail for his stuff, but my stuff is firesale wholesale value in trade......

Lots of headscratching pricing in all markets. I just went to a couple auctions here for art basel, literally nothing met its "estimate". It seems the last 3 manual 575 I've seen have all been $225kish all in now, 2 were on BAT, and thats nice to see, I never really understood the manual premium, I suppose in terms of rarity its worth it and im sure it adds a little fun to the car, but in the end, the cars performance is not any better than it is in an F1.

The gearbox hype is fading and will only get worse, just wait for this debt bomb to explode and see what happens to the value of all these toys

9. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I drove both F1's and a manual 575's. Both my current cars are Automatic and I don't consider myself someone that prefers a manual transmission.

I didn't dislike the F1's I just enjoyed driving the manual more, I realised it was what I was looking for in this particular type of car. I've never driven a manual V12 before and it was quite special.

That said, if the right F1 comes along at the right price I'd be equally happy. Like you I'm also waiting for the next financial implosion in the hope I can pick something up at a more sensible price.

10. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Relative value is based on rarity, no? General values will always go up and down with the economy. Whether the F1 575 market is $50k or $150k, the sticks will always be valued at a premium, because of rarity, don’t you think?

11. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Is it rarer? Yes its rarer in terms of 575 production, but in terms of maranello production you had 3000 550's and 200 575's made with sticks....1777 i think maranellos with an F1 system....again its all subjective, whats in today may not be tomorrow. Im on my 4th exotic car, im 33 and I don't know how to drive a stick, it would be cool to learn, but I don't care, my 812 is incredible, my 575 is a very good car its not the end of the world to have a stick to me. I don't know any other guys my age with stick shift exotics, take that back one friend here in miami has a 90s RS america porsche, other than that, no young guys with a stick. Maybe they're priced out and don't care or maybe in general they don't care, I dont know, but I dont think many young exotic owners really care for the nostalgia of a stick bc well we've never had one to dream about from our past.........dont forget, although it is rarer, the F1 was i believe $12k more at the time the cars were new, not many wanted a stick, thats why its rarer, its not rarer bc it was better, if it was then 90% wouldn't have ordered the state of the art at the time F1 system......but markets go up, markets go down, as we're seeing with the last 3 manual 575's the prices they're trading hands at is trending lower and lower and again there's only i think 80 in the US? I believe thats what the last auction said and even so, the prices are dropping.

12. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    My point is rarity, not necessarily because it’s a manual transmission specifically. I’m not a proponent of the stick over the F1. So please don’t go down that debate route.
    For example; I saw a Azzuro California (blue) 575 with modular wheels, shields, and sport seats. That’s a rare car. For sure that car is worth more than a red/black car. That’s my reference point - rarity- something different.

13. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    It doesn't always work that way, how many people want an azzuro 575? It's a gorgeous look but that doesnt mean its worth a premium. Recently on BAT there was a 6k miles 560 SEC mercedes, gorgeous car, it went reserve not met at like $55k which is a ton of money for a 560 SEC, you can grab them for under $10k all day long obviously not in that shape but still, the seller had a super high reserve bc it was purple, yes purple. I thought $55k was a great offer, he thought a rare color was worth more. I think a red Ferrari will always find more bidders than a baby blue one.

14. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Ever study Economics? “Invisible Hand? Adam Smith? The market determines price. Good luck to you.

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    no not necessarily in 2011 or 12 when I bought my 550 I was also looking at 575s the manuals were priced no different then the F1s.and while I bought a 550 which is manual it was not necessarily because I wanted a manual it is just what I got. I also remember when 360 manuals were priced lower and harder to sell then F1....

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  16. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I guess things change, huh?

17. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    +1. The rarity aspect has been constant since they were made, but the price differential has changed a lot in both directions over the last few years. I even remember when 599 manual prices were as low or even lower than the F1 versions, and they would take a long time to sell. Now they are 3-4x the price of the F1 versions. Whether or not that will remain the case a few years from now, no one knows.

LARRYH likes this.
  18. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    yes they do and like larry and I are telling you markets go up, markets go down, relax.

LARRYH likes this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Now it that you mention it i recall. Talking to a dealer about a car he had and he really wanted to sell a manual 599 it was priced pretty cheap forget what i was looking at but it was not that car nor did i buy it ..i remember thinking why would i buy a manual599....
    Forgot about that ...

20. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    You made the right move, that amount of power was not made for manual shifting. I used to have an lp640 egear, my first exotic, and i met a guy who had a manual murcielago at a cars and coffee and he told me he burned through 3 clutches in like 10 or 12k miles and mine was not a manual and I put maybe 8k miles in 3 years and it still had alot of clutch life left. I'd like to assume he knew how to drive, perhaps he didn't but still cars with that much power were not designed for manual transmissions.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Works for Corvettes, but then American clutches tend to be much more robust than those for exotic cars.

flat_plane_eddie and Bluebottle like this.
  22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    my point was I was not looking at that car but he was pushing it .. seems like it only had 700miles it was at an independent dealer think I was looking a Porsche 930 .. which I bought from another seller....but I agree not a fan of a manual in a 599...

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    On a side note from the manual thing, a number of the most expensive classic cars are rare because nobody wanted to buy them when they were new. 275 NART Spiders. 964 3.8 RSs. Could barely give them away.

The manual 575 at this auction was probably nearly double the price of a similar F1 car. Price drops are across the used Ferrari market, manual, F1 or, uh, Valeo.

LorenzoOO likes this.
  24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Daytona Spiders, too. There were still new ones on dealer lots through 1974 and 1975.

25. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    D-type Jaguars, too - they had to invent the XKSS in order to sell the remaining stock.