308 CV Joint Rebuild | Page 7 | FerrariChat

308 CV Joint Rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dave, Oct 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Nope...
    Does mean anything special to me. Sorry!

2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I do not think I have that. Do have an electronic file of that? That might might be good since most of those tools are very hard to get now!

3. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #153 jmaienza, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks to everyone for this thread. I'm in the process of doing the differential seals myself and found the pictures and technical information to be invaluable.

I now measure every seal, check clearance to seal from outside edge (before install) and measure depth of the opening (once seal is removed). After the seal is installed, I now can compare before and after measurements.

I wanted to make a setup for holding the axle flanges so I could remove the flange bolt and install it to the proper torque. I did not just want to put a screwdriver in the hole and have it slip or mar the case. So I bought some M10 studs, 50mm long, some washers and nuts and made two solid mounting points. The washers have to have one side filed down to clear the lip of the flange. Three washers gave me enough clearance. Then, just wedge a bar or screwdriver between them. Nothing fancy, but it did allow me to remove the flange bolt with just a breaker bar and torque it properly without any slippage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan likes this.
  4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Joe , that cool of four I did not thin of that.

All,

Getting back to the original post topic. I had a neighbor come one and hold my driveshaft while i tapped on the tight CV joint. That went well with that joint because there was so much tension the snap ring fit on perfectly. On my other shaft one snapped on easily and I could rotate it about without much difficulty, however on the other two, I am not perfectly happy how the snap rings fit. Granted that is why I wanted new snap rings as the others were a bear to get off, and on very tight. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for compressing the cupped washer spring a bit to get the snap ring to go on with less difficulty.

I used the new style snap ring and the part with the holes is definitely going in the slot but the fat part on the other side is where I am concerned. I took a large socket that fit around the outside of the snap ring and using a piece of wood on the bottom of the shaft, tapped on the socket hoping to force pressure on the spring washer to compress, while the snap ring was in place.

I may be over analyzing this as everything as on the ones that I am unsure of after doing the above procedure when I tried to remove them the part with the hole opens up but the fat part does not want to come loose or out of the slot, making me feel like they are half in there? This could be the snap ring is so tight in there and the washer exerting force on it from below.

I was thinking putting it in my press and pressing on the shaft on top with two plates on the bed supporting the inner race . I would have to crawl under the press to put on the snap ring or adjust it but this seems like over kill.

I thought someone may have a better idea like one of saves or Joe's above to put these on. I just dont want any to come off..

Thanks for any suggestions.

5. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    YEP!

You are way, way over-thinking this, Rob. Smack the joint down with a big hammer/collar set-up, or use a press...and call it a day. Sometimes the joints go on tight, sometime not. Install snap ring. Done. This is a 15 second operation.

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #156 robertgarven, Jan 9, 2012
  7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #157 robertgarven, Jan 14, 2012
    Friends,

Just to let everyone know what I did. I was still not satisfied with the way the snap rings fit. Here is what I did. I put the assembled shaft in my press,. I used a bathroom mirror to make sure the inner race was supported, I took this pic before I got it centered. I then aligned the press with the end of the shaft and with the slightest pressure just pressed it a bit then got under the press with some snap ring pliers and made sure the rings were seated, which they were. then slowly released the pressure. Got the left shaft on and the right tomorrow!

I used the Band-it Band-Fast bands that came with the boots. They were very easy to put on and tightened them until the rubber looked like it was deforming then locked it. I did not want to put too much pressure on the boot and considering that the bands I used last time were just pulled hand tight and never leaked, I think this will work.

BTW there are some cheaper knock off bands similar at NAPA but they are made in China these were made in CO. Even though the bolts and nots looked like new, I replaced them, and used a bit of copper anti seize on the castle nuts. This seemed to work great last time as none were frozen and yet all were very tight to remove.

Thanks again to all that have made suggestions, I think this is a good thread!!!

Rob

8. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Nice work, Robert.

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Good job, Rob.

10. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Excellent work, Rob!

11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Dear Friends,

Thanks to all who helped. I did not want to post until I was sure but the CV rebuild went fine about 4 drives now and everything is running smooth. I am kind of freaked out though as since i completed it I had not had one drip of anything under my car! My car always leaked at least a few drops after a drive, but I am not going to complain!!! The car is running great, thanks to all of you!!!!!!

Rob

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    That is great to hear. These cars can operate without leaks! I did a lot of leak work on my 30K and I like to say that it doesn't leave a drop. Not on the ground anyway. After this last summer the engine is a bit greasy from some weepy leaks but it doesn't put puddles on the ground so that is the first step.

Great to hear your car is back on the road.

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Have did you guys find the cross reference CV/axles for your cars ? I'm looking for an axles for a 360. My boot is half missing and I have some noise. Rather than just repack it, I want to replace it for the piece of mind.

It would not surprise me to find out it is a Porsche part

14. 308GTB1978

308GTB1978 Karting

Dec 21, 2013
    France
    Hi everybody,

I'm doing the same job on my EURO 78 GTB but it is not so easy : the CV joint is liked welded on the gearbox side, there is no way to extract it.

Of course all bolts are out, I put liters of WD40, I also warm and then used a freezer spray : no way !
    Not so much space to put tools also ...

[​IMG]

It is not my first CV joint rebuild but that is the first time I get this trouble, does anybody have any idea ?

Thanks.

15. 308GTB1978

308GTB1978 Karting

Dec 21, 2013
    France
    Problem solved.

Manu.

16. enzo777enzo

enzo777enzo Rookie

Oct 29, 2013
    Argentina - La Pampa
    hello Manu
    how you solved the problem???

17. 308GTB1978

308GTB1978 Karting

Dec 21, 2013
    France

Hello,

I fact I had to disconnect the upper arm and also the damper so that I was able to pull the axle with the right tool, so did I.

@+

18. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Which way is the washer installed? Because it's not flat. Does it sping-load the the CV joint?

Thanks,
    Carmine

19. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The washer spring loads the CV joint.

When you go to install the circular clip on the end in the groove, you may have to push down on the CV joint (against the washer's spring effect) to allow the clip to fully seat in the groove.

20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Carmine,

It has been a while but I am almost positive the washer would go curve up on the shaft and yes there is a spring effect, that is why I used the press to secure the snap ring although someone smarter than me could probably do it easier. I would highly recommend the redline CV 2 grease that is probably in the thread. I had fun with the cv joints something that seemed more complicated than they are and easier to clean and repack than taking off or on!! HA

Rob

21. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
  22. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    It will work fine. I liked the Redline CV2 as it had extensive endurance race results.

23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    That's what I use. No issues at all.

24. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    CV joints are rugged and reliable. Someone on you tube posted he doesn't even change torn boots anymore. Says the wheel won't fall off!

25. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    What manufacturer of CV joints are you guys using?

The prices seem to range between about $50 ea to over $200 ea.