19 Year Old YT'ber Gets First US Pista... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

19 Year Old YT'ber Gets First US Pista...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SLDriver, Nov 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I have no idea why they couldn't get financed, you made your own assumptions. I made no mention if financial statements or credit scores. I dont have that detail.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It is believable, they make a fair amount of money from ads and merchandise. They probably spend all or most of what they make but that is their prerogative.

3. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    All they are doing is making stuff and getting a good income from it. Just like any other manufacturer of stuff. The fact that they chose to spend their money in this way is their choice. Sadly in any market with constrained supply (ie Pista) there will be more punters than cars. Some will be disappointed. Sadly, no system of allocation is perfect, but at least ferrari is trying. One or two weird allocations will happen, but that’s life. Time to move on. No point getting upset about it.

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I was with a Youtuber the last 2 days, we did a road trip (800 miles) round trip in 720's and some other cars. Nice kid, he has been doing this for about 4 years, he is 24 YO and has a good head on his shoulders. He has almost 1 million subscribers and makes between $30K and $50k/month depending on views. In his view his car generates cash and he gets the enjoyment from it as well. He mentioned his credit was shot but I didnt ask why. I dont think this is atypical. Kids making a bunch of money and spending it. He is already working on a Plan B though.

SoCal to az likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I didn’t make 30-50k a month at 24. More power to him. I think and hope these you tubers don’t turn out like professional athletes- lots of money very quickly and they can’t handle it. Like 80% of athletes end up bankrupt within 5 years of leaving their sport.

6. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Problem with the youtubers is to get content... eventually they dry out and then have to get media credentials and then fall in line with their reviews.

Difficult for young guns to be successful when everyone around them are like the typical 24 year olds... successful person will have to pay for everyone and there goes the money.

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I've seen this myself but in the case his compadres were on point. I'll spare you their professions but all had good jobs and were doing well. Perhaps not the norm. I genuinely enjoyed hanging out with all of them, they were great kids, very respectful, smart and good initiative.

exoticcardreamer and SoCal to az like this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Yes. I do education for a living in the medical field. Very hard to continuously come up with new stuff.

9. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    If he makes that much a month and still thinks about a plan B, I agree he must have a good head on the shoulder, unless it's a different plan b. Was it a morning after pull he was referring to? Just kidding.

10. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Hey, are you a faculty in a medical school?

11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Not quite. Shoot me a pm

12. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017

Yes, a big channel is 100% able to afford those cars, especially if they use them as an primary form of generating content. They can write them off as business expenses. Also, a lot of these guys prioritize buying multiple cars before even getting their first house, which is opposite of most people.

However, many of these channels started off from family money. Maybe 4 years ago, they got a Lamborghini gallardo when their channel was only 10K subscribers and they were still a full time freshman student. They then use the Gallardo to kickstart their channel until it’s self sustaining.

13. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #138 Fireman1291, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    As a YouTuber, allow me to provide my perspective.

I'm a 34 year old Firefighter (14+ years) and full time YouTuber. I have worked MY ASS OFF, 7 days a week the past 6 years to build my channel and brand across YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I also plan, organize, and host 2 major shooting events each year open to the public. That last part is very stressful. I can only now begin to responsibly afford my first F-Car. My wife is an ARNP, we own our house, and have no other car payments, motorcycle payments or CC debt for everything we own. I saved up and I'm buying within the next two weeks, hopefully sooner. I have my eyes on a 2004 Gated 6 360 Modena. I love the old school "click clunk" rolling through the gate. I can't get enough, and don't get me started on a 5 valve screaming N/A Ferrari V8.

That being said, these Vloggers build brands at a MUCH faster pace and with less work. The majority of the large channels come from prominent families and didn't have to work a career while simultaneously building their channel. I run a review channel where I work with the firearm company and provide a T&E service that I film and post to the masses to help them with a future firearm or silencer purchase. It takes a ton of prep and work. A vlogger grabs their autofocus point and shoot, tosses some sliders in the frunk, blabs to the audience, and edits a slick looking video of them just living life that day. It's makes me cringe but it's genius. Their audience is HUGE. How many 20 somethings sit and drone away watching these Vloggers "live it up" vs educated buyers of firearms doing research for their next purchase as they sit and eat dinner after a long day downtown? Millions.

The flashy bourgeois lifestyle attracts dreamers that live through the lives of these vloggers. It's no different than the TV we watched in the 80's/90's other than the fact it's more personable as they can comment and interact with their favorite idols. Add some paid product placement from bluetooth speaker, fashion watch, and sunglass companies and you have a nice supplement to a video that nets $10K in ad's as soon as it's uploaded. And that's not counting if a dealership pays them to do the video on site! Some of the car YouTube channels with 800K-2Mil subs are banking 80-120K a month just in ad revenue. Let that sink in. These kids have what? 18Mil subs? And while it may sound like I'm bitching, and yeah, I may be a tad sour, it doesn't change the fact they and others found a niche that pays if you hit the formula on the head. I gotta give them credit, I'd invest and ride that wave as long as I could!

Edit-
    Example of my format:

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    If I was making $50K/month at 24 I’m pretty sure I would have invested every penny and continued living very modestly.
    But I tend to save and invest a huge portion of my income...even my financial guys sometimes shake their heads in disbelief.
    But I come from New England where if you are successful you have a new Subaru and if you are related to the Kennedys you may splurge on a Volvo.
    :)

15. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    You are all being way too hard on them -

They have built a business where they film, edit and produce a commercially successful video nearly every day.

They have 12.7 million subscribers, and most videos have between 1 and 4 million views, with many in the 10 to 15 million view range.

The content is advertiser friendly, innocuous entertainment which I suspect is aimed at a younger age group than they are.

They probably employ a professional YouTube management company such as Gleam Futures (in the UK).

The 90's phenomenon where management structures created wholly manufactured bands, doesn't seem to exist on YouTube yet. They probably have created and built this business themselves.

What they have achieved is very hard to do. It may have a short commercial life, but I think they will probably succeed again, perhaps in a different arena.

The kids watching this channel are not necessarily idiots. Probably not all 12 million of them ......... And there is plenty of educational and positive content on YouTube watched by kids.

600,000 of them have been tuning in religiously to watch two very well adjusted teen brothers, one of whom is technically talented, the other mechanically rebuild an insurance write off Corvette into a beautiful example in no time at all, going from hardly any subscribers to 600,000 in a little over a year.

16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its bizarre you quoted me. I was one of the few who actually congratulated them.

17. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I wasn't having a go at you. I know you are a good guy from your posts.

anunakki likes this.
  18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    And like lots of professional athletes, they should save a large chunk of today's earnings because todays gig likely won't last forever. Everything has a life cycle.

19. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This guy gets it.

20. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    This really is the key. Michael Jordan, Sony, Walkman, CD, DVD, Blue ray, iphone, TV shows...

21. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Really.. ..why is everyone so butthurt over this?

So the kid is 19.
    So Ferrari saw a chance to exploit a sale potentially furthering their brand (maybe to a future buyer) by exploiting 12M+ followers
    So you have the cash but didn't get the first Pista?

Go ahead and flame me, but isn't business (no matter how stupid it is) about finding a niche and selling as much into it as quickly as you can before the interest fades.

Sounds to me like a bunch of old farts are upset becuase a kid found a way to make money, get a car said old fart wanted to squirrel away in his collection never to be driven and is butthurt by said events.

Yah I'm jealous... but im jealous bc i wasn't smart enough to do the same thing or have the "talent" these kids do to build a brand.

Brand building and business is radically different these days... get on the train or get off and sell your collections.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

22. Rosso Corsa Strada

Nov 11, 2018
    Was it Mike?

Gh21631 likes this.
  23. duxz360

duxz360 Rookie

Nov 19, 2016
    Way too much spitting on the kids in this thread.Everyone is chasing money in today's world and Youtube is full of young people (16-26) who make millions by producing videos and its a huge business.Its not an easy job at all, growing a youtube channel is like growing a business, its not like you just have the camera on for 8-12 minutes and then upload the video and bam you get a 50k check in the mail.Seems like they are getting their money LEGALLY and I have no problem with that,there are plenty of people who purchase Ferraris (and other cars,boats,planes) with drug money or blood money,money that caused deaths and destroyed families yet this forum will sleep on that but direct the hate towards 2 young kids who make youtube videos to the point of calling them and their viewers retarded.To the guy that complained on page 1 or 2 about not getting a Pista allocation despite buying 12 Ferraris, its probably because you only kept 1 of them and built up a flipper image in your dealers eyes,since Pista is not numbered car and as such once the initial wave of deliveries clears you will be able to pick one up for 20-30K over sticker.

24. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Old farts you say? I could be a 20 year old whining too. Lol.

dahveedem likes this.
  25. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Huh?? Dealer love people who keeps changing or "flipping" car. What are you talking about?

Not getting a pista despite buying 12 cars indeed is upsetting.

I am so lost at the quoted statement of yours.