Yonge-Steeles Motors | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Yonge-Steeles Motors

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ///R, Aug 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davenichols

davenichols Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 8, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    I found these kicking around in my boxes of Ferrari stuff, and thought I would share.
    Interesting to see the old ads for the Dino’s, as I recently purchased 01462 that was sold new in Toronto.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    You have a rare Dino 246 (coupe?) then built for the Canadian market. What was the color combination for the paint and interior?

3. davenichols

davenichols Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 8, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    I have 01462, which was yellow/black from new. I think the photo of the one Remo is standing next to is originally a white/black car that they colour changed during restoration.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes that looks wonderful in yellow and a very close build number to the white Dino. Thank you for sharing that picture!

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  6. ///R

///R Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    BTW, prior to Yonge-Steeles there was going to be different Ferrari dealer. O'Donnel Mackie(located at Bay and St Joseph) approached Ferrari but I guess things fell through. They were the official Rolls Royce dealer in Toronto and they were an AMC dealer too. Imagine seeing an AMC Pacer and a Rolls in the same showroom! O'Donnel Mackie was also the Auburn-Cord-Dusenburg dealer.

Peter, 375+ and of2worlds like this.
  7. Soulman

Soulman Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gary Kit
    This is my first post on FerrariChat,

The photo above is of the O'Donnell-Mackie "ACD" dealership when it was located at 577 Yonge St. in Toronto during the early 1930's. The building still exists and is still easily recognisable (I think it's a cheap lingerie shop now). Does anyone know of the whereabouts of John Graham who was Gentry's sales manager back in the mid 1980's? He was a very decent, likeable guy. I had my black with tan 1968 Fiat Dino coupe for sale on consignment in the mid 80's and got to know John casually back then. The red Daytona that has been mentioned above was parked right next to my car and was also being sold on consignment by Neal Peart, the drummer for Rush. At the time his Daytona, I remember thinking, had seen better days.

375+ and of2worlds like this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    When the Testarossa first appeared there was much demand for them. More than a few customers wanted a Testarossa and would stuff wads of cash in John Graham's pocket in the hope of getting an early delivery. He would always politely hand the cash back and tell his customers just to be patient and wait their turn for a TR allocation!
    In those days John drove a Pontiac but I don't know where he went.
    Maybe David Irvine another former Gentry Lane employee knows what happened to John Graham?

9. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    In 1984 I walked into Gentry Lane in Scarborough. I was shopping for a Dino and they had a used one in the showroom.

I was just a skinny kid with long hair. No one was in sight, except for John Graham, who was on his phone with his feet up on the desk. I stepped over the velvet rope to have a better look at the car.

That got John out of his office. "Away from the car, kid!" he said.

No sale that day.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Where did you buy your Dino George?

11. ///R

///R Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    Peter and of2worlds like this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Complete hearsay with what I'm about to say...I heard John passed away from a heart attack while fighting with Remo Ferri over an F40 that Reo was pissed about because Gentry got the car before he did. Shortly after Gentry lost the Ferrari franchise..not sure how true this is, but that is what I heard..or I have the names wrong.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    From Geneen Motors. They had it on display in their showroom at King and Parliament.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I remember David Geneen, he once owed Grand Touring Automobiles. They would also service Ferrari models there.
    Was it you that kept a registry of the 246 Dino models sold new in Canada? Do you recall a 1973 Dino 246 Gts silver gray sold new in Brooklin Ontario. It was always low mileage with something like 4,400 on the clock when I saw it. That Dino was always in beautiful condition.

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I've heard a similar story but I believe it was the owner of Gentry Lane, Luigi Bruzzio, who was the one who passed away from the stress related heart attack around the time an F40 they had was damaged at a charity event at Mosport. As it was told to me the loss of the Ferrari franchise by Gentry Lane was somehow tied to this incident as well as other 'external' pressures that shall remain nameless. Again some hearsay here.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Bingo!! That's the one..had my names confused. Obviously hearsay of course.

17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The 1991 F40 was damaged at the hands of a lawyer giving 'charity' rides at Mosport. Their 288 GTO was also spent time on track at Mosport but without incident...

18. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Here is a photo of the GTO & if memory serves me right the driver of the F40 is the guy with the red & black suit & that looks like Luigi in facing him. The F40 was quickly covered up so I did not bother taking any photos.

///R and of2worlds like this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Great period picture with the GTO wearing it's export plates. That GTO was delivered to Toronto in April 1985 but could not be registered back then for street use. I always thought that particular GTO was more special with it's red cloth inserts on the seats and the dash. Luigi's daughter drove the GTO as I recall on more than one occasion.
    Gentry Lane had a party one night and the GTO and F40 were parked side by side in the showroom to introduce the new 1991 car. Thank you for sharing that picture!

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Any idea where that car ended up?

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes. The car is still in Canada.

22. ///R

///R Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    Was that car ever for sale at Legendary?

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    No the widow sold the GTO and the car has only had one other owner since then.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I had no idea she sold it. My question was a bit leading (as you probably figured out) I do remember speaking to a fellow who was close with the family years ago, who mentioned she still had it, and had a mechanic come to the house to service it every year.

Not sure if you know anything about the EB110 they had?

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I don't really follow the Bugatti cars so nothing on that EB110.
    Long ago 1990's? at the Christies Conservation Area up on #5 there was a guy who put on a car show there. Hundreds of old cars showed up that day. They also ran some of the cars on a one way timed course on the park roadway there to. One of the Ferrari guys (Aldo?) had a silver 275 GTB and some sort of old Bugatti to. Only time I saw a Bugatti!