Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Oct 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I've been reading this thread for the last 5 days, it's a very good reference to repair the rear window lifters, but some things can be added like for instance how to get the window motor assemblies out of the car. I'll post a pic later how this is done.

Here's a question I have: how to test the motors. On the schema (LH and RH motors are the 01204 and 01205) and looking at the motor assembly, there's no cable for the ground (mass), so I'm wondering if the "-" is playing any role in here...

There are 2 cables: one of 12V for UP and one for 12V to go DOWN.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Ground is there at the window switch pin N-1. The switch reverses the polarity at the motor's terminals to cause it to go Up or Down.

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    So, I cannot test the motor without connecting it to the switch?

4. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Just apply 12V to the wires that go to the motor. Reverse polarity to go the other way.

5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yes, that's what I tried, but motors are dead. Fortunately I have some spare ones that I'll try tomorrow.

Mtweiss likes this.
  6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    OK, so the spare units are working. Now I face the biggest question of the mounting of the assemblies back in the car : how the F*$!# can you re-connect both plugs? The plug to which you have to connect the assembly is deeeeeeep down below in that unaccessible space, unreachable to the hand. You cannot pull the cable further out to easily access it, so is there a secret passage to access this connector?

7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Thanks for the answer ;)

There's no alternative for accessing the RH side connector unless you take out the oil tank in case of a Mondial T !!! The motor of the RH side has been tested and is working perfectly. I have put it back and am finishing that side.

So, I managed to press my arm a bit more downward and was able to re-connect the motor after putting it back in that dreadful place. And one final picture to show how I have been testing the RH side unit. Image Unavailable, Please Login

The way to put the assembly back on the RH side is shown on the pics below. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Hehe....I do believe they put the exterior panel after this window ensemble whas put first in fabrication proces.

Guido

9. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I wouldn't be too surprised ... Anyhow, the RH side is done!

More difficult will be the LH side. I have 2 authentic assemblies, but none of these are working. The first one does nothing at all , the second one has a clicking motor but the rail doesn't move.

My approach is to remove both tubes from the engine (through which the cable passes) and then test the engine to see whether it's an issue of a blocked cable or not. Maybe I'll open up one of both to see how it all works and then try to repair. If it's FUBAR, I'll purchase a FIAT Uno unit and install that one.

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Quite tricky if you just painted the Mondial :) but looks good Stefan!

11. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    And success!!! I managed to repair a motor assembly and it was rather easy! I'll post pictures and movies tomorrow... Will sleep well tonight :)

12. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    These flippin' motors are driving me crazy! One replacement unit was working p e r f e c t l y (and installed back in the car with a lot of painful effort) and I repaired the second one yesterday and tested it d o z e n s of times and it w o r k e d !!!

Today: none of 'em work!

I have cleansed them, put new grease in it, checked them over and over again and today they don't do anything except for clicking...

I'll have to start over again ... They should shoot the motherflipper who designed these pieces of crap.

Anyway, just keeping calm and carrying on ... :)

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    You probably looked, but any fuse? not sure if power comes from 2 separate sources.

14. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Sure it’s not the switches?

15. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Switches and fuses are OK.

Here's the thing I'm gonna do: leave the car top-down and drive it like that for the coming weeks/months and take my time to come up with a solution that will benefit us all!

16. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    My conclusion is that there are 3 options for solving the blocked rear windows:

1. Go for an OEM part or repair the FIAT units that were in the car : the design issue will remain, pushing/pulling the cable through an 8 demands a powerful motor, which the OEM is not!
    2. Go for a FIAT UNO or Volvo S40 or other lifting motor: at least 100 euro per unit and you still have to make it work and customize them to fit the Mondial. This is for the better DIY guy and requires a lot of work or money
    3. Go for a manual solution: remove the 8 and the lifting motor from the OEM assembly and move the window manually up and down. Sounds rougher than it is, you can attach a leather strap to the bottom of the window and pull the window up using this strap. This is extremely easy to do and if done well, will look like this was a standard from the beginning.

This strap can be attached to the inner side lining to keep the window up with a button like this (equal to the ones on the tonneau cover):

17. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I don't own Mondial's anymore, got two of them same time. For both cars I made that "Volvo" setup and I strongly suggest to do that, rear windown will work better then front's, like they should, it is worth it.

Take care to see that angle between sliding part and window rail is similar, plastic rollers from original windows will adjust and allow window to have movementwhan it seals agains up position. Window is guite loosely on bracket.
    Low stop bolt needs to be drilled individually, so you get window tip hidden and not to shread B-pilar rubber, but also not let window fall to fender.
    Upper bracket is hand bended plate, low bolt take all force, upper mainly just guides.
    Upper guide is just sheet metal, final adjustment you will bend it to "S" -shape.
    Motor is just zip tied to original braket in car.
    You can swap wires under switch if wire in window is wrong.

theunissenguido and MvT like this.
  18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Oh wow! What a difference in speed and sound! from which Volvo is this? It looks from a V40 or V60.

19. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Just read Stefan's post of a Volvo S40 so the V40 would be the same.

20. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Volvo part has S40 on it....mechanisme looks like in this videos :

So I think it is used in several models Volvo : S40, V40....
    Guido

21. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Just performed a window-ectomy on the right side of my recently purchased 87 Cab. I was fortunate that the motor wasn't dead, it just wouldn't push the window more than about 2/3 of the way up to close. All of the previous advice on this thread was a great help. Took about two hours to get everything out. Soaked the track and cable in cleaner overnight, then white greased it and put it back in the following day. About one and a half hours for install, At the same time, I wired in one of the Dickman relay. accelerators just in case.
    Works as it should now. Hopefully, it stays that way for awhile, lol...
    I also wanted to mention that I saw no real need to remove the window guides, either front or back. I took the window off the mechanism before removing it, and reinstalled the same way. The guides being there didn't really seem to hamper the removal or install.

22. Mtweiss

Mtweiss Rookie

Nov 12, 2011
    Woodstock, CT
    Full Name:
    Martin Weiss
    I just put up my top for the winter months (88 Mondial cab) and darn it, the right rear window is stuck down. I hear a clicking sound so it’s getting juice but am I screwed? I’m not very mechanically inclined and this thread scares the daylights out of me.

23. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yes, you are screwed if you don't have an extensive DIY track record :)

I ended up removing the cable with motor and attaching a leather strap to the window support. That way, you can very easily lift it up by pulling the strap. Extremely simple and looks great.

24. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I realize this is getting to be an ancient thread, but wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I just attempted the volvo motor and regulator swap on the passenger side of my 87 cab with no luck. Much trial and error was involved in making the brackets to bolt everything down in place, but once this was accomplished, I couldn't tie the motor down anywhere where it wasn't in the path of the window while moving up and down. If anyone has successfully accomplished this and would like to pass along measurements and maybe photos of the brackets used, and how you got the motor out of the way, I would be thankful and interested. I'm aware a lot of the original phots have gone to photobucket cyberhell at this stage, so that didn't help. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

25. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I recently had the same problem and I discovered the switch was at fault. I removed it and cleaned it with detoxit. Good to go now. I also sprayed a bunch of WD40 done on the cable assy using an extra long straw. I waited a couple of days and cycled the windows a few times. Did wonders.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app