Visiting Lisbon | FerrariChat

Visiting Lisbon

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by db1, Sep 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi,

My wife and I are visiting Lisbon in Oct, staying in Cascais. We are members of the UK Ferrari Owners Club and were wondering whether there is anything "car related", e.g: museums, events, owners groups that we could visit whilst we are there.

It is our first time to Lisbon, so any recommendations of things to do would be most welcome.

I look forward to any replies.

Regards

Dave

2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hi Dave,

Cascais is a great choice and I'm sure you and your wife will like it. The place was an ancient fishermen's village that saw a part of the european royalty coming to live there during the second world war and has a lot to offer. Nice hotels and an exotic coast with the Sintra mountains behind, lovely golf courses, and some of the best fish restaurants in the world located in the area of Guincho. Nearby is also the Estoril circuit and from the 2nd to 7th October of this year Cascais is receiving the first Estoril Classic Week and you can see the program at https://www.raceready.pt/estoril-classic-pt.
    By the way I've been a member of the UK Ferrari Owners Club despite of the fact that I live in Portugal. According with our local experts in Portugal there are around 1000 Ferraris and in some of the collections there are early classics but we don't have an official club like you do in the UK . Nonetheless the local Scuderia Rampante Club last year organized an very nice event for the commemoration of the 70th anniversary of Ferrari and we had a track day at Estoril and a parade around Guincho and Cascais.

I hope you enjoy your stay and if you require some more specific information or recommendation about something in particular please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Mario

3. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi Mario,

Thank you for your friendly reply...do you ever come to the UK for any events? If so, let me know - I have organised things for car friends from around the world and would be happy to help with any recommendations.

We are very much looking forward to the visit. Unfortunately we are there a bit later in October so won't be able to make the Classic event - but it would be nice to see Estoril anyway and we might take a drive there.

We are putting the plans together now and I will for sure come back to you with any questions.

Many thanks again

Dave

MDEL likes this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi Dave,

In addition to Mário’s spot on reply with which I agree to the fullest, may I also point out that if you find yourself with spare time in your hands and the ability to take on a small road trip (250-300km), there’s the Museu do Caramulo, which has a webpage available in english at the top right corner:

www.museu-caramulo.net

One of the nicest (if not the nicest) car collections in Portugal available to the general public.

Don’t know if you’re coming to Portugal driving your Ferrari, but the official Ferrari dealer in Lisbon is quite near the city centre, right by the Ritz Hotel, should you need anything or just to enjoy the view.

Please let us know if there’s anything we can do to make your stay in Portugal more enjoyable. Hope you have a nice and safe trip, and that you spend a lovely time in our country with your family.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

Makuono and MDEL like this.
  5. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi Nuno and Mario,

Again, thanks for your friendly replies. We usually try to organise a group drive once a year for about 4 - 6 cars. They are all classics - eg: Dino, 330 etc. and we have discussed doing a tour in Portugal. Coming from the UK we would arrive in Spain on the ferry and then make our way to Portugal. I don't know the area well, or the nicest route so would be very keen to get any ideas. Also, what would be really great would be to meet up with some folk from Portugal perhaps along the way somewhere or at a destination. I usually try to add something of interest (eg: car museum, race track visit, restorer) so we have a day of less driving. Do you think this is a possibility? In case either of you are in Lisbon, we are there 19th - 22nd Oct if you have time for a coffee and chat. Also, should you want to do something in the UK I can help you with routes we have used and suggestions of great places to visit.

Best regards

Dave

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hi Dave,

Below you'll find some suggestions for your driving trip in Portugal and some pictures of the Douro region. Because I travel often I don't know yet if I'll be here on the 19th-22nd October but if I am it will be a pleasure meeting you in Cascais for a coffee a chat and to contemplate your Ferraris.

Drive 499 Km from Santander through Leon and Verin to the town of Chaves in the north of Portugal and from there follow the mythical old road N2 direction south. This road is the longest in the country crossing Portugal from north to south in an extension of 738 Km. Chaves is an old roman town (Aquae Flaviae) and 19 Km south you have at Vidago the historical Hotel Vidago Palace where you could stay. https://www.vidagopalace.com/pt/

Travelling 41 Km south from Vidago the next town is Vila Real where you can visit the Mateus Palace which is the one showing on all the labels of the Mateus Rosé wine bottles.

From Vila Real to Santa Marta de Penaguião there are 19 Km and from there to Peso da Régua (7Km). There you are in the very heart of the river Douro hills and vineyards which are a world heritage and the first demarked wine region in the world. The vineyards planted on terraces on very steep hills and the grapes produced here are used to make port wine. Driving up and down these hills and contemplating the scenery around is an unique experience.

Peso da Régua is the town next to the Douro river where from the beginning of the 18th century the “Rabelo sail boats” loaded the large barrels of port and took them down river to Porto from where they where exported worldwide. At Peso da Régua you can visit the museum Museu do Douro where all the history of this region is documented. 8 Km from Peso da Régua is the town of Lamego where you can visit the sanctuary of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios and see the stairs built in the hill, the Sé Catedral and the Castle. From Lamego you can drive south to the town of Viseu (61 Km) or if you wish drive west to Porto (130 Km). If you go to Viseuthe three most interesting things to see are the XII Cathedral and the Misericordia church close by and the Grão Vasco Museum located inside a XVI century palace. From Viseu to the mountain top of Caramulo where is located the Museu do Caramulo www.museu-caramulo.net/there is only a 36 Km drive. The museum has a lovely car collection worth seeing and close by there is the Golden Tulip Caramulo Hotel https://caramulo.goldentulip.com/en-us/ occupying the building which used to be an old sanatorium.
    From Caramulo you can travel west to Aveiro(69 Km) and there catch the A8 or A1 motorways south to Cascais (280 Km)

Best regards

Mario
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow - that is really helpful, thank you very much. I am thinking of May/June next year for our tour! I will come back with some more questions I am sure, but this is a great start.

I hope we do manage to connect whilst we are in Lisbon.

Again many thanks for your response.

8. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi Nuno and Mario,

Are either of you in Lisbon at the moment (oct 19-21). If so pm me if you have time for coffee!

Best regards
    Dave

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hi Dave,

I hope you are enjoying your stay and I would love to have a coffee with you. Unfortunately I'm not in Lisbon this weekend and I only return by the beginning of next week. We have to leave it for another time but will keep in touch.

Best regards

Mario

10. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi Dave, I'm sorry I took this long to reply to your kind message and invitation. Regrettably, I was away on business. Are you still in Lisbon?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi Nuno and Mario,

We had a fantastic time in Lisbon - a wonderful city! The weather was perfect too! We spent a lot of the time in Cascais. Such a beautiful place! We will probably come back again next year, so hopefully we can coordinate next time. In the meantime if you are ever in the UK, drop me a line - there are a lot of interesting car things to do here!

Best regards

Dave

12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hi Dave,

I'm glad you've enjoyed your stay in Cascais and it was really a pity that we couldn't meet but as I mentioned to you before I was away while you were here. I look forward meeting you next year and if you'll drive your Ferraris here like you suggested I'm sure myself and Nuno we will arrange something to meet you and take our Ferraris along to put them side by side with yours.

Regards

Mario

13. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I echo Mário's sentiments and words. It will be my pleasure!

Kindest regards and thank you,

Nuno.

14. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    #14 db1, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Hi Mario and Nuno,

I am planning to come to the Estoril Classic in October. If you are around it would be great to meet up. Also do you have any recommendations as to where to stay that is convenient? I would probably hire a car for the time I am there.

Many regards.

Dave

15. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hi Dave,

I'm glad you're returning in October for the Estoril classic and if I'm not traveling then, like the last time you were here, it will be a pleasure to meet you. If you want to stay in the Estoril/Cascais/Sintra area I give you the names of four hotels I fancy:

Hotel da Penha Longa, in Sintra close to Estoril circuit

Hotel Albatroz, in Cascais

Hotel Farol, in Cascais

Regards

Mario

16. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Thanks Mario!

Hopefully it works out!

17. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi.

Turns out I am staying with friends who are also coming along. Will you both be there? Looks a great event.

If so we can PM contact details.

Best.
    Dave

18. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hi Dave,

I don't know yet what will be my October traveling schedule. From when until when will you be staying ?

Regards

Mario

19. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi Mario,

10th - 14th (evening). Hope it works out.

Dave