488 Pista - qualifying demands | FerrariChat

488 Pista - qualifying demands

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Doctor Mark, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Yesterday, I got a call from the local dealer telling me how Ferrari after initially turning me down for a Pista would now grant me the privilege of buying a Pista if I bought a GT car first e.g. Portofino. (While I have been an owner since 1974 the last new car I bought was a 458). After laughing briefly, and vocalizing where they could drive the Portofino, I passed on this great opportunity to buy a car I have no desire to own for the privilege of buying a car which due to the elevated price I no longer wish to own.
    They have some big balls.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Good for you! There are too many good cars out there to play these dealer games.

They can go pound sand with their demands.

3. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    That's crazy.

4. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Bravo !

5. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    They can't sell base 488's with the games and hype anymore, so time to turn up pressure in order to get rid of Peesta allocations. Pathetic, but not surprising.

They are down to calling 458 owners they sold to many moons ago. That's getting down the list to find a sucker.

rajaramsivasankar likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I was denied a Pista. Basically just blown off. If I get the call, I’ll politley tell them I’ve moved on to a different brand. Pista is great and all but not for 450k plus the privelage of buying a Portofino. No thanks.

7. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    I would never buy a car to be able to buy another car. TFOH with that.

BTDT, F2003-GA, Hawkeye and 3 others like this.
  8. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I have never found it profitable to insult a client.

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Especially clients with hundreds of thousands in disposable income. Its not limited to Ferrari. Porsche is right now just as bad if not worse!

Avia11, bcorner, BTDT and 5 others like this.
  10. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bravo to the op, and very sad that Ferrari is (still) trying this as competition has tighten up. Cudos to Mclaren and Lambo for not playing this silly games.

Are Ferrari living behind a stone trying to convince themselves there is no competition or wtf is going on...

mrmanny599 and SoCal to az like this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Our local Porsche dealers are complete jackasses. How people put up with the arrogance is beyond me. The GT cars are great but good lord, to be treated like a second class citizen because I didnt buy a 918. Go ahead and pamper the 918 918 owners and alienate thousands of others with your games. Im done with Porsche till they realize who their customer is.

Ferrari has been decent to work with in my area but still a bit arrogant. Tried to get a Pista allocation - no call back, no response. Just blown off. Ok I get it, you are busy with 100s of other richer customers than me. I can live with that- but the day will come where my income and car needs will grow, and Ill be less likely to want to buy from you cause of the way you treated me when I was poor and could "only afford a 300k car".

Mclaren - which I ended up buying- good folks. You have money- we have a car lets talk. No games so far. Been a relatively pleasant experience.

Lambo is the best. No waiting games, no lines, no inside track. Just treat everyone right. A buddy of mine bought a Performante, has a SVJ on order. He gets treated well now but has been treated well for the past 7 years as he was tire kicking and building up his business. Now that he can afford his cars, he goes to the brand that treats him well.

And before you say, well, a Ferrari is a Ferrari - please know I own a 488.
    And if we are going to talk about resale and depreciation - look at 488, F12 and California values on the secondary market. They arent much better than Mclaren, Lambo or any of the others.

Again - to the OP - good on you to tell them to pound sand. Go buy something else with your disposable income. Plenty of options out there to choose from.

BTDT, mrmanny599, daytona355 and 6 others like this.
  12. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Spot on reply. I have my .2 RS coming next month and it's going to be my last. I'm so tired of the BS. I got it at MSRP and my last three, but it's like pulling teeth and kissing ass at the same time. I'm done. I'm flipping it (I deserve the $30k for all the crap I put up with). Adios Porsche.

Ordered Performante for '19 March delivery and bought an Urus on the spot (which arrives next month) at my Lambo dealer who has ALWAYS treated me like a friend and human being. No BS, no ass kissing, no non-sense. Just helpful, fair pricing and as excited as I am about cars. It's a no brainer.

I voted with my pocketbook.

13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I had a great experience with McLaren but nothing like the experience I have had with Ferrari. I have never had a better retail experience anywhere. Seems UK is different to US. Hope it stays that way.

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I had a Touring and a .1 RS. RS I bought second hand. Touring I got an allocation at msrp. Good lord, you think they would have given me the keys to the kingdom with the nonsense I had to hear every time I walked in to the dealership- " you know, you are lucky to get this allocation. I had a customer that bought 2 million in cars from last year and he didnt get one"

So what? Is my cash less valuable than his? And you are just a crappy ass sales guy trying to make me feel guilty about my hard earned money? Have heard the same from many others regarding Porsche. When your .2 RS is marginally better than your .1 - the jig is up.

Good to know the same experiences with Lambo. While I cant get one cause I just dont fit well inside one- the Performante was at the top of the list for me.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    seems to be market dependent. Around here, if you arent spending 2 million a year on cars, you are a nobody. Its all good. I vote with my checkbook. Have no allegiance to any one brand. Will shop around and do what I can to find the best deal and experience.

16. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    That has been Ferrari’s playbook for some time. Most recently, you had to purchase a California T to get a 488. And you had to buy a Lusso if you wanted a Superfast. If you really want a Pista, you will be able to order one in a couple of years so just wait.

G. Pepper and SoCal to az like this.
  17. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Never had an issue with Ferrari in 10+ years and many cars. I buy in two geographies and even that has been a non-issue i.e. each dealer gives me equal attention. - I am no LaF guy (so not a top client) but just a car guy and Ferrari has been excellent. Again maybe my geography is easier than the op

JagShergill and RamsHmb like this.
  18. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    FWIW I never had issues like this before with Ferrari. I believe things have changed dramatically since the departure of Luca. Less passion in many of the cars, more BS and ever increasing pricing.
    After being blown off on my initial try for a Pista, I bought a McLaren 570S.
    No BS and a darn nice driving car.

19. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Mark - I hope you are well. Very enjoyable post. Ferrari seems to be the Kings of arrogance. No disrespect to the Mac but they just don't have the passion Ferrari does. Probably why they can pull the crap they do. IMO, Ferrari's best days are behind them. IMO, the 458 and 599 are the last of the truly awesome Ferrari's given the Pininfarina designs.

iloveferrari and Mbutner like this.
  20. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Still have my CS which is fun. First Mac I drove was a 650 which while fast had no passion. The 570 feels light and alive and buying a CPO car at 50k off original sticker made it real easy to change brands. Still love Ferrari but more the earlier cars. Most of the new stuff, LE aside, are a fast yawn. Great performance but not much fun at anywhere legal speeds. Sorry Dave but I also do not miss the sticky interior parts.
    I knew it was over for me when Ferraris came with cup holders, cruise control and infotainment systems. LOL.

SoCal to az likes this.
  21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    No offense taken. It's absolutely BS that these cars have sticky interiors. Just remember, we are not the disease, we are the cure.

22. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I agree with you Dave. A lot has been said about the ease of getting a McLaren, a Lambo, etc. I think the simple matter is that those brands have more supply than demand. Because of this, Ferrari has created an environment that makes you feel that there are limited numbers of cars available and if you want to jump to the front of the cue you have to buy something in advance. I do, however, believe relative to demand that there are limited numbers of cars that are available in the near term, perhaps 1-2 years. But for sure, they will be more freely available shortly thereafter.

Dave rocks likes this.
  23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've watched this play out with incredulity. The real killer to me was having to buy a Lusso to get an 812. You really have to be willing to take a depreciation bath on a 2+2 to buy one, so it's a royal shaft.

F2003-GA, taz355 and daytona355 like this.
  24. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    you would think the sell side analysts and all the institutional holders would love to know the dynamics and fundamentals behind the buyers....

GuyIncognito likes this.
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What are the chances you will do it again? Buy a car just to be able to buy a car? I would argue slim to none. Most people just move on. But I’m sure Ferrari has a line of people wanting to play the game. It’s why they do it.

G. Pepper likes this.