Would you buy a 575 HGTC with no or very little history ? | FerrariChat

Would you buy a 575 HGTC with no or very little history ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Shahz, Oct 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shahz

Shahz Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    Geneva / Dubai
    Full Name:
    Shahz. K.
    Im considering this stunning black on black 575M 2004 factory HGTC, carbon fiber racing seats, relatively decent mileage (12500mi / 20000km)
    First delivered in Europe, Ferrari dealer in that particular country confirms the car was delivered to them and subsequently sold to an end user but due to their IT system's upgrade 5 years ago, pre-2012 data is not available anymore, post 2012 there is little stuff (oil change, battery, break pads etc.)

Car was inspected by an independent garage and the report is let's say positive (no accident etc.)
    Car's condition looks very good but then there is this few years gap (they lost the original service book...) but the price is very decent, 35% below market value...

What would you do ?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Buy it in a flash and then have a complete fluid and filter change done, with cambelts if the dates on the belts are older than 5 years.

Shahz, wbklink and 350MH83 like this.
  3. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I dont understand why everyone gets brainwashed on here about service records
    If you like the car get a very good PPI and know what you are buying. Then you can start from scratch and accumulate all the service records you like
    The main issue is a good PPI.

technom3, Nuvolari and JimEakin like this.
  4. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    yeap. who cares about the records that's older than 4 years ? you are gonna need cam belt service even if you have record shows it was done 5 years ago anyway.

motts likes this.
  5. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    It comes from watching too many reality tv car shows

technom3 likes this.
  6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bell- Not sure what you are trying to say, but if she has a belt service within the last five years and nothing is leaking, waiting for the five year point is fine.

7. Shahz

Shahz Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    Geneva / Dubai
    Full Name:
    Shahz. K.
    Thank you very much for the feedbacks.
    Actually my Ferrari dealer said you won't be able to sell after easily if you dont have full service record etc. ... so he scared me ...
    To be honest I dont have one Ferrari dealers invoice or something that anything was done ... there are certainly some very good garages (non-Ferrari) where services can be done but that was in my eyes the only issue with the car.

8. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    So the dealer who makes most of their profit servicing cars said you need to service the car to sell it?

Fox/hen house?

You can tell a great car from a good car from a bad car by looking at it. Oringal paint? Interior? Motor. Suspension. Tight or loose?

Sure it’s better to have records but that does not change the condition of the car.

Shahz likes this.
  9. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Funny that the dealer is telling you its hard to resell if you don't have full service records yet dealers now tell you they can't release prior service records anymore due to privacy issues

bellwilliam, JimEakin and Shahz like this.
  10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I bought mine with only relatively recent service documentation, and to be completely honest I know enough about these cars to only be concerned with that anyway. It’s cool to know all about your car, but far from a requirement. I think that’s mostly what you’ll hear from this crowd, and we likely represent a decent percentage of the people who buy these things, so...do it!! :)

Shahz likes this.
  11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My 456M had no service history... until I restored it to perfection. Then it had all the history anyone could want. :)

bergxu, 308 GTB, Shahz and 2 others like this.
  12. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Thats what I'm talkin 'bout!

bergxu, Shahz and G. Pepper like this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Of course service history impacts resale. Rightly or wrongly, the pool of people who will consider buying the car will be reduced if a car doesn't have service history. That doesn't mean the car isn't great, or that you shouldn't buy this car, though, especially if has checked out and the price really is 35% under market price, although I don't know how you are calculating market price, as I haven't seen sale prices of any HGTCs recently.

bergxu likes this.
  14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Much more true in the UK where the train spotter mindset is still very much in evidence. Not as much in the rest of the world. Service histories are helpful, but the car is the same, service history or not. Bringing a Ferrari back with a complete service, much like Bradan does, resets the clock.

15. Shahz

Shahz Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    Geneva / Dubai
    Full Name:
    Shahz. K.
    G. Pepper likes this.
  16. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Congratulations Shahz. The HGTC cars are too few and far between to be too particular. If it’s correctable and the big items check out it’s buy or wait possibly for years for another. A mistake I made early on. Enjoy!
    Bill
    FL

Shahz likes this.