Mr. Glickenhaus | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Mr. Glickenhaus

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dilusha, Aug 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Nice degree of understatement there :D I actually sort of miss clicking on a thread from someone trying to fix an electrical gremlin on a 308, wondering how far I'll have to scroll before getting to a JG post with photos of P4/5 and a story about the time he was telling Miles Davis about getting a beejer from a drunk Countess in the back of a Deusenberg owned by General Ludendorff where he coined the phrase B!tches Brew, which Miles stole for his latest album title.

2. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    How does his SCG003 compare to your SRSG-1? Just curious.

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Do Mr Glickenhaus's other endeavours give him the right to pass his fake P4 off as the real 0846? Just curious.

bonneau13, technom3 and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    You must be so proud.

There’s not enough good scotch in the world to make you fun.

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    You tend to forget 0846 was only really the subject of a certain posters attention after Jim and others expressed an opinion the same poster did not like about the 0858 thread. Its very hard to find someone who had in his profile "looking to be employed a Ferrari sales person" or something to that effect impartial at all. The crusade that followed was ridiculous in the extreme and in my view poorly handled by the moderators in my opinion But hey we don't have JG posting about his cars, instead we have some self appointed expert to yawn at.

I would have thought the former and his perspective would be of value to this forum, instead the latter now as a soap box to croon off.

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Let's be very clear, JG knew for a very long time that his "0846" is exactly what David Piper sold him, a non-factory recreation. Maybe at some point JG actually did believe it was possible he had the remnants of the real thing but as the truth became evident he just continued to go full steam ahead. All evidence to the contrary was just irrelevant.

This does not diminish how special his other Ferraris are and the extent to which he goes to preserve them. Each of them without any cloud of provenance.

What Steve managed to accomplish was to provide highly detailed evidence for the peanut gallery to finally comprehend that someone was perpetrating a hoax upon them. The degree to which he scoured for historical photos and then made the extensive comparison was a monumental effort. And, what did he receive from way too many? Ridicule.

For way too many of you who are jumping on Steve, what you know about "0846" from reading on FChat is only a portion of the story. Way, way more was going on in the background out of your view. Some of it was very disturbing and does reasonably lead to questions of underlying character.

As for making Modulo functional. Part of what this reveals is that Modulo was created as a "push mobile" show car with no intent to actually solve the issues to become be a real car. Can't say if there never was any intention to develop it further or if Pininfarina just ran out of interest, time and/or funds. My speculation is that it purpose was to display a level of design creativity only. It does remind me of how much of an effort it was to make Pinin into a functional car although that one may have been intended to be a push mobile with a distinct possibility of getting development since it was far closer to real world.

Nospinzone, miurasv and Texas Forever like this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

The artisans could be employed with more sympatehtic restorations, which are probably harder to do right.

I woudl go furtehr and say, that especialy when it comes to race cars, we should be building and seriously racing recreations while preserving whatever authentic period originality is left for museums and concors. That way even more artisans are employed.

8. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Great line. I'm stealing it.

LARRYH likes this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Given all the "noise" about this car, one would have to be functionaly illiterate not to know of the questions surrounding its provenance, both the pros and the cons. Jim can certainly put his best interests and the cars best points forwards. At that point its up to the buyer to decide what its worth and what to pay. I think various GTOs sell at various prices based on any number of historical issues too.

Now in todays info world if a "collector" buys any multi million dollar blue chip car without knowledge of its history, then frankly they deserve what they get and such a person is imo no collector, meerly wealthy enough to write a check and seek attention for such.

Even in the modern car era we saw someone paying what nearly 800k for a 599 because it had a stick. I'm willing to bet that this person had a check list, v12 check, front engined check, manual check,...

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FYI Jim as of today still stands 100% behind 0846 that it is real as evidenced by FIVA and ASI certifications.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Nailed it!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yep

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Which both combined still equal a great big zero.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Since this isn’t all about 0846 this thread, can you explain any controversies with the #002 and Ford GT he owns?

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I've been to his house. He is one of the great self promoters with a lack for oratory. Always sounded to me as press A for clip 1, press B for clip 2.

He has some great cars and drives them, but so does Tony Wang and many others. The vintage race circuits are full of guys driving great stuff hard, Jim never did. He would take his stuff out on the street and tool around, which is cool and would get him in mags and on TV. I don't miss what he became.

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I just spit my drink out all over my keyboard... it was worth it... it was worth it

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Im lost... the crusade that followed was ridiculous in the extreme and poorly handled... yeilded the truth... and yet we are upset about it? im not sure what the rub is. The car isn't what he says it is and still says it is. How are you not upset about that yet are mad about Steve who had NOTHING TO GAIN... when JG had maybe 20 plus million to gain. I don't follow the logic here...

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I agree with you. In my opinion its not the douchey owners that are at fault its the douchey judges. If the judges penalized the over restored cars than it wouldn't be sought after for prize nor fortune. Problem solved.

Yes I do agree factory correct restorations are far more difficult but again... and you don't have to agree with me... sometimes you have to go with what pays the bills. Plus... it is an art to assemble a car without scratching it. The perfection is also art and can be appreciated. just my opinion

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I know it seems like all I do is poo on the guy. I actually don't mean to come across that way. His p4/5 is really really cool. One of my favorite modern cars for sure! It would be an absolute dream to do that! Im not a fan of his race car/kit car/ whatever you want to call it... but its still a MAJOR MAJOR accomplishment! Its cool he is out chasing his dreams and even making them come true. Not many people get to do that in life. Lucky man.

miurasv likes this.
  20. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you never read the original threads, which I didn't, this whole topic is the gift that keeps giving.
    I'm new to the subject but it seems like all sides need to relax a little bit. It's only a car.

21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Didn't he also claim that Ferrari copied p4/5 for the LaFerrari? He's told a few whoppers I think, problem is on 0846 he got caught and wouldn't let it go, and indeed is still trying to pass it off as the real thing. Other problem is people giving him a pass on it.

22. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    JG's opinion is different, and I get that. He has something that's a part of what he claims, even if it's not the whole as much as he would like it to be.
    I'm not the one who posted the video of his SCG003 within this in an attempt to taint it with the questions surrounding 0846, however relevant they are to 0846, and 0846 only. YOU extended your assessment and expertise to what he's created beyond 0846, not me.
    So, how's your SRSG-1 compare, since you brought it up?

23. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #173 JAM1, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    That's really what it comes down to. Let's say Gentry, Allan Lambo, Matteo, or even some of the less notorious members of this forum posted the same story line about the replica '0846' that JG has insisted on over the years. Would any of those who continue to stand by Jim to this day have supported or defended any of those people had it been one of them telling the same tale JG has/does?

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I have no dog in this fight. I’m only contributing because of the reference to Miles Davis. Miles Davis’s excesses have been well documented by numerous other sources. While it is possible Jim is remembering his encounters with Davis as being wilder than they were, we have to also remember Miles was totally out of control for a long time. While there are some questions about the cocaine in the Miura story, some of Davis’s drug fueled escapades were very public, and equally over the top.

rob lay likes this.
  25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #175 miurasv, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    I posted the video to show that JG still claims to this day his proven fake P4 is 0846 in the video, NOT to taint SCG003. See from about 24 seconds. I also posted a link to his new web site where he states he owns 0846.

He does not have "something" that's a part of what he claims. He has nothing, absolutely nothing, and it has been proved.

And another thing since you brought the video up: Was it actually Andrea Pininfarina's idea to make a modern interpretation of a P3/4 based on an Enzo and not Glickenhaus's idea as he claims? Sam Posey in a Road & Track article seems to think so here: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a8094/exclusive-drive-james-glickenhaus-ferrari-p45-by-pininfarina-p45-competizione/