Removing 430 Capristo Exhaust Brackets | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Removing 430 Capristo Exhaust Brackets

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, Aug 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    yep thats exactly what I did (eventually)

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Stock brackets with upgraded manifolds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The stock forward brackets are a rigid attachment point. Without some ability to expand when the exhaust system heats up and expands the stock brackets crack and the headers are put under more stress and also have more chance of cracking. 07 F430, I replaced my OEM cracked headers with the OEM MK2 headers at 12,000 and after 4 cracked / broken brackets I went with the Capristo brackets at 18,000. The stock brackets cracked with the MK2 headers also. Now at 35,400 and still on the MK2 headers and the Capristo brackets are not causing any rattles or vibrations. I did replaced the stock Capristo nuts that came with the brackets soon after installation with a higher quality locking nut. The nuts supplied were not up for the task and loosened up after a short period of driving. I have not had to readjust the brackets since installing the new nuts 15,000 miles ago.

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    where did you get the bolts? local hardware store etc or did you get something specific?

5. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I used the Capristo bolts and picked up the nuts at a specialty nut and bolt place locally. I have some extras if you PM me a mailing address I will send you a few.

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thats very kind of you. If we have trouble locating some i will let u know! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    if you use the OEM mounts just use the rear ones only, not the side brackets, they are not necessary

jo.e likes this.
  8. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    My Tubi sport exhaust looks exactly the same. Two separate units on each side.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lordy - i think im just gonna live with the vibrations!

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You need the capristo brackets with their manifolds, I don’t have any rattles, knocks or problems with mine- you just need to get the spring tensions right and remove the own brackets

jo.e likes this.
  11. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Back in the 70's when it was hard to find locking nuts locally (and of course forget about Google!), we used to use two nuts to lock things together.

I did that old school style with my Capristo mounts and 6 years later, hasn't loosened a bit, even when I used Anti-Seize on the nuts.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

HersheyE and Red 27 like this.
  12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
  13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Look up R S Componients online, then search Aerotight nuts. Stock no. 0530696. These are the metal version of nylock nuts and will take the temperature of your exhaust bolts.

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #66 ttforcefed, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    dave, mike and richard, any further updates over the past 18 months? i'm just getting around to this now on my 06. should i keep the capristo brackets (also have cap headers) and solve the problem with the stated nuts? have they held up?

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have this past week removed the oem ferrari exhaust box and tail pipes to replace with a Capristo system. To do this i had to remove the Capristo expansion brackets i had fitted for the oem system. During the years i had these fitted with the ferrari bits i had no problem with them.
    The Capristo box needs expansion brackets but while the same design, the ones that fitted the oem box do not fit the Capristo box. If you look on the 430 section from last week i posted some pics of the Capristo installation which shows the expansion brackets in place.
    If you fit these brackets, then fit standard nuts in place of the self lock nuts they supply- reason being these are 1 time use nuts so if you make a mistake and take them off they will not lock the next time. Once u r sure you have it correct fit the locking nuts.

18. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I bought the OEM Ferrari Sport Exhaust (Tubi) like Jgivoo which has the expandable mounts which work far better than the Capristo ones. However the stock rear mount for the standard OEM exhaust is fine as long as you remove the Gearbox side U brackets

19. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I just turned 39K and the MK2s are still going strong with the Capristo brackets.

AandSC likes this.
  20. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Has anyone here put the upgraded OEM brackets (not Fabspeed) and MK2 exhaust? Just curious, it seems many who have had the MK2 manifolds have the old brackets.

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I wasn't aware that there are Mk2 rear brackets as well as Mk2 manifolds. I have Mk2 manifolds/headers, but how do I tell if I have Mk2 rear brackets?

This debate is very helpful but is it just me or is it inconclusive..is there a herd view on whether the best solution is to a) remove the lower half of the OEM bracket b) fit the Capristo rear bracket c) fit a OEM sports exhaust (expensive?) or d) fit the Mk2 OEM rear bracket whose existence I didn't know about til just now?

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I know my local Ferrari dealer has always recommended those with MK2 exhaust manifolds to use Capristo brackets as well, to ensure their longevity.

Themaven likes this.
  23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so just an update - turns out my vibration wasnt from the capristo brackets - it was from one of the mufflers being clogged and cracking a pipe...so i replaced the mufflers with another set of oem ones i had...shld have the car back this week.

24. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #74 RichardCH, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    just remove the STUPID GEARBOX U clamps and you will be totally fine whatever set up you have, its hardly surprising that these also break over time. OR of course you can follow the thermal dynamics experts @ Fabspeed and buy an even more robust pair of crack my headers gearbox u clamps !

xtLSport, RedTaxi and ttforcefed like this.
  25. xtLSport

xtLSport Karting

Dec 18, 2019
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    C.L.
    Hello guys, interesting thread... I have a 07 F430, how can I know if I have mk1 or mk2 headers?
    I removed the factory U brackets attached to the gearbox. All rest is standard. Should I be fine like this?