Halo 2017 | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Halo 2017

Discussion in 'F1' started by Kiwi Nick, May 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm not saying to turn the halo into a canopy; it would look exactly like it does now, but hinged at one end and latched at the other.

2. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FIA to investigate first on-track Halo incident

MAY 14, 2018

The FIA will investigate the first incident that may have prevented the injury of a driver due to the controversial 'Halo' concept.

In Barcelona, a clash of wheels during the F2 race saw the car of a rival strike against the Halo of Japanese driver Tadasuke Makino.

Photos of the Makino car afterwards showed rubber marks on the Halo.

"Yes, we will conduct an investigation," confirmed FIA race director Charlie Whiting.

"Judging from the pictures we saw, it seems that if it was not for Halo, the consequences could have been severe. But this is only my initial conclusion.

"However, the marks on the Halo start just at the point where the load was doubled during the system tests. So even if his life was not threatened, it is clear that the consequences of the incident could have been worse," he added.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Arrgh. Not the news I was hoping to hear. What a horror scenario if they decide to keep the halo beyond this year. :(

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

And another Halo save.....Spa 2018....Charles LeClerc. I'll admit, I hated the darn thing when it first came out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/formula-1-gran-premio-de-espana-emirates-2018-race-spoilers.575877/page-13 [post #307]

G. Pepper and Finlander like this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm not convinced Alonso's car would have hit Leclerc given his being under the roll bar. Halo was not intended to help an over the top car. It was intended to stop a wheel entering the cockpit from the front.

A wheel can still drop straight down on top of the driver's head with halo.

I'm not saying halo is worthless. I'm saying I'm not convinced it made any difference in this particular accident

The halo got damaged because the halo was there.

Marcopolo3382, Ryan..., fil and 4 others like this.
  6. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
  7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Here's a super slo-mo and replays of Alonso/LeClerc Spa 2018 courtesy of SkySports

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I fully agree. Also keep in mind that both cars where traveling the same direction at roughly the same speed (especially after initial impact), thus a lot of the energy is dissipated, even if there was contact (sans HALO), it wouldn't be much different than the Wurz/Webber crash in 2007 Australia. Same goes for the F2 crash in Barcelona...a lot of noise was made of it (''he'd certainly have been heavily injured or even killed!!'' some claimed), a lot of noise will be made of this one. I'm not convinced.

What you say is exactly right, where the HALO will make a real difference is if there's an accident and a wheel bounces across and happens to hit the HALO, that'll save a life no questions asked. I'm not sure we can really even say about random parts flying as quite simply that never happens in F1, almost 100% of the time those parts are flying away from where the cars are going to be. In Indycar (see Justin Wilson's sad death), the parts fly about in the same place where the cars drive (on ovals). F1 doesn't drive on a (partial) oval so such an incident is pretty much unheard of. Massa's accident was pretty much once in a lifetime type freakshow.

All that said, the HALO doesn't bother me all that much. Sure the cars are far prettier without it but hey ho. The day a tyre does bounce and comes in contact is the day a life is saved. Plenty of tendons that hold them on, but even they can fail, or not work at all if a wheel is not secured properly.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I just wonder how the aeroshield would have held up in the same situation.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I still prefer having no halo on the car. It's just too ugly. If you want safety, ban the races.

fil likes this.
  11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Brandon Hartleys On-board (LeClerc is to the left of the screen..slo-mo)

Brutal perspective of Ferando Alonso's accident Spa 2018

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Check out this -- Leclerc front camera facing backwards at the time of the accident

You can clearly see the tire didn't get near his helmet and that if it dropped on top of the halo it would have hit his head. It's possible his hands were protected though.

I still don't believe halo did anything to help this time because of the location of the roll bar to the driver's helmet-- but it could for sure help in another type of event.

Bas likes this.
  13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah it wouldn't have hit his head. The car went over him from behind. The halo actually got in the way a bit. It would really only help to stop something from coming from out in front like a tire.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You prefer shards of cracked plastic raining down on him?

15. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Bas, Finlander, maulaf and 1 other person like this.
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There was a greater risk that the camera would come crashing down on the top of the helmet than the tire.

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Maybe it worked/maybe is wan't really a factor, but I'm glad it was there.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The FIA regs under section 15.2 "roll structure" changed between 2017 and 2018 due to the halo.

2017 https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110:

Here's an image that most are likely aware of when those two points are connected with a straight edge like rod to ensure a driver meets the rules. Although that rule was mainly for inverted situations, Alonso's car's flat bottom simulates the ground in an inverted situation so it should not have violated that plane on the direction it was coming from (behind, front is a different story but I don't see how that would happen on a start like that). http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/Images/rool_hoops_f1_measurement.jpg

jgonzalesm6 and G. Pepper like this.
  19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Looking at that video, Alonso's car was rotating mid air, and it was the Halo that stopped his left front tyre rotating eny further and going nearer LeClerc's head. Yes LeClerc sits a long way back, and I'm sure the engineers will be looking at it and figuring out whether contract would have been made if the Halo wasnt there.

Whether the tyre would have contacted his head or not, it would have been a very close thing; and looking at the damage to the Halo, if the tyre had made contact with his head, he would have been in serious trouble. I'm no structural engineer, but to inflict that much damage to the Halo must have taken serious amount of energey which you just would not want to see applied to somebodies head.

I agree the the Halo is ugly and there migth be other "solutions" but without it I'm not sure LeClerc would have walked out of that car, so its is worth it.

jgonzalesm6 and G. Pepper like this.
  20. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  21. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FIA to study Halo after Leclerc incident

AUGUST 28, 2018

Charles Leclerc, Belgian GP 2018

Supporters of the controversial 'Halo' safety innovation say a crash at Spa vindicated the decision to introduce it.

Tyre marks and damage to the Halo was visible on Charles Leclerc's Sauber after a scary air-borne crash involving Fernando Alonso last Sunday.

Some say the Halo obviously saved the Monaco-born rookie's life.

"I've never been a big fan of Halo, but I have to say I was incredibly happy to have it over my head in this case," said Leclerc.

Alonso agreed: "Not that we needed proof, but this accident shows that Halo is a good thing."

2016 world champion Nico Rosberg declared: "We can end the Halo discussion now. It will save lives."

And former F1 driver Mika Salo told Finland's MTV: "The camera footage I saw shows that Halo was the right solution."

However, FIA race director Charlie Whiting says the discussion about Halo will actually go on.

"To say that a serious injury was prevented would be speculation," he said. "But it doesn't take too much imagination to think that the tyre marks on the Halo could have been on Charles' helmet."

Whiting said the FIA will now collect all the data from the incident.

"We have countless pictures and recordings, which we will now take a close look at. We will also check if the attachment of the Halo was affected by the impact.

"We want to learn as many lessons as possible from this incident," he said.

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I applaud Whiting for taking a purely scientific/engineering approach to this accident and the data it provided.

I bet the reality is that the halo had little positive net effect in this accident and thus can't be used for defending this monstrosity.

23. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    If it is proven with data that the halo had little to no role in saving the drivers life in this incident, do people REALLY think the FIA would release that information? Really?

The halo is vital and brilliant at saving drivers lives, even if in fact it isn't. Get used to that PR.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm still holding out hope that the FIA will abolish the Halo after a couple of years. I see its main purpose in squelching the lawsuit raised by Bianchi's family against the FIA. So they can say they did something blablabla. And as the formula evolves it suddenly becomes less necessary due to new aero rules blablabla and it vanishes. Granted my hope is bigger than my realism, but hope is all we have at this point.

25. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Yes.

They might manipulate the results of races but safety is their no 1 message and if the Halo didn't do it's job they will look to improve it.