** New to me 1989 348TS (photo heavy) ** | FerrariChat

** New to me 1989 348TS (photo heavy) **

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dalema, Aug 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    So - here she is - my (new) 1989 348TS! Sorry for all the photos, but I’m really loving the lines on this 348.

Some of you may remember the car / me from BAT, the auction where there were minimal photos and the seller didn’t respond once to any questions.

During the auction I talked to the seller on the phone - the guy just didn’t do technology, but was happy to talk just as much as you like. Turns out he was a small time dealer selling the car for the first owner. He talked me through every aspect of the car, and swore it was spotless. Online the car was really poorly represented by the photos he posted.

I didn’t think I was going to get the car with the bid I ended with, as he told me what he wanted for it - which was a decent amount higher. When I talked to him after he told me he made a mistake with the reserve.

As there wasn’t much info online about the car, the seller was kind enough to let me do a PPI before paying for the car (post purchase inspection ;) ). I was lucky enough to find John from IFS Ferrari - who was extremely helpful. Turns out John actually drove this car off the truck when it was first delivered to Autohaus Ferrari back in 1989! Said it was the first 348 they sold. So, let’s just say he was very familiar with the car.

Inspection noted minimal issues - sticky bits, a slight leak from the gear box on the right and a small dent. The seats were a little tired, but he felt they would come back to life with a little TLC.

With the deal done, a few weeks later it was in my garage. The car is exceptional! The paint work is in great condition (will need a detail for some swirls), and the underside is flawless - amazingly clean.

I’ve had the fluids changed, and the spark plugs need changing, along with new tires (were dated 1999!) My mechanic here believes it is a great car with all the original pieces, down to the stickers under the hood. One of the cleanest he has seen. He said it is the earliest model he has seen, with some early quirks like the 2.5 Motronics, no buttons or check engine light to check the OBD, exhaust with separate resonater underneath etc.

Anyway, it has only been driven 11K miles and less than 150 in the last 4 years - so I’ve taken it on a couple of decent drives along Skyline with my son. Steering is fantastic - you can feel every undulation in the road, particularly when it hooks up coming out of a corner. Engine just zips - revs so freely and with a great sound. Just a great feeling and driving car.

Looking forward to making many new memories in this beauty.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Awesome good score ;)
    Actually the amount of pictures you posted may be less than, someone else on here would post.
    They are exciting cars, sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun so congrats.

3. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Glad you have checked in here, Matt! Looks like a beauty, great score!

Now, was I right, or was I right? :)

4. EDVTEC

EDVTEC Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Eduardo Caro
    I am never feel tired of seeing pictures of this beatiful car.

Congrats!

5. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    Thanks! Definitely having a lot of fun in it so far.

It cut me off at 10 photos!

6. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    Thanks!

7. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    Haha! Yes - super glad I went through with that - thanks for the shove ;)

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow looks great, enjoy it. Definitely envious. Congratulations!

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Outstanding! :cool: Congratulations! :D

And we're ready for more pictures. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.