NASCAR 2018 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2018

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by kylec, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Those who've been paying attention to the NASCAR threads in F-Chat for the past 15 or so years now
    may directly trace their self-inflicted fall from the top of the American sports world to what was being discussed openly in here way back then.

Not content to stick with the formula that made NASCAR a great unique American sport, they were
    seduced by the huge TV dollars flowing in and the calls from uneducated "fans" to spice things up
    with ridiculous ever changing rules, "The Chase", the "COT", segmented races, phantom yellows,
    et.al.

They basically told their fan base that made NASCAR that they don't count any more. They wanted
    "new" fans because the ones that got them there weren't good enough. So, they adopted arcane
    rules that are hybrids taken from the NFL and professional wrestling and tried to apply them to
    racing all while making the pronouncements that they want to control a virtual monopoly over
    all of racing.

The result? Races which used to be packed to the rafters with spectators now mostly empty and
    TV ratings declining at an incredible rate.

Back 10-15 years ago, NASCAR had staunch defenders in the F-Chat racing forums. Those whom
    told us that they knew what was really going on behind the scenes but wouldn't impart that knowledge
    to us down in the courtyard. They tried to tell us that NASCAR cars are every bit as relevant and technically
    advanced as any open wheel or sports car, all this.

But, where are those voices now? Seems to me we haven't heard from them for a least two and a half
    years now.

BHW

2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    45 cars going 500+/- miles per race vs. 20 cars going 180 miles per race.

I'm not mathematician but, uh, what was my point?

BHW

tifoso2728 likes this.
  4. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Here is the thing that really bugs me about NASCAR. I have gone to the races out here as long as I have lived out here with the exception of the last 2 years (8 of 10). The cost has become crazy. That and then I see the race on TV and there are very few bodies in the seats? What's wrong with this picture that they don't understand? They had to dump gravel all over the "cheap" seats out here so it didn't look so empty, then put banners all over it. Why not lower the price of your stupid tickets and get people back in the seats. NASCAR caters to a lower income group of people yet prices them out of seeing the races, yea that's smart................I am not rich, I do live comfortable but I won't pay stupid prices for ANY events NASCAR included.

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    F1 is doing the same thing. Pricing themselves out of their core audience. Common answer to empty stands across all sports is the remove a large number of the stands.

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Do they really pour gravel on the seats to make them look occupied? That's a new one, hadn't
    heard before.

Really strange but believable seeing has how at Daytonner, they painted the seats all different colors
    to make it look like people are sitting in them, particularly effective for the 24 Hours.

Even going back to the 80's, IMSA was keenly aware of the empty grandstand seats at Daytona for
    their blue ribband event. I met with then Communications Director Lynn Myfelt when IMSA had their
    offices in Tampa to show her some of my photo work and her commenting on some of the Daytona
    images was, "Tsk, all those empty seats" as if there was any getting around it.

My comeback, being a bit of a snarky smart ass at the time, was "Well, I'd be happy to draw in some
    people but that costs extra!".

BHW

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think he's referring to removing grandstands, putting down gravel to "landscape" it, and/or covering them up with billboard-sized sponsor banners.

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Watkins Glen....these road course races were a lot more fun when there were wild cards like JV, Boris Said and Marcus Ambrose.

9. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    This, this exactly!

U2 in Nashville at the arena where sound is terrible. They wanted $450 for the seats that I normally sit in. Massive fan, but after looking at set lists I easily passed.

Same venue, same seats and we’re seeing Panic at the Disco for $75 each. More than happy to pay that number.

Iffy on Elton John at U2 concerts, but the only time I saw him was at COTA.

Ticket prices in general are out of this world. I use to see the Predators play for $20-$50 now it’s twice that. I’d rather watch at home, save the money for a long vacation.

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yeah, and every time one of those road course "ringer" drivers found himself in the lead of any
    of those races, NASCAR found a way to be sure that he wasn't the winner.

I point to Ron Fellows who had the Watkins Glen round covered before NASCAR started with
    their "phantom yellow" nonsense so one of their good ol' boy drivers, think it was Mark Martin
    in this case, got into the lead and won the race.

The NASCAR nonsense is never more on display than it is on the road courses. A complete
    waste of time to watch.

BHW

11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I would usually watch the Daytona 500 as it was the unofficial opener to the racing season's new year. But, when Danica Patrick magically snagged pole on her first attempt, I could no longer stomach the Nascar phony baloney. But at least some you have attended the races. I say good for you. They never appealed to me so much to drive to a distant track and buy the ticket. On the other side of the coin, I had no problem driving to Watkins Glen in the '70's and Detroit in the 80's and Indianapolis in the '00's for F1. And, those Indy F1 tix were not cheap.

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    While not having kept up with ticket prices for NASCAR events, if they've risen that dramatically
    over the years, little wonder fans are staying away.

It wasn't that long ago, you could go do the Daytonner 500 for $25.00, have a seat in the grandstand
    and walk around the paddock. Evidently those days are over.

When I was in college there 1987-89, a friend's girlfriend ended up with tickets to the 500, evidently
    given to her. She knew I liked racing so she offered them to me for $500/ea. The response was
    "Thanks but no thanks" even though I lived within walking distance to DIS. When Speedweeks was
    happening, the whole town got turned upside down. Traffic was impossible and my route to college
    was cut off effectively making what was a five minute drive a forty five minute ordeal, so I evacuated
    during 500 weekend.

The one Daytonner 500 and lone NASCAR race I ever attend was when I was a kid back in 1976 with
    my sister and brother in law. Can't remember how that all came about but my brother in law seemed
    to be able to get tickets to just about anything. So, we were there for the famous Richard Petty/David Pearson
    last lap, last corner tangle.

BHW

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I noticed a couple of those "billboard-sized sponsor banners" during the Hungarian Grand Prix.....

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Anyway, congrats to Chase Elliott for finally winning a Cup race. Ironic that he does it on a road course.

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    great win for Chase. He and Hendrick Motorsports got that monkey off their backs :)

16. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I watched some of practice on Saturday but apparently shopping at Wal-Mart yesterday was more important than the race for me.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Isobel and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    NASCAR statement on the arrest of CEO Brian France:

“We are aware of an incident that occurred last night and are in the process of gathering information. We take this as a serious matter and will issue a statement after we have all of the facts.”

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #195 GuyIncognito, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    JC is the designated driver!

Well, it certainly explains some things. Notably, why he was acting so strangely
    towards Earnhardt, Jr. Jr. Jr. and Truex at the NASCAR awards last year.

He acted as though it was the last place in the world he wanted to be and blew
    by them as if they weren't there.

I don't wish ill on anyone really.

BHW

Isobel likes this.
  21. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Living the life of the idle rich and posting fake news on Facebook, duh!

GuyIncognito likes this.
  22. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Isobel likes this.
  23. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Staff may want to cash their cheques early. Honestly, would you give NASCAR three more years?

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    There's still plenty of money in the bank there, staff shouldn't be too worried about that.

The fake wood paneled walled offices in Daytonner are loaded to the rafters with Frances. They're
    still in control of the situation and when one moves out of the spotlight, there are likely a dozen
    more to step in and take over.

Of course, as they learned in Indianapolis, all this nepotism sometimes isn't a good thing but
    for the France family, they still very much want to control a monopoly over all of racing and
    will stop at nothing to achieve this goal.

Brian's issues are a bump in the road really. They'll keep right on spoiling the very business that
    their grandfather built and making a joke of what once was a unique American sport.

BHW

Isobel and 375+ like this.