Sold - for sale 2009 Maserati Gran Turismo sport | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sold for sale 2009 Maserati Gran Turismo sport

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by PATLEW, Jul 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    said everyone that has one, but no one that doesnt. Special cars.

2. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Would you post a picture of the emissions certificate? I would need to see what it says to make it California eligible ...

Thanks

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Not the owner, but I do like these cars...out of curiosity, what makes you think this car is not simply a 50-state car? Is there some special reason why this car would be different than any other modern car sold in the USA or are modern cars often sold as 49-state compliant only? (honest question, I've not ever thought about this issue for modern cars that were built for and sold in the USA. I was very close to buying a car identical to this one and bringing it to CA back in 2012, but didn't even think of this question...)

4. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    The reason is not unlike several of the exotic brands or limited editions.... One of the things I like about the car is the scarcity given the transmission installed. There aren't more because DOT was going to require a separate crash test although the structure and body were the same. Crash Tests are expensive and so is emission testing. With few cars ever brought to the US and given the transmission is different CA would have required it's own testing and or a fee and process to demonstrate that the emission standards met also could be approved by CA. The CARB approval is required on things from high performance air cleaner boxes to identical replacement exhaust components. Many manufacturers produce components that will pass but the process and testing cost to much. I can bring a car in without the original approval but it's easier if it has one..... I've learned the expensive way ....

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting to read. I had to go look at what WA rules are on this and they say that 2009 or newer "NEW" cars have to be CA compliant but if it's a used car that has been previously registered and has more than 7,500 miles it doesn't have to meet CA standard. Odd.

6. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    FWIW, I bought mine from Ferrari of Seattle and registered it in CA without any issues.

7. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    This car is completely stock and I apologize for not searching for the label I travel extensively. If you can tell me where to find this I will search it out when I get back Friday afternoon. I do know it passes NC emissions standards and agree it should be a 50 state compliance system. Currently in the Great State of Texas on Riverwalk San Antonio heading to Lubbock Texas by Thursday evening. I like the speed limits out here unfortunately not in an Italian car but driving a 5 liter GT Mustang for the week. I don't particularly like these cars but better than a minivan for the week.

8. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Welcome to Texas Patrick! Enjoy San Antonio, one of Texas better cities.

9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Maybe it's all the talk that they eat clutches? I did some simple searching about maintenance costs and I kept coming across claims that they need new clutches every 10,000 miles or so. Is this true?

I love this car too but I would use it for a daily driver. Putting in a new clutch every year at $8,000 is a deal breaker for me.

10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Absolutely not true - I put carbon ceramic brakes on mine from an FF and tracked it extensively - 16,800 miles and zero problems

11. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I have almost 40k on mine, and still on original clutch. That said, it IS a consumable, and WILL need to be replaced if you own one of these cars. The fact that this car for sale has had the clutch done is a huge selling point, and should be good for 40-50k miles if driven properly.

12. How is it driving? Do you put it in neutral at a light? Is there an automatic mode or do you always use the paddle shifters?

13. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    All great to know, thank you. Shows that most of the internet info on car problems is false/hearsay.

14. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I hope I am not hi-jacking this thread, if so mods or the OP please let me know. Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of this car, and never plan on selling mine. First, I believe its one of the most beautiful modern car designs out there, its just a stunning design in my opinion. The sellers car is unique, I have never seen it in silver and it looks amazing, probably better in person. Second, the sound is unreal. It just screams, smacks and pops on overrun in sport mode. A 355 with capristo might sound better, but not much else does in my opinion. Third, the manual F1 transmission is awesome. Sure, shift times are not as fast as the modern boxes. I have a new Giulia QV that is razor quick on the shifts, but far less fun and engaging as the F1. The GTS feels like a three pedal car, because it basically is. It has the same sensation, you can hear/feel the clutch disengage, match revs, clutch re-engage, and throttle on, just like a 3 pedal car. A robotic arm and a computer are doing the work of the third pedal. It feels like you are driving a clutch car (because you are...).

To answer your question, I have NEVER driven my GTS in any other mode other than manual sport. And I mean never. Not once. I always hit both buttons. You come to a stop just like in a three pedal car, put it in neutral. When launching, click into gear and get off the clutch as fast as you can to limit clutch slip. I have heard, but cannot verify, you extend clutch life driving this way. It makes sense as you limiting the clutch slip. If not driven well, you could smoke a clutch just like on a three pedal car.

These cars are a steal. If I were buying one, I would a) make sure it has a new or good clutch b) make sure the F1 actuator is not leaking and c) confirm it doesnt have the cam variator issue. Of course doing all the normal PPI stuff as well.

EarlyCat and Dave rocks like this.
  15. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    FWIW, I bought PATLEW's 360 several years ago, and it was a very well maintained, properly represented car. A pleasure to do business with.

16. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    If you really want to have fun turn off all driving aids with one button then put it on the track

17. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    No not true the original clutch had 30k on it before I replaced it.

18. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Any way you want when stopping just like all other f1 clutches it will shift automatically for you if you do not do it manually.

19. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Hey thanks for chiming in Falcon Wing. How is that 360? I should have kept that car but always moving into a different car. Good to hear from you.

20. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    I did that once and the car let loose so I always drove in sport mode with traction assistance on. Plus tires not so cheap to just run the rubber off them at will.

21. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
  22. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    send some recent photos

23. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I understood that it was a 599 F1 tranny in 2009

24. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I was running on the track when I had all off trying to see what I could get out of the car so was ready getting loose

25. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    correct