Old photos of UK Ferrari | Page 39 | FerrariChat

Old photos of UK Ferrari

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wheels1, Dec 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    First owner was a Mrs Davis, right Marcel? Assuming that is correct, do you have any more information about her?

-Ed

2. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Married to Dickie

3. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I don't have the source for this image (web says Pininfarina - but Maranello Concessionaires more likely, surely?), but can anyone confirm whether it is s/n 10479?

Bonus points if you can name the location of the photoshoot (I already know).

-Ed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, bernardo66 and MalcQV like this.
  4. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    330 GT #6131 photographed in Curzon St in 1966. Argento.

I believe that it was owned by M C Jones and later by R A Porter (who had it painted red) and was last offered at Slades, according to the 330 GT register. It might have also been painted black at some point

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv and of2worlds like this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds and bernardo66 like this.
  6. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Whoever thatched that roof did a very nice job.

7. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks Marcel. In case anyone had pondered the location of the first photo, it was shot at Corfe Castle in the UK. The Old Tea House is now The Sweet Shop.

Would be interesting to find out whether the woman in the first photo is connected to the photoshoot, or just a passer-by (outfit suggests the former). Anyone know the location of the thatched building in the photos posted by Marcel?

-Ed

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I had wondered as the scene looked very familiar. It all looked too perfect, more like a museum than real life. Corfe Castle explains this! Are Marcel's images taken somewhere nearby? Lots of thatched houses around there.

9. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Can anyone confirm whether the ex Eric Miller 330 GT, s/n 6019 GT, survives? I know it was in an accident in the 1970s at Silverstone. Was it written off? All leads greatly appreciated.

-Ed

10. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Christian.Fr and Robert W like this.
  11. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    Lovely photo Mark -- what an event -- was lucky enough to be there --have quite a few photos which i digitised last year

12. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Agree completely. This was the second (of 4) Ferrari focused Monterey weeks I have been to and probably the last where real car guys totally outnumbered poseurs and admission to the major events did not require a mortgage. Still a great event but sadly a lot more commercial now.

13. Long-wheelbase

Long-wheelbase Karting

Jul 20, 2004
  14. Long-wheelbase

Long-wheelbase Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    MalcQV likes this.
  15. Long-wheelbase

Long-wheelbase Karting

Jul 20, 2004
  16. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    For sure. Is this car still in Australia, and still Red / Tan?

-Ed

17. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Er..isn’t this a fibreglass 308GTB, so the chassis number would be earlier?

18. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    250 GTE s/n 2185GT on reg plate YP 4. Photo kindly supplied by Professor John Guillebaud, who owned the car when the image was captured in the late 1960s. This was the 1960 Earls Court show car, and is currently owned by Bob Houghton (car features in latest issue of Enzo magazine).

There were at least two previous owners before Prof Guillebaud, who subsequently sold it to a Mr Ryder, and this owner consigned the GTE to an auction in 1973 (catalogue pic below). It sold for £1,700, which would equate to about £21,000 today.

-Ed

19. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    365 GT4 BB s/n 18165 on reg plate RCM 66 and in Rosso Rubino. Photos kindly supplied by Richard Milner, who owned the car when the images were captured in period.

This Boxer (18165) appeared on the cover of MOTOR magazine in w/e 25 October 1975 on reg plate KPD 622P, and was subject of a multi-page spread inside.

Despite the 'Show Report' cover line and timing of the magazine, I believe this car was NOT the 1975 Earls Court show car (that was almost certainly s/n 18685 - also dark red, but Rosso Cordoba).

-Ed
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

bertrand328, miurasv and of2worlds like this.
  20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Is this the car that was restored for Bob Houghton by Mike Osgood around 9 years ago Ed?

21. Long-wheelbase

Long-wheelbase Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    The 1974 London Motor Show was apparently #18145 in Rosso Chiaro with beige hide the 1975 London Motor Show was #18627 Marrone Colorado with beige hide. Happy to be corrected

22. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    I agree 18627 was at the 1975 London Show however that was a 365 GT4 2+2 not a Boxer. It was later repainted red and hasn’t been seen for many years.

23. Long-wheelbase

Long-wheelbase Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    You are quite right #18685 was the 365 GT4 BB and in Rosso Cordoba with beige hide

24. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Phew! ;)

-Ed