512BBi Clamshell Foam | FerrariChat

512BBi Clamshell Foam

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stevenschuh, Jun 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevenschuh

stevenschuh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2008
    Gibson Island, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve Schuh
    Every few years, someone asks this question. But the answer has always been the same: unobtanium. Does the correct replacement foam exist for the underside of the clamshell, and does anyone know where to get it?

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    No

I have a sample here and Ive hit a dead end because of cost. Its heat stamped and I need to make a die to put the impression in the foam which also puts a skin on it from the heat. I don't want to drop $15K for the first pair and be stuck with enough material to do 5000 more injected boxers. Im not convinced I can sell enough to offset the cost.

3. stevenschuh

stevenschuh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2008
    Gibson Island, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve Schuh
    What do you think the retail price would be for the finished material? I know I'd pay a fair chunk of change for that. And once a few people do it, everyone has to in order not to be marked down in judging. I would think anyone that shows his car would buy the stuff. At $250, its 60 buyers; at $500 it's 30; etc. I would bet there's a sweet spot in there somewhere.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Tough to say if its worth it. If the judges are turning a blind eye, only the diehard will insist on making it right. I would hate to be stuck with all that leftover foam but then again I could make a boxer clamshell foam pit for my kids to jump in.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i need some too.

6. jjtarnow

jjtarnow Rookie

Oct 31, 2012
    Millburn, NJ
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I need some as well..